Getting a dog for exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a dog for exercise

My neurologist has said one of the best things I can do for my MS is to walk. I asked him to write me a letter allowing me to have a companion dog as a person with a disability, which he did. I've owned dogs before. The last dog I had was an unusually high energy puppy compared to two other puppies I raised. What was worse is that his barking could be heard half-way down the block. After 4 months of trying, I had to rehome him. Debarking surgery was not an option I would consider.

My question to all of you with dogs is, does having a dog help you get exercise or is the work involved in having a dog too hard to manage with your MS? I realize that the answers could vary greatly depending on the severity of your MS. I have relapsing-remitting, currently have to rest 3 hours in the aft. to be able to function later in the day, and have not been able to work since 2009. Fatigue is probably my most difficult symptom. And yet, I do miss walking a dog and miss the companionship. I don't see much of my grown children; they are so busy with their own lives.

If you do have a dog, could you imagine owning a dog w/o a family member to help? This is a difficult question w. many variables, but if others would like to weigh in, I would be grateful. Thank you!
    "Life is full of suffering; it is also full of the overcoming of it." Helen Keller

Considering the number of expensive treadmills etc. that sit unused in people's basements because they thought they would embark on a new exercise regimen makes me think a dog probably isn't the best idea to start.

Since you have been through the agony of having to rehome a dog in the past I'd suggest you consider volunteering at a local shelter to walk dogs if you think that would be the best form of exercise for you. That way when you are up for it you could get your exercise and also do a good deed without being burdened with a living being that depends on you if you aren't doing well.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

I guess it depends on the breed you get. We've had Weims and there's no way I could exercise them enough.

They're happy because I'm home all day, and they are couch potatoes, but when my husband comes home, at lunch or after work, he makes sure they get some rigorous exercise. We have a fenced in back yard, and a pool if they want a swim, but that wouldn't be enough exercise, and a walk would not be enough for this breed. They need to run.

But there are lots of breeds who would do fine with less exercise. The only question I'd consider is do you have someone who can help you with the dog should your MS flare up, or your walking deteriorate. A dog lives about 10 years, and looking back over the last 10 years of my MS, I've definitely lost stamina and the ability to walk very far.
      That probably wouldn't keep me from getting a dog, I'd just make sure it was one that should my MS deteriorate I had a breed that didn't need a lot of exercise.

As to Jules idea of a treadmill, I've seen dogs on the Dog Whisperer exercised on a treadmill...so I guess there are alternatives for exercise for a dog rather an a walk around the block...you and the dog could use the treadmill

I definitely feel that pets are good for our psyche, but a cat or dog could provide that.

Comment

Having a dog was the best thing for my MS. I had a very sweet black lab/hound mix. She became my best friend, constant companion, and walking buddy. She loved to chase a ball and play, which kept my spirits up.

The hardest part was training her, but, once she was, it was so worth all the time and energy.

She was my constant companion for almost nine years. I walked her almost every day. The joy she received in walking lifted my spirits, as well, and, of course, the exercise helped my energy level and kept my muscles strong. In August, I lost her to illness. For two months afterwards, I didn't go for walks. It was too emotional for me. I still tear up thinking of her. A couple months after she died, my hip and legs began to hurt and I had to get some physical therapy. They told me that I am very weak in the hips and legs. I couldn't believe I became that weak that fast. It shocked me. I am now slowly getting back into walking. I would go everyday if I had my sweet girl back. They definitely motivate you to get outside.

So, from my experience, I say 'yes' a dog really, really helps. They give you so much love and joy and a good reason to go for a walk. We will be getting another dog soon. I hesitate only because I know how much training is involved. But with a few months of training (it doesn't happen overnight) you get a doggy lifetime of joy.

I wish you the best.

Comment

YES, YES, YES!!!!

I have 3 dogs, I walk them 3-4 times a day. I do not have a job and live in a small apt. When days are really bad I go for very short walks. When days are good we go for long, long walks. I feel much better knowing I am out getting some excercise.

Besides the excercise the love and companioship is unexplainable.

Dogs can be trained not to bark continuouly. You can buy a bark collar. You can have them trained. You can take them to a training class or buy a book on how to train.

I love mine and when days are bad they cuddle on the bed with me and I know they feel the pain.

