Just had first neuro appointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had first neuro appointment

...and I'm scared, worried, trying not to panic.

The basic story - I've had two "episodes", each last about 28 hours, where I got very drowsy, had extreme tingling/burning on left side, and had a headache.

the first time, about a month ago, the symptoms totally went away.

the second time, (this past weekend), everything went away except tingling/burning in my left foot.

Had a brain MRI done Tuesday, and this is exactly what it says:

"small focal region of T2 prolongation involving the right corona radiata like representing nonspecific gliosis. Considerations such as demyelinating plaque cannot be totally excluded".

so, neuro appointment Thursday was very quick - took my symptoms, did a exam where I pushed/pulled, etc, and then basically said we need more tests.

what I AM confused about is that he said that lots of people could have a gliosis, but if you read about gliosis there's a definite cause (stroke, trauma, MS) - NOT just "born with it". Any insights on that?

he said my symptoms could be a seizure, migraine with prolonged aura, a sleeping disorder (?), blood clot in the brain (which somehow is different than a stroke?) - or MS.

I've had the tingling/burning in my foot for the past week, though, and today when I was in the shower (a hot shower) - it KILLED me - like it felt like it was on fire from the inside out?

and just this afternoon, my lips started tingling. can tingling lips be a MS sign?

thanks for your thoughts. truly. but, hoping I won't have to hang around this forum for a long time. :P

anna

I went for years, first dx with fibromyalgia and for years all my symptons were all due to that, and I was in my 20s then now I am 44 and the end of 2010 I started having very bad dizzy spells and went to my pcp and he ordered a MRI and it showed spots on my brain, I saw my neuro every month for a little over a year before I was finally dx. Guess what I am trying to say is keep your head up and be prepared for a long road, and keep your faith. Hopefully you will not have such a long road ahead of you. Hugs to you and keep us informed
    Anita

Comment

Could be the beginnings of MS, or it could be a number of other things. Too early to tell. You did the right thing to see a neuro and it seems like he is doing the right things.

While you are waiting, assume the worst and watch your diet, start taking Vit D, do your research, etc. Do what you can to get your body on track to fight whatever it is you may have.

We all know the fear you are experiencing, but while you assume the worst, hope for the best and continue with your life.

Comment

Ditto what Jhawk said- hope for the best, prepare for the worst. If it is MS, it's not the bound for the wheelchair kind of thing it used to be. Although there is certainly a lot more we need to learn about this disease, we are at a point where we do have medications to hopefully change the course of the disease and a better understanding of the things we can do, nutrition wise to help.

Do your best to stay in the moment- I know, easier said than done, but it is truly all we have.

Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way. Best of luck and let us know what happens!

Theresa
        Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

Thanks so much. I've been reading tons! Can't help it, ya know?

So, just this evening my entire arm started tingling again. Do MS symptoms (or attacks or flares or whatever they're called) come on this quickly? Like, I was just sitting with my husband watching a movie and my entire arm, over the course of about 10 minutes, was tingling.

And, my lips are still tingling from earlier this afternoon when they started. Can even your lips tingle with MS?

I appreciate the encouragement that ms is not a sentence to a wheelchair-that's immediately what I thought of when "multiple sceloris" came out of the dr's. mouth!

Anna

Comment

Working...
          X