Does the tingling ever stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the tingling ever stop?

Hi, I am new to this site and sorta new to MS. I was diagnosed April 2011 after having a pretty major flare which ended up with lesions in my spine. No brain lesions yet...(or since my last MRI in June 2011). I am on Avonex.

I have constant, it never stops, tingling, buzzing, vibrating sensations in my feet, legs, arms, hands, and face. This has been the same since I got diagnosed. So I was wondering if this happens to anyone else or if the tingling should go away. It really drives me crazy!!

Originally posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Hi, I am new to this site and sorta new to MS. I was diagnosed April 2011 after having a pretty major flare which ended up with lesions in my spine. No brain lesions yet...(or since my last MRI in June 2011). I am on Avonex.

I have constant, it never stops, tingling, buzzing, vibrating sensations in my feet, legs, arms, hands, and face. This has been the same since I got diagnosed. So I was wondering if this happens to anyone else or if the tingling should go away. It really drives me crazy!!
    Excellent question! I would love to hear the answer to this one too. My tingling is in my left leg and never goes away. Some days are better than others but it's always there.

Comment

Well, it's never gone away from the last two fingers on my right hand. Only 13 years.

I've had it at times from feet to chest, but most of that has gone, except in the feet.

Earlier on, it was caused by flares, and went when the flares died down

Now, I fear it is nerve damage, and won't be going anywhere.

Comment

Yes I have the tingling, buzzing, and vibrating sensations in my hands, feet, arms, legs and now my face. It feels like I have baseball mitts on my feet and hands. This all started when I had a relapse in Dec 2009. It never lets up. I don't know what "normal" feels like anymore.

I hope you find relief.
        "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
        Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

It's been constant in my left leg, knee down, since a few months ago. Well, actually "constant" is on the bottom of my left foot, but it happens so much from knee down that I consider it constant.

It could very well be that your nerve was damaged in a flare, or it could just be nerves firing and healing themselves. Time will tell.

Comment

For me it starts out on the left side and is just kind of background noise in the morning. Gets worse as the day progresses. If I do too much, it progresses to the right side. Some days are just better than others- I guess I've just accepted that this is my normal- at least for now. I'm just going with it- takes too much energy to fight it
            Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

Immediately after my 2 c-sections my abdomen was numb and felt dead. After a few months it started to tingle, then eventually became normal again. It was the nerves reconnecting and healing.

This is just my unscientific way of saying that tingling might not be a bad thing.
              I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

Originally posted by muse_7 View Post
                It was the nerves reconnecting and healing.

This is just my unscientific way of saying that tingling might not be a bad thing.
                Tingling, Vibrations/buzzing, numbness is known as Paresthesia or abnormal sensations. In the case of MS it does not mean nerves are reconnecting and/or healing. It does indicate damage done by this disease.

Note: There can be other causes for someone to experience Paresthesia and it is not unique to MS.

Daisy Mae,

The abnormal sensations you are experiencing may or may not go away. If they don't go away it is possible to ignore them to the point you really don't notice.

It is perfectly normal to have abnormal sensations when you have MS
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Maybe, maybe not

As with everything else with this disease, the answer is maybe. For some people tingling is a temporary symptom. I was originally diagnosed in 1990 and my tingling (feet, legs, hands) has never gone away though the severity varies from time to time. You get used to it (not too many other choices).

Comment

The last 2 flares (Dec 08 & May 09) I had resulted in constant tingling/buzzing in both legs, both arms, & my face. Guess it could be permanent . I take 300mgs of gabapentine every 2-3 hours & it really helps! How are you able to get use to it, does everyone take something??

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                      If they don't go away it is possible to ignore them to the point you really don't notice.
                      Really? What's the secret?
                      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
                        Really? What's the secret?
                        There is no secret.

When you live with abnormal sensations long enough you learn to "tune out" and go about your daily living, at least I do. I have had vibrations/buzzing sensations from the waist down since my first exacerbation 27 years ago.

I simply find abnormal sensations not important.
                        Diagnosed 1984
                        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have had tingling from my feet all the way up to my knees. As long as I take Gabapentin as prescribed I don't have the tingling.

Comment

Thank you so much for all of your replies!! It really helps to know that I am not alone in this scary MS thing!

Comment

I wish the neurontin worked for me that way. I have found nothing to make the tingling go away. And it can get B A D.

Comment

Working...
                              X