cobra ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cobra ?????

ok,so i am now unemployed..my wife carries our insurance. she has worked night shift for 12 years in the hospital.s has been offered an awsome job.

she called to ask about the cobra through the hospital...its $2400 a month!!!!! there is no way that we can afford that, who can??? the new job insurance will not kick in for 3 months!!!! now, she fears that she cant take the job because of me..

is there anything that can be done???
    please help.. it seems my condition has messed with our lives enough..should i go without treatments for 3 months?

im so lost,and this has caused great anamosity in the household.. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my husband (who is a nurse and has worked in hospitals) changed jobs, he got a signing bonus at the new job that we used to pay the 3 months of COBRA from the old job. The new employer couldn't waive that 3 month rule but they were able to do the signing bonus.

COBRA is expensive, as it represents the actual cost of the insurance. While one is an active employee, the employer pays most of the costs.

You might try you state's high risk pool if there is one.

Read the COBRA paperwork carefully. If you are not covered by insurance for more than 62 days (I think) the new insurer may not have to cover pre-existing conditions for some period of time, I think 6 - 12 months. Because of that, you may need to take the COBRA insurance for at least one month (maybe two) to be sure you are not without coverage in your wife's new job and insurance.

The new insurance company can demand that you show that "certificate of coverage" proving you were not without coverage more than the 62 days. My husband had to do that.

Good luck with whatever y'all decide to do. It is really a tough world for those of us with MS and other pre-existing conditions, at least until there is some health reform that allows us to get/keep insurance coverage.

Comment

When I was out of work a couple of years ago, there was a federal program to subsidize COBRA payments. You might check and see if that's still in effect. I'm not sure if it is or not, but it really helped us. Instead of having to pay almost $1600 a month, we only had to pay $185 a month. It'd be worth looking into.
      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Program Ended

I am pretty sure the Cobra subsidy program ended unless something new has been voted in. I did the tax paperwork for my company to get the tax credits, it was a wonderful program for those that lost jobs late 2008 and early 2009.

Health care coverage or the lack of it is terrifying for a healthy person let alone someone who has chronic health issues. I don't know if it changes by state, but in CA there is not a previous condition clause for employer sponsored health coverage.

What about medical/medicare? We're nearing, but not quite to the retirement age.

Jackie

Comment

Call your local branch of the MS Society, MSAA, and MSF. Ask about grants in the area for MS patients. I know locally that there's at least one organization that will help with emergency expenses for patients' families.

Comment

Veteran

Bentvalve-

I read your post in the veterans forum. I know you are putting in VA paperwork, but you have 2 conditions that seem to be service connected and those 2 conditions can not go untreated. The VA will treat you for those conditions now, with or without insurance.

But you have to make the appointment and go to the VA doctor. That responsibility is solely on you. And for the record, as a vet myself, one of those conditions is more serious than the MS (in my opinion). So please go to the VA, because I know you are under a lot of stress.

Be prepared for a little red tape, be prepared to sit there awhile, but by all means go. Take your wife with you if she can. In case of an emergency use the VA Emergency Room. Just ensure you have a copy of your DD Form 214.

As far as the MS, if you are currently taking a DMD, call the drug company and ask for assistance for the next 3-months. Most will not let you forgo treatment just because your insurance lapsed. The VA might be able to help you with that too, but you will have to ask.

Wishing you the best--Katie

Comment

ok, so i have started my paper work for the va..

my wife was offered the dayshift job and they r going to work with her.
              they are going to let her work while she is working at the current hospital!
              she will the be started on her 90 days.
              this company will accept pre-existing conditions! could not believe that.
              they were willing to waive the 62 day thing.

so we have this kinda planned out, when i get my tysabri i will get 3 month scripts for my meds.
              she will be working for 30 more days at current job(just enough for me to get my 3 month supply of meds).
              i will get this months infusion and next months.

as for my march treatment i contacted them and they have programs for uninsured pt's.. how awsome.. i thought i was just gonna be without! don

Comment

That is wonderful news Don! I am so happy for you, and now you can get your treatments without all the worries of going without it for a while.

And 3 cheers for an employer who volunteers to work with you and your wife to ensure that you are covered.

Comment

I'm in a similar situation, 26 and recently diagnosed. Decided to move to a new state to explore opportunities (I'm 26 after all!) means giving up my medical and now, since I have the option of Cobra for a whopping $900 a month, they say I have no options that will cover pre-existing conditions until I have used up all the Cobra...so unfair. What kind of an "option" is $900 per month?! Frustrating...

Comment

Working...
                  X