Good Luck
          DIAGNOSED=2012
          ISSUES LONG BEFORE
          REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

What is involved in a companion dog? Do people check in with you on a regular basis? I know nothing other than a ton of work is put into these animals and you might be blessed to have qualified for one. Is there financial assistance? Dogs are expensive, especially once they get old. There is a lot to consider. I walked homeless dogs like Jules suggested and will return to it once the paths melt down to a safe level. Good luck!
            Tawanda

Comment

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my dog! Yes, I definitely would get a dog if I were the only person responsible or lived alone.

Having never owned a dog (as you may have guessed by my user name) I didn't know if I could be the kind of dedicated owner that any dog deserves so I signed up to be a foster parent at a reputable rescue organization. The role being just to socialize the dog prior to it being adopted.

I thought this would give me an idea of what it would be like to own a dog and have opportunity to see what different breeds are like. Also, if the dog wasn't compatible with my family, or my MS, they place it with another foster and I would foster another dog.

My family and I fell in love with my first foster dog and ended up adopting him (foster parents get first dibs to adopt their foster dog). He just adds so much to my life by simply existing!

There's a quote but don't know who to credit for it but it says something like "Until you've loved a dog, a part of your soul remains unopened". Please keep us updated!
              Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Maybe you should consider a small dog that would love a walk if you could get out, but would be okay without one. Do you have a fenced hard? Helps if you can just let them out in the yard on the days you're not feeling well.

Sometimes I think my two little dogs, and two cats, understand me much better than my family/friends! They curl up with me, comfort me, listen to me (yes, we do chat!), smile at me, and help me feel joy!

Big decision...good luck!
                Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

Originally posted by Mac87 View Post
                  My neurologist has said one of the best things I can do for my MS is to walk. I asked him to write me a letter allowing me to have a companion dog as a person with a disability, which he did. I've owned dogs before. The last dog I had was an unusually high energy puppy compared to two other puppies I raised. What was worse is that his barking could be heard half-way down the block. After 4 months of trying, I had to rehome him. Debarking surgery was not an option I would consider.

My question to all of you with dogs is, does having a dog help you get exercise or is the work involved in having a dog too hard to manage with your MS? I realize that the answers could vary greatly depending on the severity of your MS. I have relapsing-remitting, currently have to rest 3 hours in the aft. to be able to function later in the day, and have not been able to work since 2009. Fatigue is probably my most difficult symptom. And yet, I do miss walking a dog and miss the companionship. I don't see much of my grown children; they are so busy with their own lives.

If you do have a dog, could you imagine owning a dog w/o a family member to help? This is a difficult question w. many variables, but if others would like to weigh in, I would be grateful. Thank you!
                  I would suggest a small, senior dog. There are many at the shelters and most want a puppy or young dog. My experience with adopting senior dogs has been wonderful. And you may just save a life

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                    I guess it depends on the breed you get. We've had Weims and there's no way I could exercise them enough.
                    I also have weims - Piper and Tillie - my user name. They are such a blessing! Yes, they need exercise but I've been very fortunate in that my MS is quite benign and the dogs are happy just hanging on the couch when I'm not up to a walk. I certainly wouldn't recommend them to the faint of heart but they are my loves.

To the OP, I agree with the others about fostering or volunteering with a rescue organization to get a feel for different dogs & breeds to find out if this would be a good fit for you!

Comment

Originally posted by piper.tillie View Post
                      I certainly wouldn't recommend them to the faint of heart but they are my loves.
                      We love the breed, and would never have another breed, but your comment about "the faint of heart" made me chuckle. So true!

Comment

dogs

LOVE my dog... he is so great to me. If you are considering getting a dog to encourage you to walk I would ask yourself would you have a child so you wouldn't be alone? Yes, a dog is much different than a child, but still need a good amount of care and is a lifestyle change. My dog does affect my lifestyle... no spur of the moment weekend trips or late night happy hours .... etc.

I would suggest trying out a dog for a time. There is a group called Canine Companions for Independence that is always looking for puppy raisers. You would get a puppy and be resonsible for its care for about a year. The dog then goes to "Advanced Training". If the dog does not "pass" this portion of training, you are offered the first opportunity to adopt the dog. If you did this or a similar program, you could try a dog out to see if it is for you, and could end up with a great dog in the end.

Comment

I have 4 dogs of my own and run a dog boarding kennel; at times I have 14 dogs.

The dogs give me a reason to get up in the morning They give me a reason to stretch and walk. They give me someone to snuggle to when I get home at night. They are my family.

A treadmill is no substitute for a living breathing friend.

