Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol consumption

Hello,
    I have read several times that moderate consumption of alcohol helps MS in a way that it delays relapses and also helps in general....
    how many of you agree with this study? I did ask my neuro, as per her, it is not good for me as it is "inflammable"... which is also what my understanding is.. but i keep reading these articles about various studies made and they all tend to recommend moderate consumption of alcohol (mostly in the form of wine).. I used to drink, but after DX i stopped it and it has come down to once in 3-4 months...i really want to know your opinion.. thnx.

I was not allowed to post url here.. sorry

I almost never drink now.
    Not because I have a moral problem with it or a problem with drinking too much.
    The problem is alcohol makes me feel like crap so I quit drinking it.

I miss it some but it is not worth the head-ache and increased symptoms it seems to give me.

If it makes you feel better....Drink up! (I would, if it made me feel better.)

Comment

I found this news bit today online at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...1.03596.x/full

"Patients with relapsing onset Multiple Sclerosis (MS) who consumed alcohol, wine, coffee and fish on a regular basis took four to seven years longer to reach the point where they needed a walking aid than people who never consumed them. However the study, published in the April issue of the European Journal of Neurology, did not observe the same patterns in patients with progressive onset MS."

Having not read the study, I would give the fish most of the credit!

MS sometimes leaves many of us feeling or looking like drunks, so it may not be the best idea to contribute further to that feeling.

In all seriousness, alcohol affects the liver, and many of us use liver-affecting interferons, so we need to be cautious. I do have two or three drinks on a dozen occasions each year.

Comment

I choose to not drink alcohol b/c my DMD can cause liver damage ... and I kinda like my liver!

For this same reason I no longer take acetaminophen.
        DX 10/2008
        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Red wine contains antioxidants while beer can act like a mild laxative (ask anyone who went to college ).

The key is the word "moderate" and drinking too much of anything can be harmful.
          From all the info I could find, there isn't a down side to drinking in moderation and MS if you're taking the main MS meds. The only caveat would be if you're now prone to vertigo or depression (and I can attest to just how much fun drinking and vertigo can be ).

Liver damage doesn't come from moderate drinking, you'd have to be considered "chronic" before that starts to happen.
          The hidden downside to alchoholic drinks are the calories.

Comment

All things are probably okay in moderation. (Except cigarettes and crack cocaine.)

If you're not a drinker, don't start just because a medical report says red wine might be good for you.

Comment

During my last flare, my best friend wanted to get me out of the house as I had been just laying in bed for weeks. We went to a local bar to see a band that I enjoy.
              I drank 2 beers all night long and the rumor ran rampant through work that I had been the drunkest anyone had ever seen me before....LOL
              I have found when I add alcohol my ability to walk well is hindered very quickly and I do look like I have drank quite a bit.
              DX 10/26/11

Comment

When I was first dx and couldn't afford meds alcohol helped muscle spasms.

Now after 6 years, I still enjoy a drink now and then. My speech is alot worse and I am off-balance. So I guess you can say my sx are worse.

But I have alot of fun laughing at people who think I'm drunk.

Comment

I think my biggest concern about MS and alcohol use is the danger of drug interactions. Many people with MS take both Rx and OTC medication, and since alcohol affects every cell in the human body to ignore or hide from the potentional affects would be foolish. If you are not on any medication and an occassional glass of wine or drink fits into your lifestyle I think I am jealous

Just off the top of my head I can say that the following meds can have negative (if not deadly) interactions with alcohol:
                  benzodiazapines
                  opiates
                  Hypnotics
                  Sedatives
                  nsaids
                  Anti-seizure medication
                  Antihistamines
                  antibiotics
                  Antidepressants
                  And many many more...
                  M.
                  A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

spasticity

I find a few drinks helps my spasticity. Too much makes me feel bad, but a few relaxes me and I feel better.

Comment

I too find that a drink or two helps with spasticity. As long as I have 1 or 2 everything is ok anymore than that and the balance is totally gone.

I don't drink on a regular basis but I do like to relax on the weekend with a beer or two.

BTW I take no medication on a regular basis and if I know I may be in a position to have a drink on that particular day I usually forego the meds for the drink. My mind is clearer as long as it is no more 2 drinks and it helps with the spastisity.

Comment

I never did drink much before the meds. But now, Im on some meds and dont want to take the chance of interaction, as one poster had said.

Comment

Alcohol

I think it's generally bad, especially for women. If you take medications to compromise your liver and kidney functions why add more damage. I would give the fish the credit also.

However, I partied a lot in my 20s and I really enjoyed those times. So, my favorite drink on a Saturday is warmed Saki, it makes me feel good not heavy like beer no wine headache.

I'm not sure why I love it so much i only have it when I feel well and sat b/c it's my "shot free" day

I refuse to let this disease, these medications to rule over every bit of enjoyment I have in my life

I probably only do this once every 2-3 months not on a regular basis.

I was always a happy drunk in my youth,LOL on weekends I'm to old to party that hard now but it just takes the edge off and helps me remember the good old days. Life shouldn't be so serious!
                          moment by moment Wendy Rochet

Comment

Gosh am I one of the few here who drink regularly? I have 1-2 small glasses of wine about 5 nights a week.
                            I take Copaxone and Cymbalta - the latter does have liver problems listed as a risk for heavy drinkers but I wouldn't have put myself in that category. I had a liver function test done last month and it was fine.
                            I feel good after 1-2 drinks. Any more and I feel exhausted so I don't exceed this. It helps my muscle tightness, some pains and it helps me sleep.
                            On another note I love that study because I am a dedicated coffee drinker, love fish and my glass of wine. If they threw chocolate into the mix Id be in heaven

Comment

Originally posted by WendyRochet View Post
                              So, my favorite drink on a Saturday is warmed Saki, it makes me feel good not heavy like beer no wine headache.

I'm not sure why I love it so much i only have it when I feel well and sat b/c it's my "shot free" day

!
                              Good dry Saki is hard to find in the states. I was stationed in Japan for a couple of years and Saki is definatly different.
                              Its like your body gets drunk while your mind laughs at it. They also sell these torpedo-sized bottles out of vending machines, something like 5 liters of trouble just daring you to spend the Yen.
                              We used to cheat and use a microwave to warm the wine. I preffered hot, like a cup of coffee served in a very small cup.
                              For those who are interested, be aware there are two types of Saki- Dry and Sweet. Sweet needs to be served cold and you also need to be aware that even sweet Saki tastes like drinking old sweat socks.

Kampai!!

Comment

Working...
                              X