Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here had total hip replacement surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone here had total hip replacement surgery?

I was diagnosed with RRMS in 1992, and am currently on Copaxone. I have been slant walking to the right for a few years now and the pain in my right hip and upper theigh has been getting worse over time to the point that I now need a total right hip replacement and am scheduled for surgergy the end of Feb. Would like to hear from anyone who has had this done (or knows of someone who has) and what to expect and if made your MS symptoms worse?

My sister-in-law just had a right hip replacement, and I am totally amazed at how well she is doing! She is obese, and I wondered how it would go. She had the surgery on a Monday, was out on a Wednesday, and started PT on Friday. They took away her walker this past Wednesday. She was in extreme pain, and now, nothing! After seeing her recovery and knowing the pain she was in, I wouldn't hesitate to have the surgery or recommend it if it was needed. She doesn't have MS, but I hope this reassures you.

Comment

My husband doesn't have MS, but he had a THR years ago. He was told he needed one when he was in his late 30's(due to a sports injury.). He toughed it out for almost 10more years before agreeing to one. He wonders now why he waited so long...it completely alleviated his pain, and he's been symptom free ever since.

Recovery wasn't't too tough, but he didn't have MS...so it's hard to say what your recovery will look like.

Just from your description of why you needed one, I'd think you'd need some sort of orthotics? Or brace? To prevent you from injuring the hip again.

there's a great forum called Totally Hip Support Group. It's a great place to ask questions.

Hope you have fantastic results.

Comment

I had a total knee replacement some yrs back now, the only reason it was a bit tough is that i was very obese and my other leg was amputated some time before and i cannot use a prosthesis so i had to get mobile only on the new knee. It was not as tough as either me or the surgeon had thought. I have RRMS and my fatigue was an issue but i think it had more to do with just hauling myself around with my arms and that one new knee.

My surgeon had thought i would need inpatient care for 8 weeks as i live alone but i was in hospital for less than 2 and that knee is still going well over a 8yrs down the track

its big surgery, either knee or hip but my back ground is nursing and out of all ortho surgery it surprises me how quick most people get going and i think the issue is that usually the pain has been so bad for a good while that the acute pain of surgery is easier to deal with knowing that in the long term things will be better,

so the fatigue was the only thing that was worse but that happens tomost people after major surgery even without MS. My thoughts are that with a good new hip reducing your pain, it will give you more reserves to deal with the effects of your MS. just make sure you have enough support in those first couple of weeks and i think you will be surprised- hope it goes well

Comment

Thanks everyone for your support. If I could walk in and have it done today I would!

Comment

I had hip replacement surgery 4 years ago - I do have MS - the pain I was having in that hip was gone in a matter of days - took a little PT to get me going, but was well worth it. I sure would recommend the surgery to anyone having a lot of pain - recovery time is usually not a problem.

Comment

Working...
            X