Shaking eyes.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lee
    I am so glad you posed this question. I have shaky eyes but attributed it to being tired since it happens at night while reading or trying to write something. I know now to let my ophthalmologist know what's going on. I don't know if my balance is off when this happens because I'm always sitting. But just to let you know you're not alone.
    Take good care!
    "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
    Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

Smash & Kyle

Well I definitely have a much better understanding now and Im going to take your advice and find a new neuro-optha. He really made me angry! Kyle you're right we do live in a great area for Dr's. Im gonna ask my regular neuro who she would recommend.

Thank you!
      xoxoxoxoxo
      Lee
      DX:1/6/12 "Bad becomes better when worse happens."

Comment

Apple

Im glad you found this thread. It happens to be in the evening also especially when Im reading or writing also. When you let your opth know please let me know what they say. I will do the same!

Comment

Shaking eyes

I have been having shaking eyes since my teens, I didn't know it was a symptom of MS. I am 54 and I was just dx in Sept 2011 and am taking Rebif which I haven't had any problems yet.
          I do feel the fatigue every morning but still work 40 hrs a week. The shaking eyes are annoying especially when you are trying to read something and it will occur.

I did mentioned this to my neurologist and he said it propably isn't anything that it happens to most people, I never heard of anyone else complaining of it. I think it is a symptom and I never knew it when I was younger. So you are not alone with this occurance. I hope you feel better.
          Maggienor

Comment

Maggie, Thank you! I hope you also feel better. I heard through the grapevine that it usually goes away. Im not too sure about that now hearing you have had it since your teen years. Well hopefully it gets better for the both of us. Is rebif your first DMD?

Comment

Originally posted by Maggienor View Post
              I did mentioned this to my neurologist and he said it propably isn't anything that it happens to most people
              Whoa! Hold the phone! While the exact prevalence of nystagmus isn't known, various estimates of nystagmus from all causes (congenital and acquired) in the general population all seem to be less than 0.5% -- that's less than one half of one percent. One study done of exclusively MS patients found the prevalence of nystagmus in that group to be less than 2%. That's a far cry from "most people." What could that neuro possibly have been thinking!?

Comment

Hi Lee,
                I had my first episode (99%dx) in 2004 of nystagmus. Won't go into long details I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis and the neuro then thought possibility from some meds so I was taken off all treatment for my RA for over a year but I continued to have the nystagmus 24/7. My neuro-opth gave me glasses and explained it could be from a stroke or an MS event we would have to wait and see. Well took many symptoms to count now including optic neuritis. I was a complicated case (still am) but nystagmus is always a sign of something pathological going on in the brain and should always require more testing.

I am a graphic artist and can tell you on days when I am fatigued I cannot look at a screen. When it rains I don't drive at night and reading in general is much slower than it ever was. Yeas it does effect my balance and I have to triple check everything I do even using my computer screen now at 400%.

Comment

Just curious if nystagmus (shaky eyes) should be listed as a separate sx than twitching facial muscles? I have both but pressumed them to be connected or the eyes shaking becuase of the facial twitches. They can apprear seperately just thought it to be the same problem. On my sx sheet I have it listed as "facial muscle/eye twitches" I don't know if I should separate them after reading this post or not.
                  COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
                    Whoa! Hold the phone! While the exact prevalence of nystagmus isn't known, various estimates of nystagmus from all causes (congenital and acquired) in the general population all seem to be less than 0.5% -- that's less than one half of one percent. One study done of exclusively MS patients found the prevalence of nystagmus in that group to be less than 2%. That's a far cry from "most people." What could that neuro possibly have been thinking!?
                    Redwings
                    I think you misread the statement. You quoted Maggienor as saying that her/his neuro said--"It probably ISN'T anything that it happens to most people". So the neuro is saying that most people do not experience it.

I would not be so particular about this except many people here really listen to what you say--including me.
                    MS is not a crisis in my life. It is just a chapter within my life.

Comment

Hi artteacher:
                      Thank you for listening. I try to help. If you can bear to do a bit more listening, I'll tell you why I said what I said. I interpreted the sentence as it's written.

Sorry, Maggienor. This might be a little rough on you. Nobody expects perfect typing or grammar or spelling here. (I don't proofread all the time.) My explanation isn't directed at you, nor is it intended to imply anything about you personally or about how a person "should" post. But sometimes one itty bitty thing causes confusion. It did here, and it needs to be cleared up.

I did mentioned this to my neurologist and he said it propably isn't anything that it happens to most people, I never heard of anyone else complaining of it.
                      I didn't miss the "isn't," but I also didn't miss the second "it." If the operative word is "isn't," the second "it" doesn't make sense in the sentence. If the second "it" is supposed to be there, then "anything" is the antecedent and "that it happens to most people" makes sense. If the second "it" is intentional, there's a comma missing before the clause "that it happens to most people."

The second thing that suggests that there's a comma missing before the clause is that a(nother) comma was used incorrectly in place of a period or semicolon in the same sentence. The third thing that suggests that a comma is missing is that there are other typos in the sentence. The fourth thing that suggests that there's a comma missing is that nystagmus "probably isn't something that happens to most people" isn't a logical thing for a neurologist to say. "Probably isn't anything"-- referring to the likelihood of nystagmus being problematic in this patient -- does make grammatical and logical sense. (The truthfulness of the statement is irrelevant here.) Last, partly because of the punctuation, it isn't clear who the "I" is in "I never heard of anyone else complaining of it." Depending on whether that's being said by the doctor or the poster, it can have several interpretations, a couple of them contradictory.

If the second "it" is intentional, then I interpreted the sentence correctly but the sentence is mispunctuated. If that's the case, the sentence(s) would properly appear as:

"I did mention this to my neurologist and he said it probably isn't anything, that it happens to most people. I never heard of anyone else complaining of it."

Hence my response that "most" people don't have nystagmus.

If the second "it" is a typo (i.e., unintentional), then the sentence would be, "I did mention this to my neurologist and he said it probably isn't anything that happens to most people." Again, the sentence makes sense grammatically but, logically, it ("probably" used in that context) isn't something a neurologist would say.

Yup, the entire interpretation hangs on one little "it." Since it (the "it") appears in the sentence, I interpreted the sentence as written, which is also the more logical interpretation.

Maggienor, what did your neuro mean? That nystagmus isn't anything (something) that most people have? Or that yours isn't anything (of significance) and that a lot of people have it? And who said, "I never heard of anyone else complaining of it"?

Comment

Working...
                      X