Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Lhermitte's sign

Hi everyone,

This many seem a silly question, but I've had Lhermitte's sign in the past, so I'm acquainted with the buzzing, shooting shocks, tuning fork feeling and all the rest.

But now, when I bend my head forward, I only get tingling in my left hand...is this considered Lhermitte's ?
    Dx 06/07
    Copaxone

Hi sunshyne~ I found an article in MSFoundation here that explains it. http://www.msfocus.org/article-detai...?articleID=331

When I experienced L'Hermitte's, it went down my spine and into my legs, but this article states it can also radiates down the spine and into the arms. Do you feel it going down your spine as well?

I'm just guessing, but maybe it's a pinch nerve in your neck causing the tingling only in your arm? Does it travel down to your pinky finger? I've had that too.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

There is also what is known as reverse L'Hermitte's. It is where the zap/shock goes up from the c-spine to head. This is something I have had, along with other MS sx since I was 14. I have had long periods of time (years even ) w & w/o them.

I had my very worst
      one back in 2009 it was horrible and lasted longer than usual. About 15-20 minutes later I could barely walk even with a walker. I have been lucky and none in the past few years (knock on WOOD), after starting Copaxone.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Seasha and Gomer

Well the other problem is that I know my neck is pretty gimped up...bulging discs, some mild stenosis...blah blah blah So I never know if it's my neck or MS. I don't remember a day when my neck hasn't hurt in the past 10 years.

I don't feel anything in my back with this...don't even feel it in my arm...just my hand. But what makes me suspicious is when I'm in the shower, my handed is tingle nonstop and keeps tingling until about 30 minutes afterwards.

But I'm thinking I have to get back on Copaxone. I took a break after 5 years...maybe break time is over.

I remember when Lhermitte's was at its worse for me about 6 years ago...I was in Target and I sneezed...thank God I was holding on to the cart, because when my head bent forward enough zap happened to just about collapse me...yikes. I will never forget that one!!!
        Dx 06/07
        Copaxone

Comment

I have a c-spine lesion around c5-c6 , not a nice area to have a lesion. I don't get zaps in my hands but I do have partial numbness in my left pinky and adjacent finger related to it 24/7.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I had the same feeling several timesn I have constant tingling in my hands and I have episodes where I can turn up the intensity of the tingling sensation by binding my head. I do believe this is l'hermitties also.
            limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

I have the same issues with my neck (bulging disks, stenosis, etc.) but lately have been having pain down my right arm. I am going for an MRI tomorrow. I've been having such muscle spasms that, as times, I want to cut my arm off. I'm thinking this is MS because I can't imagine the bulging disks would cause muscle spasms. Right?

Comment

Carol...that's a good question.

If we can get spasticity in other muscles, why not our neck?

Two MRIs cited absence of the normal curvature of the cervical spine, then went on to comment, probably due to muscle spasms.

So then what exactly would the difference be? I'm starting to think there is no difference. And where the heck would all these bulgings and come from? I don't get it.
                Dx 06/07
                Copaxone

Comment

I'm hoping for an answer today since I went for the MRI yesterday morning. I will let you know.

Comment

CarolRic

Originally posted by CarolRic View Post
                    I'm hoping for an answer today since I went for the MRI yesterday morning. I will let you know.
                    Carol...If you don't mind sharing...how did your MRI go?
                    Dx 06/07
                    Copaxone

Comment

Working...
                    X