Help,Opinions On MS pain & treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help,Opinions On MS pain & treatments

Hello, I have lurked on here for some time but this is my 1st post. Kinda looking for opinions suggestions. I have had MS for approx 8yrs in the last 3 or so I have been dealing with the dreaded MS pain and Fatigue. I recently had my care transferred to a new neuro by my last one due to willing to try new treatment (glenya) Well upon transferring my care I call in refills and several scripts (ones for ms Pain) I have tried all the normal avenues and found over the years the only onesx that helped me were Norco 10/325 & Tramadol nothing stronger or weaker.

Well the new Dr with out any discussion with me changes one script to hydrocodone 5/500 40ct from the 10/325 120ct and tramadol 120ct 50mg to 50ct.. What? I for years tried everything out there these 2 meds for me helped with the pain and fatigue and overall mood, I mentioned this to the DR & it was like he either didnt beleive me or want to hear it. He wants to do what he wants and thats it. Keep in my mind I have been doing very well and able to function and do things with my kids. What would U all do? should I just move on and get a new DR? Anyone in St louis area with a good dr they could recomend?? opinons thoughts would be great. Thanks

How frustrating for you! There's some rationale for the new neuro limiting the number of each med prescribed. He doesn't know you well yet and hasn't been able to establish first-hand your potential for abusing these meds. It isn't always possible for a doctor to tell which normal-looking, reasonable-sounding patient is going to take some or all of the prescriptions and sell them on the street. Both are controlled substances and most docs don't want to invite trouble with the DEA if something goes wrong with prescriptions.

What doesn't have a clear rationale, though, is why he would cut your hydrocodone dose. Even in medicine, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Since you met with this doc and told him what's been working for you and what hasn't, and he knows your medical history, for him to disregard it without explanation doesn't bode well for your doctor-patient relationship.

If your previous neuro had to refer you to a different doc because s/he wasn't comfortable managing you on Gilenya, that's actually a good thing that your old doc recognized being in over his/her head. So it doesn't sound like you can go back to that doc if you want to go/stay on Gilenya. It also doesn't sound good that the new doc didn't seem to pay attention to not fixing what wasn't broken.

How easy is it going to be for you to move to another neurologist? (A lot of people have trouble finding one that "clicks.") If you're still on good terms with your old neuro, you might consider calling/writing that doc to report that things didn't go well with the neuro s/he referred you to, and ask your old neuro for ideas on what you should do. If that doesn't sound feasible, your local chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society should be able to give you the names of some MS-savvy neurologists in your area.

Comment

I totally get it. My neurosays hydrocodine does not help ms PAIN, so they keep increasing my neurontin. I have some hyudrocodineleft over from some oral surgery I had and from when gall bladder was removed, and when the pain gets really bad, I take them and I feel so much better.Also on tramadol. Still not sure if it is helping or not. I have felt like you manytimes lately. Like doc in every iother way so not sure what I am going to do.

Good luck.

JudySz

Comment

Sadly

I have been searching for the right combination of pain management therapy. I take Lyrica 300mg, cymbalta, tramadol, xanaflex, baclofin and klonopin for the spasms. I just feel frustrated with the ongoing experiment of taking different drugs. Sometimes I think prior to being dx I lived on advil, vitamin b12 shots and when things were really bad I would get pressure point shots to freeze the area. Sometimes I wonder if all the drugs are making it worse. Sometimes I think not knowing what was wrong was better than knowing. I realize that to "Slow" progression it was necessary and it gave me a ton of answers but when u go to the Dr. for stuff you want to be fixed, not told there isn't anything more to be done.

Comment

Working...
        X