Anxiety seems to be my main symptom of late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety seems to be my main symptom of late

I never had anxiety issues until I was diagnosed with MS. I had a panic attack the very day I received my diagnosis. I have had only one full blown, four alarm panic attack since then but I have had several near misses. I can't leave the house without my bottle of Ativan. It is, unfortunately, a constant companion.

I have been on Gilenya since February. Most of my more severe physical symptoms have disappeared but, what has persisted and seems to have worsened, is my overall anxiety level. I go through periods where it is a constant companion. I talked to one of the psychology fellows at the MS clinic last time I was there but she just wanted to focus on coping techniques for the times when a panic attack is forthcoming. Those breathing exercises do work for those times but, when I am just having that overall anxious feeling that goes on for a week or two at a time, it doesn't really help.

I don't want to ad more doctor bills for a therapist or whatever but, this feeling can really mess with my quality of life when it's ramped up. My PCP tried me on a mild antidepressant once but it just made things worse...what to do.

I take Ativan myself, but I swear guided meditation works. I'm not New Age at all, but the whole deep breathing thing really does help.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
      I take Ativan myself, but I swear guided meditation works. I'm not New Age at all, but the whole deep breathing thing really does help.
      Meditation, properly taught and practiced, can help greatly with anxiety. Regular daily meditation, as opposed to deep breathing in a crisis, may be needed for ongoing anxiety, though.

It's also possible to get what's called "Brief Therapy" specifically for anxiety attacks. It only takes a few sessions, and is very effective.

Comment

Love my ativan. I was given it for the "ms hug" and the MD thought it would be helpful. It truly is, but I have noticed since being on it, I have dramatically less anxiety attacks.

Try to not overwhelm, or over tire yourself. I find mine come on faster when I am over tired.

Watch out for overstimualtion areas like the grocery store with its buzzing lights, tons of perfumes, and brightly colored packages, not to mention we tend to be in a hurry in there. its a huge trigger for me. I try to meditate in the car before and after stepping into that place.

Take time out to take care of just you. Not the hubby/kids/animals/neighbors/plants or whatever. Feed yourself and nourish yourself. Whether that is thru some meditation, or an exercise program, or just time to watch a movie without everyone pecking on you for stuff.

If your anxiety is still on the rampage, speak to your MD and ask about something to help. Xanax, or Ativan, or the like. Depression is on the opposite side of the scale for Anxiety and alot of antidepressants dont work for it, just like xanax wont work well for depression. its a neuro chemical that gets fired off from your injured brain.

Feel better.
        RRMS 3/26/07
        Beta 5/17/07
        Copaxone 8/07/07

Comment

Originally posted by Dejibo View Post

If your anxiety is still on the rampage, speak to your MD and ask about something to help. Xanax, or Ativan, or the like. Depression is on the opposite side of the scale for Anxiety and alot of antidepressants dont work for it, just like xanax wont work well for depression. its a neuro chemical that gets fired off from your injured brain.

Feel better.
          Interesting & very true.
          I developed both (anxiety & depression) & find a low dose of celexa is working great for me. I am almost back to my old self--not perfect but the anxiety part was really getting to me. Sorry you're dealing with this. I hope you find something to help!

Comment

Seems to hit me mostly at night. Sometimes I wake up with it in the middles of the night with it and don't know why. I got some Xanx from my pcp and it helps me get back to sleep. I don't take it every night just when I need it.

Comment

I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I had panic disorder long before being diagnosed. My doc had me learn bio feedback. She said I was having anticipatory panic attacks. Once I had the first one I anticipated having more and the worry sent me into more! It was to the point to where I could not leave my bedroom for a couple of months. I would freak in my own living room. All that extra adrenaline sucks!

Anyway, She had me wear a thermometer on my finger and listen to breathing tapes. I also learned diaphragm breathing by laying on the floor with a book on my stomach. I also had to give up caffeine. Do you have a finger thermometer?

I later started to have them again but this time only in cars or crowds. After being diagnosed with MS my ENT felt that I was now having "sensory overload". I now know when I am in a car and there are a lot of shadows whizzing by quickly or in a crowd with people walking around I am not going to feel right. Just a lot of eye movement is bad for me. Are you having them triggered by certain situations?

I know this may sound crazy but IF the panic initially occurred during movement, like in a car ask your doc about taking a low dose Dramamine. Even if you are not going anywhere for the day.

Try to stick with the breathing technique. Good luck with it I know it can freeze you in your tracks.

Comment

It's not panic attacks in my case, thank the Lord.

More generalized anxiety, which they'd call a disorder in a person with no good reason to feel anxious.

But even though I think it is perfectly normal for anyone with MS to feel worried, anxious, depressed and generally miserable, you just can't live like that all the time.

So the drug assisted better mood is just that - drug assisted. I worry (yes, yes) that the real me is buried in there somewhere.

Ah well.

Comment

Nice to know someone is in the same boat. My anxiety is out of control. I have times when I can't do anything but focus on worry. It is affecting my family and I dont know what to do about it.
                  My mind just tricks me into thinking I have severe medical problems that I likely don't have. I have tried several antidepressants, but cannot tolerate the side effects. I'm anxious (ironic, right?) about trying new meds after having a couple of bad experiences.
                  I just want to be happy and panic free. Somehow I have to believe that the MS has affected my brain causing this relatively new anxiety. There is no other explanation.
                  Is that even possible? Exercise is difficult right now as I am still recovering from a 6 month long flare... Anxiety, by a long shot, is. My WORST symptom right now.

