Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexie
    replied
    How do these leisions in our brain compare with the lesions for dementia?

Leave a comment:

• acaverly
    replied
    Yep second was right hand, first was left hand was right arm. Frist mri for me.

Leave a comment:

• MarkLavelle
    replied
    Originally posted by acaverly View Post
    When they did my mri and put contrast in they had trouble finding a vein and finally got one on the third try. I never felt the contrast or a warm feeling. I asked the tech if they put it in and she said yes but had to put it in manually with a small needle. i thought that was strange.
    Three tries is not strange at all, for me (small, deep veins). I've had well over 20 MRIs in the last 15 years and almost never get out with only one hole in my arm. The feel/taste strength of the contrast is pretty variable for me.

I always encourage them to try a pediatric needle in the back of my hand because that's usually where they try 2nd or 3rd!

Leave a comment:

• acaverly
    replied
    I was told my mri was normal. Does that mean I did not have any lesions? Most will say they are negative or positive.
    When they did my mri and put contrast in they had trouble finding a vein and finally got one on the third try. I never felt the contrast or a warm feeling. I asked the tech if they put it in and she said yes but had to put it in manually with a small needle. i thought that was strange.

Leave a comment:

• freeinhou
    replied
    "no significant enhancement" would imply not active to me. I can tell which ones are active and which ones aren't on my MRI's. I've been looking at them for a while now.

Last MRI in 2003 - over 30 lesions, all in brain. First MRI in 1988 - 3 lesions.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• kingrex
    replied
    The T1, T2 and FLAIR images are done first, and references to "hyperintensity" describe bright things seen on the T2 and FLAIR images. Then the gadolinium is injected and we do only T1 images after that injection. Bright areas on the post-injection T1 images are called "enhancing" lesions.

A "lesion" is anything abnormal; there are many types of brain and spinal cord lesions, and MS lesions, or "plaques" are simply one type of lesion. That's why appearance, location and contrast enhancement characteristics are important when trying to figure out what sort of lesion is present on any given scan.

rex

Leave a comment:

• Westgrl
    replied
    Thank you Mark & agate. Mine just refers to it as a hyperintense focus with no significant abnormal enhancement with the contrast.

Leave a comment:

• agate
    replied
    Wstgrl, I'm no expert on MRIs but I'm pretty sure that the report would talk about "enhancing lesions" if they're active.

Leave a comment:

• MarkLavelle
    replied
    Originally posted by Westgrl View Post
    Does anyone know what terminology in the MRI report indicates this?
    If the same area was scanned with and without "contrast" (gadolimium, injected at the start), the report will mention whether some areas are brighter on the contrast version. Those are the active areas.

Leave a comment:

• Westgrl
    replied
    I have a question. I have a lesion in my spinal cord as well as some in my brain. Someone mentioned here & I've heard it mentioned before that the lesion can be active or not. Does anyone know what terminology in the MRI report indicates this? My Dr didn't mention if the lesions were active or new vs. older. I haven't been diagnosed & trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• l0velee
    replied
    Nona,

Thanks for the explanation I went to my neuro but she was not in so I had to see the covering Dr. she just baffled me!! she told me a list of medications and told me to go home and pick one and call her on monday (the monday that just passed). Basically I have not chosen a medication yet cause i have no clue which one! The pill & the monthly IV are out of the question though. I am waiting for my regular neuro to call me and talk with me, I really need her help.... Ugh what a process!

xo
    Lee

Leave a comment:

• owlnona
    replied
    Hi! Welcome, we are here to help eachother. You can ask ?'s, answer ?'s or just vent!!
    In answer to your ? lesions are what happens when the "nasty MonSter" strips the mylen from the nerves in your brain or spine. Mylen is the covering on the nerves kind of like the rubber coating in wires,when the rubber is stripped away the wires are exposed & you get a shock or worse.
    Has your Dr. put you on any Rx? There are several good MS websites that offer free booklets,as well as the drug co. sites.
    Keep us posted God Bless Nona Judy

Leave a comment:

• l0velee
    replied
    Thank you all! I really have a better understanding now. I was scared when i heard the word LESION. It sounded like a gaping hole or something. I wish you all the best of luck and again, thank you so much!

xoxo, lee

Leave a comment:

• penkalet
    replied
    I have 5 lesions on the spine and about 70 in the brain,
    I was DX RRms August 2009 and I am almost 65 year old. I am on Copaxone and in pretty good shape.

Every one is so different!
    We have to take what come to us.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• ladibabe
    replied
    Lesions

I have one on my spinal cord and confluent flair in my brain. confluent means many clustered together. I never got a count.

By the way I am undx'd.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X