Blood Patch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood Patch??

Greetings - I'm fairly new and living in limbo land - I had a LP on Tuesday and am experiencing a post LP headache. I had a similar experience in 2003 and don't remember going for a blood patch, just rode it out and eventually got better.

I called the neuro's office to let him know about the headache etc and they just called me back and said to go to the ER for a blood patch. My inclination is to NOT go, besides the expense of the ER, I am rather done with needles and my spine.

Anyone have good experience with a blood patch?? did you go to the ER for it?? Did you just ride it out?

I had one...I went to the ER at the direction of my Neuro and and I'm so happy I went. I had and LP and laid flat for about an hour and then went back to work. Within a short period of time I had an excruciating headache every time I got up. I tried to wait it out but I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer than I did. My headache was almost instantly gone once blood patch was done.

Good luck with your decision.

Take Care,
    Silverlinings

Comment

My Wife had to have one done, but they pulled her into the office to do it there, and she was very happy with the results and said it was practically painless.

My Neurologist was going to give me one, in their office, I rode it out and didn't do it though.

I'm surprised they are telling you to go to the e.r., unless maybe it's because they are going to be closed and want you to get relief?
      Best of luck to you with whatever you decide.
      RRMS 3-4-11/Copaxone 4-5-11
      Making Patrick Star look like a Mensa member since 9-14-11

Comment

AJ,

That's a very good point...I tried to wait it out until it was very late in the day and by then the office was closing. Neuro called in orders at the hospital and they got me in pretty late into the evening to give me relief. So glad I had it done though.

Comment

I didn't do the blood patch they do them in the ER here too. Docs office said the headache cal last up to 5 days. What my insurances nurse line told me: drink LOTS of caffiene and lay prone....only getting up to go to the bathroom. One day of the finally got rid of mine. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to wait it out, and am hoping today is better than yesterday!

Comment

I had a headache for 3 days after the spinal tap and went to have the blood patch done. It did nothing for me. I was in pain when I left. They said that there is no guarantee that it works. It took another 2 days for the headache to stop. I will never get another spinal tap - did everything they said to do afterwards and it did nothing to stop the pain. Plus the headache was so bad that I could barely eat and when you're diabetic with hypoglycemia, that isn't good.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurkat22 View Post
                I had a headache for 3 days after the spinal tap and went to have the blood patch done. It did nothing for me. I was in pain when I left. They said that there is no guarantee that it works. It took another 2 days for the headache to stop. I will never get another spinal tap - did everything they said to do afterwards and it did nothing to stop the pain. Plus the headache was so bad that I could barely eat and when you're diabetic with hypoglycemia, that isn't good.
                I'm sorry the blood patch didn't work for you.

In all of my 7 years on MS boards, you're the first person I've encountered who didn't get relief.

Comment

i had a spinal anesthetic some yrs back when i had my leg amputated, i had a really bad spinal headache afterwards that was not easing days afterwards so i went for the blood patch and as others have described it was instant relief. unfortunately as i was using crutches to hop around, when i tried to go to the bathroom the headache came back with avengence- i was told the exertion of using the crutches and the pain when i lowered my stump for the 1st time raised the pressures a little and popped the patch. they repeated it and kept my lying flat for 24 hours and this time it was instant relief and it lasted too,

it seems they either work pretty much straight away or not at all and even though it worked for me, i would still try to ride it out for a day or so before having the patch simply because it is an invasive procedure and therefore there may be problems even though the risk is small- most spinal headaches do not last very long so if its tolerable rather than agony, i'd wait it out

Comment

Working...
                  X