Lumbar Puncture after care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumbar Puncture after care

I'm having a LP done next week in my neurologist's office. I'll have a ride but I'm wondering how important it is to lay flat after. I happen to live on the 4th floor of an apartment building with no elevator.
    So, if I lay back in the car during the very short trip home just a few minutes away, and then very carefully climb those flights of stairs into my apartment and then get settled into bed asap.. should I still be ok after that and avoid the headache?

I had a LP done a few years ago in this same living situation. I came home after, climbed the stairs (not really an alternative with no elevator lol) and then settled myself in with drinks and movies to watch.
    The first several hours seemed ok but I remember that night having THE WORST headache of my life! Nauseous and dizzy and in severe pain every time I stood up to walk to the bathroom.

I don't know if it was because of all the stairs or if it was just a coincidence. Maybe lightning won't strike twice

My guess is that the stairs did have something to do with headache. Staying flat is important to minimize the CSF pressure on the LP site so it doesn't leak thats what causes the HA. Try not lay down with your head and shoulders propped up. Maybe your right lighting won't strike twice.
    Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Many variations on number of hours needed to lay flat.

[QUOTE=dalechilders51;1396411]My guess is that the stairs did have something to do with headache. Staying flat is important to minimize the CSF pressure on the LP site so it doesn't leak thats what causes the HA. Try not lay down with your head and shoulders propped up. Maybe your right lighting won't strike twice.[/QUOTE

It could have been the stairs. Plus I might have been propping my head and shoulders up with pillows so I could see the tv better.
      Some doctors tell their patients to just lay down for a few hours, some say 12 or even up to 24. And apparently some think it's just anecdotal advice along with the caffeine and fluid suggestions and that none of it matters as long as the LP is done correctly.

My boyfriend's apartment also has a lot of stairs otherwise he would have invited me to recover there. He suggested maybe we could go to a motel after and it would be quiet, relaxing and maybe a nice soak in the tub too.

Comment

I did everything they said and the next day when I went to work I ended up going home because of the headache and ended up having to lay flat for another whole day. When I saw my family doctor the next time he told me if I had drank a couple of beers I would have done better. Not sure how true that is but he is a doctor that I have trusted my whole life so I will try it if I ever have to have it done again.

Comment

Originally posted by lisa1014 View Post
          I did everything they said and the next day when I went to work I ended up going home because of the headache and ended up having to lay flat for another whole day. When I saw my family doctor the next time he told me if I had drank a couple of beers I would have done better. Not sure how true that is but he is a doctor that I have trusted my whole life so I will try it if I ever have to have it done again.

A couple of beers? That's a new one! I thought alcohol was a no-no because it's dehydrating. Hmm.. come to think of it, so is caffeine but a lot of docs will say to consume lots of that the first day or two as a headache preventive.
          I guess it's an individual thing and like you said, sometimes it happens no matter what. Sorry your experience was one of the bad ones.

Comment

I had LP just about a week ago. I came home and relaxed in my recliner until I went to bed. I had three days off from work. I had no headaches and felt fine. I think the steps may not be a good idea. If you could stay with a family member for a day or two that would probably be better.

Comment

Had one done at 9am and went back to work within 1/2 hour, drank coffee and mounain dew while there for caffine and had no problems what so ever, if i remember correctly it was a friday and I played golf on sat. My dr told me that women of child bearing age are more prone to the head ache issue for some reason.
              Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by acaverly View Post
                I had LP just about a week ago. I came home and relaxed in my recliner until I went to bed. I had three days off from work. I had no headaches and felt fine. I think the steps may not be a good idea. If you could stay with a family member for a day or two that would probably be better.
                That's great that yours went well!
                I don't have any family nearby to stay with. I've decided to accept my boyfriend's offer for an overnight in a motel on a ground floor with no stairs. We both live in places with very steep and long staircases, and hoping to avoid the giant headache this time around. We're also traveling (first trip together!) in a couple of weeks and he doesn't want me to take any chances.

Comment

Good idea for the hotel. It is better to be safe than sorry I would say. Enjoy your quiet! Good luck with the procedure.

Comment

Motel sounds like a good idea. Even last minute you can get some great deals online. I have expensive taste but can't remember the last time I paid full price for a hotel. The site I like best is Hotels, if you are in a city Hoteltonight has great deals.

I would be careful about taking a tub, you can't lie flat without drowning and the heat might not be a good idea.

I did fine as far as headache was concerned despite an hour long car ride home. The bad part was that I think the Dr mistakened my back for a pincushion. I lost count after she tried 5 times and I should have told her to stop!

Good luck - M
                    M.
                    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by lisa1014 View Post
                      Good idea for the hotel. It is better to be safe than sorry I would say. Enjoy your quiet! Good luck with the procedure.
                      Thanks
                      Yep, better safe than sorry. I'm going to allow myself to be spoiled. Lucky me!

Comment

pincushion? ouch!

Originally posted by maitrimama View Post
                        Motel sounds like a good idea. Even last minute you can get some great deals online. I have expensive taste but can't remember the last time I paid full price for a hotel. The site I like best is Hotels, if you are in a city Hoteltonight has great deals.

I would be careful about taking a tub, you can't lie flat without drowning and the heat might not be a good idea.

I did fine as far as headache was concerned despite an hour long car ride home. The bad part was that I think the Dr mistakened my back for a pincushion. I lost count after she tried 5 times and I should have told her to stop!

Good luck - M

That sounds awful
                        My doctor said he gives up if it doesn't work within the first couple tries. He said it hardly ever happens but sometimes a person could have a bone spur or something which makes it difficult.. but it almost always goes smoothly.

re: the tub soak, Yeah probably not a good idea (though it was very sweet of my boyfriend to think of that as part of relaxation).

You had an hour long car ride after?? Wow.

Comment

If they do it with an xray there is no guessing, they get it right the first time,that is how they did mine. I was laying on my stomach when they did mine.

Comment

Good luck. Because you have previously had problems, the hotel may be a very good idea.

Did you know that you can go the ER for a blood patch (I think that is what it is called) if you have the headache ?

My doctor told me that lying flat after LP doesn't make a difference as to whether you get the headache. You are either going to get it, or not. I believed him and it worked out fine.

I had almost 2 hr. ride home after and then just sat on couch for a few hours. Drank some Mountain Dew. Used the stairs and went to work next morning with no headache. Sounds like I was fortunate.

I was very surprised because I always seem to get side effects from things.

Comment

Originally posted by acaverly View Post
                              If they do it with an xray there is no guessing, they get it right the first time,that is how they did mine. I was laying on my stomach when they did mine.
                              I think I remember the doctor saying that if he doesn't get it right on one or two tries he then goes to the x-ray.

Tomorrow is the day. I hope it goes smoothly! And it probably will.

Comment

Working...
                              X