Anyone heard of Rolfing? structural integrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone heard of Rolfing? structural integrating

I was reading my NMSS. news magazine (spring 2012) and I got drawn to Feldenkrais movement techniques and also Rolfing ( a deep-tissue massage aimed at realigning the body with gravity) they both sounded new to me so I researched and even looked for practitioners who offer them in my area. Has anyone heard or used any of these treatments or techniques? It is quite costly so I'd like to know if there is any validity to them. any insight will be well appreciated.

I saw "Rolfing" somewhere, but I can't remember where. I see my massage therapist Wednesday. I'll ask her about it. Though, I'm sure someone on here will know something about rolfing.

Otherwise, nope, don't know anything about it!

Comment

Originally posted by seekhelp View Post
      I was reading my NMSS. news magazine (spring 2012) and I got drawn to Feldenkrais movement techniques and also Rolfing ( a deep-tissue massage aimed at realigning the body with gravity) they both sounded new to me so I researched and even looked for practitioners who offer them in my area. Has anyone heard or used any of these treatments or techniques? It is quite costly so I'd like to know if there is any validity to them. any insight will be well appreciated.
      Just out of curiosity - how "costly" is it? I'm assuming that insurance doesn't cover this, so it would all be out-of-pocket.

rex

Comment

Greetings,

I'm a Rolfer and would first suggest you check out www.rolf.org and my website **URL removed per MSWorld Guidelines. You may put it in your Profile.** for some background info. If you still have questions, feel free to get back with me.

Allan

Comment

I haven't been Rolfed myself, but I have a good friend who, at 50, made a career change by going to the Rolf Institute of Structural Integration for training to become a Rolfer.

For more information, go to:

http://www.rolf.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolfing

Comment

Originally posted by kingrex View Post
            Just out of curiosity - how "costly" is it? I'm assuming that insurance doesn't cover this, so it would all be out-of-pocket.

rex
            rex - it was costly for me and my insurance didn't pay for it. I did benefit from it however. I wasn't drawn to it for helping my MS or MS sx, but structure-wise is was very beneficial.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
              rex - it was costly for me and my insurance didn't pay for it. I did benefit from it however. I wasn't drawn to it for helping my MS or MS sx, but structure-wise is was very beneficial.
              So I'll ask again - how costly? Can you put a number to it? Also, in what way was it structurally beneficial? I'm not sure I understand what that means. Whenever I go to one of these sites (Rolf, B.E.S.T., etc.), I always leave wondering what on earth I just read.

rex

Comment

So I'll ask again - how costly? Can you put a number to it?
                Sessions range between $75 and $165. The recommended length of treatment is ten sessions, with some clients choosing to have occasional "tune-ups" afterward. One session lasts between 60 and 90 minutes.

For the sake of comparison, my acupuncturist chargesd $90 for a 50 minute session...but unlike Rolfing, acupuncture is often covered by insurance.

Some practitioners offer a sliding scale to accommodate low-income clients, but you have to ask for it ahead of time.

Comment

So I'll ask again - how costly? Can you put a number to it? Also, in what way was it structurally beneficial? I'm not sure I understand what that means. Whenever I go to one of these sites (Rolf, B.E.S.T., etc.), I always leave wondering what on earth I just read.

rex
                  It was many years ago, but I believe it cost me around $90 a session. I was in an accident and my body got fairly beat up. Upon recommendations, I decided to give it a try. After 9-10 sessions, I gained full mobility of my body again and was pain free. (I still to this day have problems with one ankle however.)

If you like to read up on it, here's a link from Vanderbilt Univ. (with references) - http://www.vanderbilt.edu/ans/psycho...y/rolfing.html
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

? Rolfing and also ?Feldenkrais

Originally posted by seekhelp View Post
                    Thanks everybody who gave me a little insight into Rolfing. I also wanted to know about the Feldenkrais movement technique. anyone?

Comment

I've had Feldenkreis work done and I've taken Feldenkreis courses; suffice it to say, I have kept my day job. Seeing as how there are many volumes and many websites full of information about Feldenkreis work, exactly what is it you want to know from us at MSW?

And if it is price, Feldenkreis is probably about the same range as massage therapy, Rolfing or any other kind of bodywork. See the posts above.

Comment

Working...
                      X