Can MS sx look like RA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can MS sx look like RA?

Just curious on this one. I know someone who is searching for answers (I don't have specifics) and she thinks the docs are leaning toward RA...she just had an MRI done (again no specifics).

I really hope that she would not have this disease...

Thanks.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

Yes! I had the experience of observing someone else's diagnose. He thought he had MS, his doc was testing him for MS and also everything else it could be that is standard in an MS diagnosis, everything else had to be excluded.

He came to an MS support group looking for support to get through his diagnosis. His chief complaint was pain. He was a younger man, worked as a store clerk at a discount store like walmart or kmart. can't remember which it was?

his chief complaint was standing and his pain worsened throughout his workday. to the point he had a lot sick days and didn't want to go. his father thought he just didn't want to work. the pain was driving him crazy. he thought he had MS and was being tested for that despite the scathing he was getting from his father. he was just looking for some support until he found out what was wrong.

he was nice, when he did find out it was RA, he came back once or twice to tell everyone what it had turned out to be, not the MS he had thought, but RA and he was starting treatment for that.

after that he didn't come back to the MS support board--i hope he found support in an RA support group. His dad was pretty hard on him(i think he was in his early 20's)

RA(Rhematoid Arthritis) is a relapse remitting, inflammatory, autoimmune disease like MS is. Because it's inflammatory it can cause lesion too.

RA can look like MS.

i think there are blood tests that can point to RA..(not fully identify, but strongly indicate RA?) but its a difficult disease to diagnose, like MS.
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I amgoing to rhemetologist next month. My knees are hurting alot, according to neuro, not a typical MSsx, so hey think I may also have RA. Nurse said many MS patinets also have RA.

JudySz

Comment

I have both RA and MS. I was diagnosed with a form of RA called ankylosing spondylitis . I had the RA before the MS. But according to what I have read its rare that I have both, go figure.
        Ankylosing Spondylitis DX- Sept 2008, MS DX- November 2011,RRMS- 1-11-12, Copaxone -3-2-12

Comment

When you have one autoimmune disease (like MS presumedly is), you have a higher risk of having any other autoimmune disease. I have met 2 or 3 people with MS and lupus, and some one with myesthenia gravis and lupus. There are blood tests that increase the liklihood of having RA, but they are not able to completely rule it in or out. I would rather have RA, which is much more treatable, with many patients having no evidence of disease when they get on the right combination of medicines.

Abby

Comment

Working...
          X