Vertigo is Back!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertigo is Back!??

I was at PT this morning and was there on Tues, one of the exercises has me laying on my side with leg lifts...I noticed both days when I roll to my right, the whole room seemed to be spinning.

Vertigo was one of my first 'warning' signs back in 2004 and I haven't had it since it went away back then...

Anyone else had vertigo as a sign of MS, then it went away, and returned again on its own?

I don't think I'm having a flare, been on Copax since 1/20, last flare was mid Nov to mid Dec, but did not include vertigo, "just" the hug.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

This is how it has been explained to me.

Vertigo and it " slightly lesser evil sister" Dizziness, can indeed be symptoms of MS, but only if it is what is defined as "Central" vertigo. It is a continuous sensation, no matter which way the head is turned and you normally have it when lying down as well. In fact up to 20% of the people have Vertigo or Dizziness as their presenting symptom of MS. And it is usually caused by an unfortunately misplaced lesion in the brain.

What you are describing in your post is Peripheral Vertigo. Most common is called BPPV (Google it), and it brings on Vertigo when one turns their head. This is not caused by MS.

The only way to determine if you have Central or Peripheral Vertigo is an ENT workup, which can be ordered through your neuro.

Katie

Comment

Thanks Katie

Originally posted by KatieDidNOT View Post
      This is how it has been explained to me.

Vertigo and it " slightly lesser evil sister" Dizziness, can indeed be symptoms of MS, but only if it is what is defined as "Central" vertigo.
      The evil sister is with me everyday and is central as you described!

When I had this initially, it was on both sides, but more prominent on the right (my affected leg side), and that is when I went for first brain MRI and lesion consistent to MS showed up. I do seem to be dizzier the past few days/week. Just hope it's not coming back, the rocking boat is bad enough, without it being in a swirling tunnel!!
      Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
      Ampyra 10mg 2xday
      Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Thanks Bell and Katie. I learned the hard way not to look either side when walking. I can stand still and look to side and have coffee everywhere. Have had "swimmer's ear" feeling in right ear a long time. Just figured it was one of the endless and always changing ways MS likes to tell me it truely loves me. Wish I would have told my pc yesterday now. Big Thanks.

Comment

There is dizzy and then there is vertigo. If you have vertigo it is dangerous to you and possibly even to others. If you already go to pt, then ask them to help you "re-set" your inner ear crystals. That is not painful nor complicated, but it IS a God-send! It helps me anyways after I have an attack of vertigo. Good luck to you!

Comment

Vertigo was my first symptom of MS and that's how I ended up getting diagnosed almost a year ago. I have only spine lesions, none in my brain. I haven't had another vertigo episode since, but I am dizzy all the time and honestly dread ever having to deal with the vertigo again! I hope you are feeling better soon

Comment

Originally posted by dpmich View Post
              If you already go to pt, then ask them to help you "re-set" your inner ear crystals. That is not painful nor complicated, but it IS a God-send! It helps me anyways after I have an attack of vertigo. Good luck to you!
              The reset of the ear crystals is called the Epley Maneuver. It will not help Central Vertigo (caused by a brain lesion), only BPPV which is not MS-related. So this is good, if the Epley Maneuver is working on you, it means your vertigo is not MS-related and that your vertigo can be treated quickly and painlessly.

However, if your vertigo (central) is indeed caused by MS, you can do some vestibular-rehab exercises that can be recommended by your physical therapist, but most have limited results.

You will usually have to take a drug for Central Vertigo, normally meclizine for Vertigo and a very small dose of a benzo (such as Valium) for dizziness. And severe Vertigo=Nausea...so you might need something for that. So it is not a simple solution and you can not under any circumstances drink alcohol with any of these drugs. I have been told the drugs don't work for everyone, and sometime steroids have to be used to knock it out.

I personally (IMO) think it is one of the worst symptoms of MS...because it can make you housebound and miserable.

The good news? Vertigo and dizziness do go away sometimes it takes months...and they will rear their ugly heads from time to time. But they do go away.

This too was my presenting symptom, walked into the docs office with dizziness and walked out with MS.

Katie

Comment

Working...
              X