fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fatigue

I get very. very tired in the early afternoon on a pretty regular basis, even when I've slept well the night before. By 4 pm or so, it doesn't feel so overwhelming. Not sure if it's the MS or just something everybody gets. I try to ignore it and just go about my business, but it's a real challenge at times. Anybody else notice something like this?

Naps rule!

Comment

I most definitely think 90% of the people on this forum know exactly what you are talking about. I get up in the morning after sleeping well, and I'm fine until about 1:00 in the afternoon. Then it hits me like a brick. It's overwhelming. If I happen to be driving, I frequently have to pull over. It's disabling.

It's not every single day, but many days. You are not alone!
      Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
      Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
      dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

For many of us, MS fatigue isn't the same as "I was up all night soaring with the eagles" fatigue or "the kids have the flu and I was cleaning the bathroom all night" fatigue.

MS fatigue can feel like your body saying "we lay down NOW or I'll really make you regret it".

Before I was Dx'd, I tried to "push past it". It didn't work well.

If your fatigue seems mild, there are OTC things you can try. If you're already Dx'd with MS by all means talk to your Dr, there are Rx meds out there that can keep you going but not burn you out.

Comment

I get very tired even when I really haven't done anything. When I was teaching high school, I had to take a nap when I got home or I had to be in bed at about 8.

No matter how much sleep I got, I could not focus anymore on essays. Provigil helped a lot, but insurance doesn't always approve it because it's for narcolepsy not MS. Cigna approved it; United does not. You might check w/ your neuro.
          Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

I take Rx'd Amantadine for fatigue. It isn't expensive (compared to other Rx's) and it works fine when I need it.
            There's no buzz or rush, I just don't feel the fatigue.
            The only downsides for me are:

-Constipation. Hoo boy does it bind me up.

-Social Stigma. Amatadine is one of those meds for MS symptoms that wasn't developed for MS. Its actually an anti-bacterial med that is usually Rx'd to people with Hep C. With MS, the effect that helps us is actually a side effect. Try explaining that to a nosey neighbor or co-worker who googles the name on the bottle.

Comment

bbelaine - You've described exactly what happens to me. I've been thinking of doing something about it, but I just hate the thought of taking another pill! Some of these side effects can be nasty. I'm not working so I've been just dealing with it for now.

Comment

I totally understand. I'm wiped by about 3-4 in the afternoon. If I get the chance I take a nap or otherwise I have to push to get through the rest of my day. Unfortunately, people without MS don't get it. I get asked quite often how come you always look so tired? Frustrating, because "just taking a nap" doesn't make the fatigue go away.

Comment

thanks everybody, right now i'm not into taking anymore meds, i just sort of work through it and in a few hours it's more manageable (definitely don't need something that would bind me up more either!) i just try to get anything i really have to do done in the am

Comment

I also get hit with fatigue, generally a couple of hours after I get up in the morning. On a good day, I can deal with it by just resting physically--lying flat on my back for half an hour or an hour. On a bad day, I have to take a nap. (I hate naps!)

I can sometimes prevent it by being very cautious about how I spend my energy, but it's so hard for me to tell how much energy I actually have. Most mornings, I wake up feeling fairly good. And then at some point, I go from a fairly average amount of energy to having to be flat on my back, but I often can't tell when that's going to happen. If I were an electronic device, I'd send me in for a warranty replacement due to a faulty battery indicator!
                    Accepting reality is not the same as wanting to have a problem. It means accepting something that will be happening whether I want it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by bbelaine View Post
                      thanks everybody, right now i'm not into taking anymore meds, i just sort of work through it and in a few hours it's more manageable (definitely don't need something that would bind me up more either!) i just try to get anything i really have to do done in the am
                      Keep in mind that's how my med effects me.
                      Your mileage may vary and otherwise its been very benign and very handy on the days I need it.

I'm also trying to keep my meds to a minimum. Just be aware there are ways to knock down the effects of fatigue.

Comment

I feel as if I am constantly struggling with pushing beyond the fatigue. It seems to help if I plan for it though. Each day, I try my best to rest for an hour. It doesn't have to be the entire hour. I eat my lunch and usually lay on the couch for a bit.

I do take vit B and recently added mallic acid. I am hopeful that these things combined with making sure I get a good nights sleep and my daily rest will be good for me. I also find that when I am stressed, I feel more tired. Not sure how to make that one not happen though.

Comment

I am impressed with the ppl that say"even after I have had a good nights rest" I fight the fatique every day!!! I take ritalin it really doesn't help much. I now take a nap just about every day. I can't push on. my body won't let me. This is just one of those ms things we have to accept and deal with.

Good luck.

Really what's the trick to a good nights rest? Without more pills.
                          DIAGNOSED=2012
                          ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                          REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

I was not fond of the idea of taking more meds at first but the fatigue has gotten so bad that unless I wanted to just accept the fact that I would be a walking zombie for the rest of my life I decided to go ahead and give the fatigue meds a try...I was on samples of nuvigil that my dr. gave to me for awhile and it was fantastic but its also ungodly expensive and insurance wont touch it for an off label condition...nuvigil's cousin provigil just went generic though and so with a pre authorization my insurance accepted it..it works well when I need it but you have to take a break or your body starts to build up a tolerance to its effects. Before my fatigue got unbearable I exercised every morning and for awhile that was enough to give myself a boost for most of the day. Regardless of whatever route you choose I hope that you are able to find an effective way for you to manage your fatigue! Best of luck to you

Comment

I have fatigue every hour of every day. That's just an MS thing. I think there is a connection with MS and sleep deprivation. Not just sleep deprivation but REAL REM SLEEP !
                              I think there is an endorphin (or lack of) component to this disease that is not making headlines.
                              Let's just say that I felt much worse from fatigue before I was tested at a sleep center. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and fitted with a CPAP. Then I discovered LDN 4.5mgs. It regulates endorphin production. I feel much better, but not like I did before my MS.
                              Then I take 5000 iu's of vitamin D which , I believe, has a little to do with mood elevation/regulation. You know vitamin D deficiency is associated with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

Comment

Working...
                              X