Dx changed from MS to Lyme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MSLazarus View Post
    He told me that untreated Lyme can trigger MS.
    I have heard the same thing. It sounds like any kind of bacteria or virus can be the trigger for MS. I tested positive for Epstein Barr. So I guess its possible to have both diseases and have them be completely separate without mixing one up with the other one - first Lyme and then MS that really is MS.

Comment

I am going to sound like a 'broken record', here. but I am still going to 'harp' on the testing of your vitamin levels. You should get your vitamin D, B-12 and magnesium levels tested and optimized. You should also need to be aware of your probiotic situation since you are probably taking a lot of antibiotics. Ignoring these could be very harmful to your health. Good luck

Comment

Celiac and MS

This is an interesting article about gene typing of serotype HLA-DQ2 which is found in Celiac disease and an association of the same in autoimmune disease.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HLA-DQ2#In_coeliac_disease

Here is another
        "Major histocompatibility complex class II alleles and the course and outcome of MS: a population-based study.". Neurology
        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9748020

Comment

I went through the Lyme not MS dx years ago. I was seem by a well known Lyme disease doc in Connecticut. He found 5 strains of lyme all reported to the CDC. I even had my blood sent out to several other doctors and labs around the country to confirm it. I was on IV rocephin for a year.

I had no attacks for 15years afterwards, I recently even had a neuro try to change my MS dx once and for all a couple weeks ago, even though I was in the middle of an attack.

So after going through the MS/Lyme disease drama, it has left a bad taste with me. Be careful.
          Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

@Katje, I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that your neuro wanted to change your dx to MS?

Comment

Hi JerryD--Yeah, I've had the vitamins D, B-12 and Magnesium tested and over 400 other tests. I lost count at 400. Undergoing treatment for Lyme now and the Lyme doc says that not only can MS be induced by Lyme but I tested positive for two genes halotypes HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 that predispose me to MS and Celiac Disease and other autoimmune diseases.

Comment

That's haplotypes, not halotypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiela View Post
                  @Katje, I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that your neuro wanted to change your dx to MS?

No they said I had chronic Lyme disease. After a year of that nonsense I went to the rocky MS clinic myself and asked for meds. I have MS, I have lesions on my brain. I have issues with neuros for years trying to dx me with other things. It's very clear I have MS, as a matter of fact after years of no activity... oh no I had an attack. New lesions.

If you have a clear MRI follow with the Lyme dx, you have lesions I am willing to bet it's MS.

I was told by a hematologist recently that people with auto immune diseases such as MS can get odd blood results like that. They thought I had thick blood, lyme etc.... when I really just had plain garden variety MS.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for your reply Katje. I do have just one lesion on my brain in the anterior horn area. I also have symptoms of the MS hug and have had for almost four years every day but they were not able to find a lesion on my spine, so two neuros said no MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiela View Post
                      Interesting. Thanks for your reply Katje. I do have just one lesion on my brain in the anterior horn area. I also have symptoms of the MS hug and have had for almost four years every day but they were not able to find a lesion on my spine, so two neuros said no MS.

I dont have a lesion on my spine, never did. Many people don't and still have MS. There is a difference between MS lesions and Lyme disease lesions. I would get another opinion.

With Lyme you get joint pain and heart issues if it's chronic.

Comment

@MSLazurus. I had Lyme about 6 years. Time will tell I guess.

Comment

Working...
                        X