M.S. and Lent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M.S. and Lent

When you are a practicing Catholic (or not) and Lent comes along, it seems ridiculous to "give something up", when so much has already been taken from you!

Although I am not overly religious, I do choose to practice Lent because it is an excellent opportunity for quiet reflection. However, rather than giving something up, I am trying to do something kind for someone else everyday (whether it is done overtly or "in the closet" does not matter), and need some ideas.

I am not looking for huge, whopping, expensive ideas...just little things a person with M.S. on a limited income can do. So far I bought 2 bags of cat treats for a friend who got 2 new cats. I called my 90 year old Aunt today who refuses to wear her hearing aid, so I considered that a good dead as it takes a ton of patience. Today I was going to clean and rake the school bus stop as the weather was so terrific yesterday, and today a freak snowstorm hit!

Got any ideas for me? I don't think doing extra niceties for my immediate family count, because really...shouldn't we all be doing that anyway?'
    Tawanda

What a great idea! I never really got the point of giving something up for Lent not being a religious person. I think paying it forward makes a lot more sense no matter what your faith for they all teach that. In the "all about me" world we live in this truly is a selfless act.

I don't have alot of ideas, however if I am first at the traffic light and there is someone trying to turn I always let them go. (don't try this if you aren't already stopped you will get rear ended) I also find that just saying hello to an elderly person gives me satisfaction when I see their eyes light up and they smile and at the grocery store I always ask if I can return their cart. I find that just being kind to the elderly is greatly appreciated. It doesn't cost a dime!

Comment

Hi Dawn,
      I think "paying it forward" is a great idea, and so easy to do at no expense at all! I love your plan to rake the bus stop area, and the arriving snow interceding on your behalf!

I make it a point to compliment parents on their children in restaurants or grocery stores when they are behaving, and especially when they are not! Parents of small children work so hard, and sometimes get negative "looks" from other customers who are annoyed. A smile, a gentle wave to a youngster, and a kind word go a long way.

And "thank you" goes a long way, too, for a bus driver, someone who stops for you as a pedestrian crossing the street, or holding a door. Thank you with a smile is even better!

Giving is better than giving up!

Be well.
      Terry
      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

I, also, have always tried to "take on" instead of "give up".

If I need to define it as a "give up", I guess I'm giving up a little of my "me" syndrome.

All the niceties that should be practiced daily may just become habit if I / you take them on for the Easter season.

Hold the door, say please and thank you, no road rage, speak kindly, apologize when necessary, don't gloat or brag, and SMILE.

Comment

Paying it forward is always a great idea. After all, it's part of the Golden Rule - do unto others.....

On the religion side of Lent, Christ gave up his life for us so it's only fitting (at least for me), that I attempt to make a sacrifice as well. For me, it's giving up free time to attend Lenten services at my church as often as I can. That's just my take....

Comment

Tawanda,

I consider myself to spiritual, as oppesed to religious.
            But it just so happens I have been giving soda, and taking my morning vitamins with carrot juice.
            (FYI: carrot juice is anti-inflammatory)

So look as if I’m giving up dietary unhealthy earthly desire, and adding a healthy one.
            But I must say doing the same with psychical & spiritual earthly desires like in my viewpoint you have done, has me inspired to do the same.

Thank for the inspiration.
            Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I love your idea of doing something nice at random, if you can afford it, when you are in a drive through line and get to the cash, tell them you would to like to pay for the coffee for the person behind you in line. By the time they go to pay, you'll be long gone.
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

As a survivor of 12 years of Catholic school, I can imagine what the nuns would say about the concept of "niceness" for Lent: It isn't up to us mere mortals to interpret how we want to interpret Lent. The purpose of Lent is suffering and sacrifice, such as Christ suffered and was sacrificed for us. OR Job didn't say, "Um, God? I've already had enough taken away from me. Can't I just do some nice things for somebody else instead?" Then we would be whacked with a ruler.

Seriously, I like the idea. How about sending notes or cards to military servicepersons overseas to thank them for their service and let them know how much we appreciate their sacrifice for us?

Comment

Well I too am a survivor of Catholicism. BUT do you know since Vatican II I believe, the point is not to "give up" now as DOING more for someone else. You can be selfless, altruistic and humbled by looking for ways to be a person of kindness and good deeds.

You can also "sacrifice" without feeling LOSS. In other words, you re-prioritize your life inspired by the Lenten season. My goal is to turn off the TV, my companion at times, and just LISTEN to the Spirit.

On a side note: I never understood NO MEAT when many pig out on a fish fry as part of being so Catholic during Lent either LOL I love fish !!

Like idea paying it forward and trusting one's faith..USING faith to help us get through the tough times.

Jan
                  I believe in miracles~!
                  2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                  Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

At our church (we are not catholic, but still Lent is an important part), our theme is Take Time to Breathe. This year, we are taking more time to reflect, pray, and give more space to breathe. While those of us here know a lot about "forced" rest...I think a lot of people on the outside don't know how to breathe. And even those of us here may not take time to just breathe when we are feeling good. (Ha ha, I don't even take that time when I feel bad except when I finally collapse).

We have a prayer space that is set up so we can pray, breathe and just think at our church right now.

I think Lent is more than just "giving something up". If giving something up is going to make you more resentful or angry, then don't do it. Do something else. Pray, reflect, take some time to breathe in and out. Love someone who needs love (including God and yourself in this). In giving this time, you are giving something up, giving something away...your time, your love.

We are getting ready, preparing for Easter. Reflecting on that time before Easter. I think anything that helps you do that, brings you closer in your relationship (and however you define it) is what you should do.
                    Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Comment

Working...
                    X