Increased stiffness and finger pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increased stiffness and finger pain

My stiffness this week has just worsened over several days and now my fingers are very painful. I can't tell if it is finger joint pain or if its just the same stiffness of everything else. A few days ago I had some of the most painful pain in my legs that I have had to this point. Felt like I was leaning over and touching my toes all the time, burning and pulling. I can't take baclofen or zanaflex because of some serious side effects (hallucinated with zanaflex). I am trying to decide if I should call the doc or wait a few more days to see if it gets better. I really don't want to go on steroids again. They make me feel so horrible. Hummm...what to do, what to do?
    Alliecjty
    RN, Mom and MS fighter

What did you take for your legs or has it gone now? If you've got both, I'd be calling the doctor. There'll be something that can be done. It might be 'roids, or it might not.

Comment

I take ativan to help with the spacicity. I know its not the best but its all the docs will give me right now because I have such bad side effects to the other muscle relaxers. And I take Lyrica which is great. I took a hot bath last night, although it is not a good idea with MS, but it helped with the stiffness everywhere and loosened me up. Guess I need to talk to the doc. My next neuro appointment is in March and he is impossible to get a hold of, i have tried over and over. I have to use my PCP as back up too much. I need a new neuro.
      Alliecjty
      RN, Mom and MS fighter

Comment

allie,
        I have an idea about pain and spasms. Why not use Epsom salts in your bath. Your body will absorb some of the magnesium from the salts. Also, why no try a magnesium supplement. I use a powder named Natural Calm. it is a magnesium supplement and also helps with bowel regularity. It is a known topic that there is a lack of magnesium in most Americans' diet. That why you see all of the TV commercials about Milk of Magnesia etc. Good luck

Comment

Thanks Jerry, I actually did soak in epsom salts last night and I guess it helped some. I just can't soak in a tub 24 hrs a day lol. There has to be a better solution. Guess I will be visiting the doc this week.
          Alliecjty
          RN, Mom and MS fighter

Comment

Pain and stiffness in fingers

Hi Alliecjty,

I too have pain in my fingers and joint as of late. I take Neurontin(for RLS) and left leg nerve pain and have had to increase it a month ago. I am now on 300mg x 5 a day. 1500mg, hmmm.

That is when I noticed the pain in my fingers on my right hand. I do have right leg pain that started recently. I am attributing it to the increase.

Remember, our meds deplete things in our bodies that we are not aware of.

I agree with JerryD. I too read about magnesium. I talked with my chiropractor about the pain and increase in meds. He was concerned and asked me to try something and see if it works. He is into herbal supplements.

He gave me a supplement called MuscleEeze PM. It has magnesium and calcium in it. It also has melatonin. I take 2 caps at night 90min before bed. It helps me sleep (rls would keep me up at night). I am going to try it for a month to see if it helps. If it does, then i will tell my neuro about it.

I am changing my diet a bit too. I am taking the asparatame out of my regiment. I take one in my tea two times a day sometimes three. I know that is not good for you. I changed the sweet and low to Truvia. My husband is a diabetic and likes it.

I will let you know what happens for me in a month.

Talk with your neuro or your pcp about your pain. Check your meds to see if it is a side effect. The longer we are on meds the more it challenges our bodies.

Let me know how it goes for you! I will put you in my prayers that you find relief. God Bless!
            STR

Comment

I have been waking up with my fingers hurting and stiff in the morning. I have not taken anything for it. Mine just started about a week ago. I hope you get some relief from it and figure out what to take.

Comment

response

Stretching and exercising can help! You can massage ointments used specifically for this. I've heard they really aid in easing out stifness and spasms.
                Andrea.G.Wolford

Comment

Working...
                X