Spills and Thrills (not) BTW new Rollator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spills and Thrills (not) BTW new Rollator

I have had a wild ride the past couple weeks, Jan 12th I had my reg quarterly labs for my fam doc. That afternoon it was panic calls from him to my home & cell phone and house phone was ringing off the hook when I got back home. Order to go to ER for an emergency eval, hooked up to IV and machines etc, I did avoid being admitted (they debated it) and later allowed to return home.

A week later I fell in the drive (clearing snow off my car) and I could not get up. For me nothing seems to go by the book. MY wife called 911, then we could hear the sirens, then silence…. Oops they went right past us, not once but TWICE! They had our address and intersection info. How hard is to find a well-lit house & bright floods to boot, and one of only two at the corner? So back on the cell to 911, twice more and finally they stopped.

At ER they did X-rays… told NO broken bones, however the X-ray techs tried to get me to lay on the damages side for further X-ray, I could not begin to turn on my left side, the pain was excruciating (not so nice X-ray techs etc)! Sent home that Thursday with pain pills and flexeril (told it was just bruised muscles).

Saturday, still in nasty pain, not helped much by the meds, I debated returning to ER. Later that day my urine turned dark. That was it, I was going back to ER again, no question, as I KNEW it was a sign. My kidneys were beginning to shut down, and took a urine sample with us (my son took me). IT was no easy task getting up, to the car etc.

Another meat-wagon ride Back at ER they did X-rays again with a much more considerate crew. My Ox was low, my kidneys were in distress so I was put on Ox, IV and morphine for the pain, FIVE broken ribs, the now nicer ER doc could not understand HOW they missed the broken ribs, saying it was very obvious on the x-ray. I was admitted to hospital but placed on the 7th floor HELL (bad reputation per my oldest son), which I call Nurse Ratchett (Of "One Flew Over the Cookoo’s Nest" fame) training ward.

Silver Lining? IN a way the previous weeks kidney scare & emergency evaluation made me more alert on the watch for danger signs, so in a way I was on guard more than usual for possible kidney issue. Taking the dark urine sample was also a good thing as well, they called it “brown”. By taking the sample they could SEE it for themselves and not have to rely on my describing it.

I am back home, not getting much sleep, but doing better despite continued pain. Last Monday I asked my fam doc if he could just take his medical mallet and wake me when its all over………….Ha ha.. no luck!

The hospital as usual did a So So job with my diabetes, glad I had my Humalog pen with me for making my own corrections and able to keep my BGs in reasonable control. They nurses on HELL floor were more than happy I was able to do my own corrections. It was as it they were not all that well versed in dealing with diabetics that are not a common type-2. I hate to think how bad it could have been w/o my own knowledge and tools, not to mention presence of mind to keep on top of things in addition to their lazy-fare, erroneous meds records. Just wish I could have had better PAIN control while hospitalized, and at home.

They sent me home with a brand spanking NEW Rollator, (bue). They past two weeks are still a bit of a blur.

Gomer

Tomorrow will be a better day! You should be getting to tomorrow one of these days.
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Oh I'm so sorry for your awful journey. I can't belive they did not find your broken bones. Please take care.I also have a bright blue Rollator,I love it,but use a wheelchair when I go out. Please keep us posted.
      God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

You're back

Welcome back to the board Gomer.

Really pleased to see you here again, missed your'e posts and sense of humour.

You certainly seemed to have had a bad run, hope things get sorted soon and the pain is now under control.

All the best

Min

Comment

YOWZER...ENOUGH!!!

Ok since this was sooo bad, you are on your up now right? Right?

Broken ribs hurt.. alot !! Was this the same ER that could not see the fractures? Do they do anything about it for you? And even if they do, hopefully YOU will write a letter to the medical director of the ER and RN supervisor of that floor. I mean come on, YOU had to get control over your own diabetes? SCARY!!!!

Take those surveys hospital send seriously.. funding, raises or suspensions and how the are rated against other hospital all fit into the big scheme of things.

May you get control now over your pain and continue to heal.. more and more each day.

Gentle Hugs my dear~ Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

THANKS all

Youzer..... MORE... than enough!

Guess I was making up for not having broken a single bone in my life before, but five at once??

I hope to get a little sleep tonite, not a wink last night., with stronger pain meds Rx by my fam doc this morning & help from a home visit nurse today.

YES same ER, different Xray & ER crew sat,, much bettter than the previous thursday crew. Even the fireman & first meat-wagon crew figured broken ribs. The first ER doc & Xray crew were nasty. I was in SEVERE PAIN and could not get on that side, let alone the big Xray table. The Sat crew did the xrays with me on the gurney, still quite painful but do-able. Once they reqalized I actually DID have 5 broken ribs, I was given morphine, oh what a relief that was.

On 7th floor ward they kept trying to stop the O2 but would have to restart it due to my O2 level dropping. Breathing with broken ribs is not easy. Afterwards a nurse told me it was because I was on medicare a7 COSTING them money to keep me. The hospital was not full, so how do they loose money filling an otherwise unoccupied bed????

They had no problem providing me with a brand new ($180) rollator?

We only have one hospital now, there was two a few years ago, and 3 before that, before the current one bought the others out and control a lot of the local health care.

I got a survey call this morning, as soon as they realized it was not going to be a 100% glowing opinion they hung up on me PRONTO!

So much for surveys.

Gomer
            Still hurting but a little better, for now.

Comment

This is what happens when the hospitals are for-profit. I'm sorry the system has messed with you so badly, Gomer. If I were you, I would write / email your representatives and senators. Let them know just how badly someone with chronic diseases is treated. THEN send a copy of the letters to local news agencies. They jump all over this sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
              X