There are many many breeds that are mellow, laid back dogs that just like to hang out. And, as mentioned there are options for fostering dogs or walking a dog at a shelter until you find one that fills your heart.

The companionship and love that a dog offers far outweigh any cost or inconvenience.

GET A DOG

Justacowgirl.
                          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Dog Walks.

I want to lend my support to dog walks. We have a Beagle named Alle' short for Allelujah. When she get pudgy I notice my weight has gone up.

I am going through a relapse now but fortunately it is not one with a lot of fatigue. It has more to do with stiffness, pain in my legs. Tightening of the back of my knee I guess because I don't want to move a lot. Sometimes they are like jello. (Then I use a cane.) But otherwise when I do take Alle' for a walk - usually a couple of blocks - when we get back I have no noticeable pain or stiffness and her tongue is dragging on the sidewalk. (That's how I know how far enough is enough.)

My mental state does not want to walk but it does us both good. I have to kick myself in the butt to do it but and always glad I did it. I find that then I have more energy to do more outside things the rest of the day. Must be "runner's high or adrenaline rush???"
                            Dave in Tampa, Florida
                            "Journeyman"

Comment

Thank you for all the wonderful responses!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to write and to share your thoughts. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with me.

Of course, I know a dog is different than a treadmill and that dogs require a lot of care. I guess I wasn't clear in my initial post. I'm an experienced dog owner and have even fostered dogs. What I've found myself questioning is that as my MS gradually worsens, can I still take care of a dog right now at this moment? Thirteen years ago I raised a golden retriever from puppyhood. When she got old enough, we walked at a dog park for 45 min.-1 hour every day. That is, I walked. She ran! Emma now lives with my ex-husband and will be 14 in May.

The man who wrote that even when he has to force himself to walk, he feels better afterwards was definitely true of my walking Bronte most of the time. There were times I overdid it, and we walked for over an hour. By the time I got home, I needed to lie on the couch. But that was my own fault. I got caught up in the joy of walking on a nice day and did too much. Most of the time, my body felt better for having walked. And because I lived on the 3rd floor at the time (crazy for someone with MS, I know), I also had legs that were in great shape. At my yoga class, my hamstrings were the only muscles that were not tight!

I'm coming up on my 5-year anniversary of diagnosis. Five years ago on Jan. 12 I was in the ER to try to discover why the left side of my face went numb. And on Jan. 25, 2008, I had my first (and only) lumbar puncture as part of my journey to diagnosis. My MS-caused fatigue is definitely worse than 5 years ago. I went from needing to lie down for 20 minutes in the afternoon (after walking 4 blocks and back to the local Co-op) to needing 3 hours of rest before I feel renewed enough to finish my day. Yet, I'm far from in a wheelchair, and all of your posts remind me of the benefits of walking a dog. Unlike a treadmill, a dog will remind you to walk! :-)

Plus, as someone coping with Empty Nest Syndrome, the love and companionship of a dog that many of you mentioned is also important for me and something that I crave. I know that some studies have shown that just petting a dog can lower blood pressure.

I'm in the process of applying to adopt a rescued dog, and as I've searched I've been especially interested in older dogs. Those who wrote that a senior dog might be a great fit have very good points. And those who wrote that low-energy breeds that don't absolutely HAVE to go out for a long walk every day would make sense for someone with MS are also right. I agree completely.

Yes, I know there are debarking collars and the like. Believe me, I tried everything with Bronte: a treat ball, phermone collar, playing the radio when I left, a Lenex Super Anti-Bark Device (at $54 it was super but not anti-bark!), and more. I also consulted with dog trainers. He's in a great home now where he can bark to his heart's content and be outside in the back yard as much as he wants. Of the three puppies I've raised in my life, he was by far the highest energy--even higher energy than our golden retriever. In that respect also, as much as I loved him, it was probably not the best fit for me.

I don't have a fenced yard, which would really help, but I do live next to a wonderful park and in a neighborhood that's a dog walker's paradise. Even our local Ace Hardware and pharmacy have dog treats behind the counter for canine visitors! :-) There are also several dog parks in my area. Finally, I am friends with a retired couple up the street who welcome canine visitors to play with their dog either in their fenced yard or even in their home. All of that helps. Of course, some senior dogs are not interested in playing. We'll see what happens with my adoption.

Thank you all again for writing! I will let you know if I am able to adopt a dog and how it goes.
                              "Life is full of suffering; it is also full of the overcoming of it." Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X