lipo with ms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lipo with ms?

Right before I was dx I had an appointment to talk to a plastic surgeon about getting a lipo procedure. I have since put it off because 1 my medical bills are ridiculous thanks to ms and 2 I was scared of the answer as to weather or not I would be able to go forward with the procedure...... come November I really want to go through with it but I dontt want to make the Ms worse :/ I had a csectionn and honestly the extra skin drives nuts

Before getting my lovely MS I had had had two c-sections and had gotten my body back into shape except for the little ledge of fat and skin that hung over the scar. I wanted to be perfect and thought about plastic surgery.

Fast forward to having a necessary surgical procedure that actually used the same scar. I ended up getting a post surgical staph infection, going to wound care daily for a month and then having the infection trigger PPMS.

Would I have elective surgery today? Heck no. I don't regret the surgery I had because I could have died without it. But I really don't care about my little ledge now lol. We all have defects, and that is minor.

Plus if you have extra skin liposuction will just give you more. You would need a tummy tuck with lipo to remove both fat and skin, which is a hugely invasive and much more expensive procedure.

Just my opinion but things to think about. You are the only one who can decide what is right for YOU. Good luck.
    I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

Plastic Surgery and MS

In addition to MS I have had breast cancer . As part of my treatment I had a right mastectomy. After the surgery and chemo I had an implant placed in the right/cancer side of my chest and simultaneously had a breast reduction/lift on the opposite side. I was very pleased with the way the reduction turned out but was less pleased with the reconstructed side. 6 months after the implant was placed I had revision-reconstruction surgery with a different type of procedure and implant AND a new surgeon.

I made sure that the oncologist, plastic surgeon, general surgeon and neurosurgeon were all aware of what was going on. I took my Rebif faithfully except for the dose scheduled for the night before the surgery. I have not noticed any difference whatsoever in my MS symptoms before and after the surgery. Just make sure all doctors involved know that you have MS - especially any anesthesiologist. The type of anesthesia uses may be different with MS patients.

Some people would consider my reconstruction surgeries to be "elective" surgeries. In some ways my own husband is one of those people. He was fine with me being asymmetrical. I was not. Even insurance companies consider this type of surgery to be "reconstruction" and NOT cosmetic.

Whether or not to go through with liposuction depends on how it will make you feel about your body image. Body imperfections effect people differently. Some can just go with the flow and others find it more difficult to deal with. You just have to figure out where you stand. There is no right or wrong answer to this dilemma.

I wish you luck. Please let us know what you decide to do.

Comment

im dx rrms for about 7 years and just had smartlipo done on my stomach in november 2011. i have to say that some of the pain during healing triggered some symptoms(i have trouble with my legs, balnce and walking amongst other things) but i feel ive been getting worse over the last two years anyway. i made this decision because i just said im young(32) and want something to be happy about while dealing with all of this ms nonsense!...and i can honestly say im so happy i did it! it doesnt make the obvious problems dissapear but i hated my "gut" and felt like a burden was lifted after and it gave me just something to smile about!

Comment

I have done quite a bit of research, and to get rid of the extra skin, you would have to have a tummy tuck and lipo. Smart Lipo (the laser version) CAN tighten skin somewhat, but usually a tuck with lipo gets the best results. One of my closest friends was getting a breast augmentation and decided to have lipo done around her middle while she was at it. She def. regrets the lipo. While it got rid of the fat, it left a nice roll of skin around the middle.

I have had 4 kids and would love a tummy tuck. I am thinking about trying Smart Lipo because it is more affordable, but I don't want to throw money down the drain either if only a full tuck would work!
          Melody
          Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

I am thinking of having liposuction, tummy tuck during c-section, is it ok? I'm 25 years old. I'm 12 weeks pregnant and I have one baby--she's 22 months old. She was delivered in c-section and I'd love to know the risks before doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by smitasharma54 View Post
              I am thinking of having liposuction, tummy tuck during c-section, is it ok? I'm 25 years old. I'm 12 weeks pregnant and I have one baby--she's 22 months old. She was delivered in c-section and I'd love to know the risks before doing it.
              Hello smitasharma54 and welcome to MSWorld.

Do you have Multiple Sclerosis (MS)?

Just wondering if you were searching the internet on Liposuction and came across this thread, which is a couple of years old or if you were wanting to do liposuction but have concerns due to having MS.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have had MS over 20 years and going to have a full tummy tuck. If you look good, you feel good. Why shouldn't we do it?
                Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

I got MS after two months following a large fibroid removal. (Or, I've always had it but this was my first flare. My hands have always trembled.) I used to get Restylane and had a quote for a nose job, but now I'm hesitant to cut unless medically necessary.

Comment

Working...
                  X