Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg symptoms when seated

Hi,
    For several months now I've been bothered by sensory symptoms in my legs when seated. I experience some sort of activity in my legs in the form of tingling, internal vibration, and potentially mild tension (?). It's all very mild but still unpleasant. It makes me feel restless. Certain positions give relief such as sitting Indian style and with legs crossed.

I often have the same sensations initially when lying down with my legs bent. However then it's more fleeting. It never prevents me from falling asleep. I never wake up feeling it.

In addition to this (and maybe a different phenomenon altogether) I get weird sensations in my legs when standing still, esp. without leaning against anything. It can be described as scratching/icing/burning/tingling to a point where I have the perception of not being able to stand any longer, but nothing happens. There is no weakness. My feet tend to cycle between ice cold and warm while standing. By the way I am fully mobile and a runner.

Anyone else recognize this? Any chance that the symptoms will go away? I guess I need to get used to them since they've been pretty consistent and persistent for several months.

/Walnut (Female, late 30s, Dx RRMS 2010, on Ty)

Sounds like restless leg syndrome. You should have your ferritin checked, especially being you are a runnner. Low ferritin can precede anemia. I know this because I was recently tested and my ferritin was very low.

Good luck!
    I'm a mother, a wife, a nurse, and a graduate student... I guess it COULD be stress!

Comment

I agree with getting your ferritin checked as any deficiencies will make your MS worse. But I have those same symptoms from my MS so in your case it could just be a new symptom. You should talk to your neurologist about new symptoms.

My symptoms improved a lot when I started juicing vegetables/fruits and cut out processed food. Good luck!
      I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Interesting with the ferritin... I haven't had that checked, but I know my Hb is fine.
        I read up on restless legs and I guess that could be a possibility with regards to my symptoms. I will ask my neuro about all this next time. Meanwhile I hope the symptoms will fade, MS or not.

Thanks again!

Comment

walnut,

don't lose hope just yet! even if it is a MS symptom and your ferritin level is fine it may not be permanent. i had tingling in my legs for 6 months and i wasn't able to walk for more than 10 minutes because of it. it was a form of lhermittes and the tingling would become unbearable if i forgot (easy to do with a memory impairment!) and bent my neck forward.

the doc tried steroids and that didn't seem to help. she also told me it could take up to a year for the damage from a lesion to heal. just as i had lost all hope of ever being able to walk without feeling like my legs were being electrocuted it disappeared on its own. sometimes i still get some slight tingling but it doesn't last very long and is very mild.

i hope things get better for you soon.
          dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

I, too, have symptoms in my feet and legs while seated. My feet tingle and burn almost every day, but only while I am sitting down, driving, etc. I don't notice any of these sxs while standing. It even begins to go up my right leg too sometimes. This has been an ongoing symptom for me for about a year, I go back to my neuro on 2/3 and I'm going to ask him if I can go back on Lyrica as it seemed to help with this before. I hope you can get some answers and some relief soon!

Comment

Sorry you are going through this.. how bothersome.

But do not settle as accepting this is your new norm hon.

If it were me, I would consult my specialized nutritionist who can test for heavy metals, allergens, low magnesium. You'd be surprised at the neuro type symptoms when your levels are either toxic or low.

Hope you find answers and soon, so that you feel better.

Warmly, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Years before RLS was used in tv commercials to market drug treatments, I experienced it constantly to the point that it interruped sleep and was a constant distraction during the day.

I also noticed my toddler had a rls type movements when she was sick. Her little feet would be in constant motion, right foot rotating around the left in her sleep.

I don't think it's an uncommon sx associated with neuro disorders. It used to be associated with the signs of aging.

I'm hoping that in my child's case it was caused by high fevers and not indicative of anything more. I avoid thinking about the alternative.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts and sharing your experiences.

Since my symptoms are just mild sensory issues I will try harder to ignore them and keep hoping that they will fade regardless of cause. I'm still very new to the disease but I know I have to appreciate that I don't have any functional decline. I just ran 6 miles this morning...

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbiatc View Post
                    I, too, have symptoms in my feet and legs while seated. My feet tingle and burn almost every day, but only while I am sitting down, driving, etc. I don't notice any of these sxs while standing. It even begins to go up my right leg too sometimes. This has been an ongoing symptom for me for about a year, I go back to my neuro on 2/3 and I'm going to ask him if I can go back on Lyrica as it seemed to help with this before. I hope you can get some answers and some relief soon!
                    Have you been to any kind of back doctor (I recommend a physiatrist, if you can find one)? I had very similar sx (except only when standing) due to a herniated disc and cyst in my spinal column...
                    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I've had similar symptoms but mine turned out to be a strain of my IT band (iliotibial band syndrome). I'm in physical therapy which took a while, but has been helping. I find that my leg hurts more when I have been standing for any length of time or walking (particularly the hard concrete floors at work). It also bothers me when I sit for any length of time...when I tuck my legs under my chair (which I have a habit of doing). If I stretch my legs out instead, I don't have as many problems.

By sitting indian style, you may feel better because you are stretching out the IT band. Ask your doctor to take a look at whether that may be a cause of your symptoms. It may be easier to address than you expected.

Comment

Working...
                      X