Dangerous Reflex (funny kind of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dangerous Reflex (funny kind of)

Thought I would share a funny thing that happened yesterday, but also curious how many others have the babinski reflex??

I went to get a pedi yesterday and my regular guy was gone on vacation so I got a new guy. For years I always thought my right foot was just more ticklish than the left, but last year at dx, the neuro noted I had the Babinski reflex on the right, along with hyper-sensitiviy.

Sooo, the new guy is trying to clip the big toe nail and my foot and toes are jumping all over the place and he tells me to be still so he doesn't cut me, I can't control it at all.

The funny part is that this benign symptom can be dangerous to ones health!

The question is does anyone else have this and does it ever lessen or go away?? I suspect like everything else, it won't...
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

Lol! I'll bet that was a site.

I can't stand anything touching my feet but socks, especially my toenails. Walking through sand is like nails on a chalkboard to me, once it starts getting into the cuticles. It's the same for sunbathing face down on concrete (we did this as teenagers, when I noticed this gave me the willies big time!) when the toenails scrape the ground. We never had long beach towels to use or lounge chairs, so our feet always hung over the towels.

I did a couple of pedicures to soften my feet for doing barefoot massages awhile back. It was hard to sit through. The sensitivity is worse with dry feet, so the soaking helped a little.

I have always been uber ticklish and just figured this is the way I am. No Babinski reflex here. Just an oddball, but I get what you're saying.
    I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

LOL LOL LOL!

Finally...something that MS is actually good for! Oh....this could be a very positive symptom indeed...I am already imagining the possibilities.

I have never heard of that symptom....how in the World did he get the polish on!

LOL LOL LOL I am so sorry JBell! But that is just funny as heck!

Katie

Comment

I think my Neuro has a hobby of collecting physical tests.
        She pulled that Babinski stuff on me once by running the pointy end of a letter opener along the bottoms of my feet.
        All I could say was "GEEZ Doc, was it something I said??"

She said she wanted to see which way my toes pointed, I said all she had to do was ask.

Comment

Originally posted by jumpinjiminy View Post
          I can't stand anything touching my feet but socks, especially my toenails.
          I did a couple of pedicures to soften my feet for doing barefoot massages awhile back. It was hard to sit through. The sensitivity is worse with dry feet, so the soaking helped a little.
          LOL - A lot of people can't stand anything touching their feet, esp my DH! It actually is quite uncomfortable, but I have ingrown nails on that big toe and my regular guy know how to ease that pain!

Now that I have to wear closed shoes (waaaaah) I wouldn't even bother with the pedi, but need it to get rid of the pain of the nail.

My reg guy just holds down each toe firmly to keep them from jumping all over! LOL It is actually is quite funny to see them go crazy now that you mention it.

The babinski test as Bob stated was interesting because I remember my toes jumping on the right (my affected foot/leg) and not on the left. I thought that was a good thing as I had so much reaction (too much apparently)...

I was really hoping someone would tell me if it will go away or lessen?? Hopefully it won't get worse, or I may end up with a missing toe!!
          Ampyra 10mg 2xday
          Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

LOL. I've got one of those ingrown toenails on a pinky toe. Maybe not an ingrown nail. I've got no idea what it is, really. I split the toenail on one of the pinky toes as a teenager when I stubbed it on something. The outside of the split has grown smaller over the years down to nothing. Sometimes, though, it comes back as a separate pointy nail in the cuticle that grows straight up. When it starts catching on the socks is when I start thinking of going back. This last time, I was able to see it well enough to clip it off.

Jbelle, I've got to get out of this thread. Even thinking about it is like nails on a chalkboard. Ooga.

Comment

There was one time the doc did the foot stroke test and my foot did overreact. I think he just tickled me. LOL

Comment

My feet are a bit over sensitive, but nothing like your toe bit. I have to wear my socks wrong side out. They have a raised part on the inside bottom, I can not stand it. I like the socks so I just wear them inside-out, nobody would ever know. Oh I get my nails done and hoof inspection every 10 weeks at the podiatrist, for diabetic foot care.

One funny one I had was the first neuro I saw about the then probable MS. He was doing a test, making me do head movements. It was not fun for me, I was just about to toss my lunch all over his shirt/tie when he BACKED OFF! Gess he did not want his short/tie decorated.

It was NOT very funny at the time, but sure is afterwards.

Gomer Sir Falls-A-Lot

Comment

Reflex

I have this reflex, and it's pretty funny AFTER it happens. I did manage to groin kick my neuro during this test once and now he stands to the side when he performs this test! LOL!
                  The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.

Comment

This happened to me as well!
                    My last pedicure was pure torture, with my toes jumping around and the technician saying "so ticklish!" over and over. I was mortified, because I had absolutely no control, and the harder I tried to keep still the worse it got! Sadly, I think I am going to have to give up pedicures--which I used to love--until I can find someone who can handle this issue.
                    Carole
                    diagnosed 10/25/11

Comment

My feet are super jumpy and spasy when I get pedis. Especially when the scrub the bottom of the foot. None the less, my neuro did not mention anything about a babinski's. He did strike the bottom of my feet but it was with my socks on and the object was blunt, not pointed.

Comment

[QUOTE=Daphnesmommy86;1349106]My feet are super jumpy and spasy when I get pedis. Especially when the scrub the bottom of the foot. QUOTE]

Oh, I just got the willies reading the scrub on the bottom of the foot, the worst!!
                        Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                        Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I have the same issues when getting pedis.

One girl I used to go to slapped my foot when it jumped, even though I told her the muscles might spasm & I couldn't control it. That was the last time I went to her!

I warn the girls this might happen, not to worry they aren't hurting me unless I say "ouch". So far I haven't hurt anyone, and I haven't been hurt!
                          DX 10/2008
                          Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                          Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                          Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I have a present Babinski reflex in my left foot. My niece gave me a pedi once, and my foot was doing like yours, just bouncing around all over the place.

The reflex was found by the first neurologist I went to back in 2005, and I still have it today, as far as I can tell. For some reason, neurologists don't check that reflex very often, but when I went back in October, it was still present. (And that neurologist almost dug a hole in my foot trying to elicit it!)
                            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
                            X