EMG test and Atrophy questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMG test and Atrophy questions

Hello I just have a couple questions of concern to ask.

I had another EMG test done yesterday. The shocking and the needle pokes. I am still very atrophied it's been a year now still have complete atrophy of my hands and calfs Dr is perplexed.

1st ?... When you have an EMG done are you sore and worn out after? I was so sore last night and just whipped out from it. I have had several done and it's the same after each one. I just wondering if any of you feel this way after one too?

2nd ? ... Atrophy is it normal with MS? My new Dr said he hasn't seen such in his other MS pts. However my other Drs always made it seem it was a part of the MS.

The EMG came back pretty normal the shocking one was a bit off but the needle part I had normal sound in my muscles.
    Skinny/Jess

In Limbo for 7 years. MS Dx July 2011. I am a Copaxone Cutie

I had an EMG done on my arm and hand. Not fun. I, too, was sore. But I don't remember being worn out. Maybe you're getting more done than I did?

And I know nothing about MS and atrophy. I suppose it could happen if something doesn't move for so long, but I'm not the one to answer that question, though I would like to know,too.

Comment

I had all 4 limbs done yesterday. It was alot whew!
      Skinny/Jess

Comment

I had my right arm, leg & lower back done. Definitely not fun but I felt ok afterwards for the most part. The feeling wiped out afterward could maybe be from stress. If you are too stressed out prior to & during the test, you just feel exhausted afterwards.
        Diagnosed: May 2012
        Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
        Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Well I do hate needles... And being shocked hurts so I am sure I was stressed. Legs feel better today but last night they were hurting pretty bad.

Anyone ever have atrophy? I can't be the only one?
          Skinny/Jess

Comment

Have you seen a physical therapist for your atrophy? I suspect there are exercises you can do to address it.

Comment

If you are unable to move a limb on your own then, logic says, the muscle will atrophy over time...I am not aware of anything a PT can do or recommend to stop the effect of not being able to move that limb on your own.

Someone correct me if I am wrong...isn't my example part of the definition of "atrophy"?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironsides View Post
                If you are unable to move a limb on your own then, logic says, the muscle will atrophy over time...I am not aware of anything a PT can do or recommend to stop the effect of not being able to move that limb on your own.

Someone correct me if I am wrong...isn't my example part of the definition of "atrophy"?
                Atrophy is a process, as I understand it.

A friend had a pinched-off nerve that caused his leg muscles to atrophy, but once the nerve was fixed (back surgery) his leg returned to normal over the next 2 years.

It's also possible that a muscle can atrophy "beyond the point of no return," I suppose...

-- Mark
                1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I can move my hands and legs and arms however the muscle is atrophied. Just is very saggy limp and strength is weakened. I was Dx with quadraparthis. I was just wondering if this is from having MS.

I received pt and ot for 8 weeks they up after 6 weeks because my muscles were not engaging. I am thinking this is due to something blocking the nerve.

That's why I was wondering if anyone else with MS suffers from atrophy or has ever had it.
                  Skinny/Jess

Comment

Working...
                  X