**Post broken into paragraphs by Moderator for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print.**

Comment

to joyful

I have lived with the anxiety you have described since I was 9 years old. Yup...9 years old. At that time it would come and go, but by the time I hit my early 20's I had a severe problem with it.

My parents did not want me to medicate. They believed I needed to learn how to cope with it. What I was expereincing was a chemical malfunction and even with all the meditation, breathing, I needed help.

When I got old enough to make my own decisions my dr. suggested that my interal "thermometer", the internal regulator of my anxiety, was out of control. At this time I was really low and couldn't eat, go anywhere, I dropped out of school, I couldn't sleep...it was AWFUL.

Since going on an antidepressent, it took a while, but I was able to live my life. I have a chemical imbalance that is not in my control (like diabetes) and I have to regulate it everyday, or I experience dibilitating anxiety.
                    The ativan/valium/klonopin ect only work for a small amount to time- I needed something that fixed the problem which was my serotonin levels.

I don't have to take anything except when I go to get my MRI's now. All I am saying is to consider the side effects you have with the AD's vs. the life you live now. Only you can decide what you are willing to put up with for a better quality of life.

I am not a dr. and I am just giving you my opinion- of course I can't know all the details about your situation. Just wanted to let you know that I have had debilitating anxiety before I was dx with MS and how I handle it. There is a possibility that because of what you have been going through something has triggered something in your brain that makes your anxiety levels through the roof. Meditation and breathing do help and can lead to a healthier life, but they don't always fix the source of the problem.

Good luck to you and I hope you are able to get through this! Whatever you decide to do- I hope you find relief.
                    ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
                    Dx the first time: 10/25/11
                    Avonex 1/12-10/12
                    Revaluation of Dx 10/12
                    Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

I think we all seem to have anxiety. Maybe it's part of the disease.

You've made an important step to admit that you have anxiety. Many people call themselves "Type A" proudly, but since I think it means "Type Anxiety" or "Type Afraid", I think we should not be proud.

I've made tremendous progress with my anxiety in the past 2 years and have read much about it. I'll explain my understanding of what scientists think happens and indeed what has worked for me.

Anything you do over and over again gets cemented into our brains, like riding a bicycle. We all had the experience of this. It's part of brain plasticity. Doing it over and over again built a kind of neural foundation or highway

What we now think, is that the same thing happens with thought patterns. You have well-worn paths, maybe a super highway in your brain that can take any thought and lead it to the same old patters of worry. You can think of these highways all leading to "And then something terrible will happen" and "It always does".

The thing is, is that we can begin to carve new pathways in our brain by first observing those thought patterns (mostly, we don't even control them, it's as if they "think" us, rather than our thinking them). So first you observe and then you can begin to say "hold on, don't go there" and things like that. Eventually, you can even build new highways to "I suppose it will work out, it usually does". You literally remap your brain so that it no longer favors anxiety.

Get this book online or from your library. You may find your own internal conversations laid out and you'll see that that kind of thinking is not unusual and the solution can be learned.

http://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Way-th...5184364&sr=1-1

But in the meantime, tranquilizers work in 2 ways. 1) If you're having a terrible moment and 2) Knowing you have them just in case can help ward off that feeling.

Comment

I have some anxiety issues as well. My nuero put me on 15 mg of buspar everyday. It seems to be helping, although, I'm thinking I may need to up the dosage. Sometimes I find myself worrying about worrying, it sucks.

Comment

I also thought I read somewhere on the board that one of the members upped their Vitamin D and that helped?

Comment

i want to beat this

just read all of these posts. I've been diagnosed for 4 1/2 years and those first 4 years and 5 months, I handled MS like a champ. I worked full time, went to doctoral school full time, even had part time practicums on the side as part of my doctoral work. I think I was trying to be the MS poster child to convince myself that the disease couldn't really get to me, or change me in any sort of dramatic way.

Then, last month, out of nowhere, I started having severe panic attacks. They are the worst. It disrupted sleeping, eating, thinking, feeling, etc. I was scared out of my mind. I see a therapist and have talked to my neurologist, PCP, and anyone who will listen. I am trying a psychiatrist next week for help, too.

I thank these posts for letting me know I'm not the only one who is going through this hard time. It sure does suck, though, huh?

Comment

I read Seeuinct's reply to the OP with great interest, it mirrored my life-experience of anxiety so much, it was uncanny.

This in the original message really jumped out at me:
                              My PCP tried me on a mild antidepressant once but it just made things worse...what to do.
                              Please consider going back to your PCP to ask for help again? I have tried 3 AD's since Diagnosis 13 year ago. In every case you DO feel worse, much worse, for about 2-4 weeks before they start working. Then they kick in and you get your life back, minus the nagging anxiety that takes away so much joy, spontaneity, creativity, sleep, friendship, opportunity and happiness. Please consider discussing an AD again with your PCP Some AD's can sedate, some can lessen anxiety. They all have different effects so it can help to talk about all the issues going on for you so that your PCP can match an AD to you specifically.

For me, Cymbalta has been a life-changer. I nearly gave it up in the first month. I had severe insomia, nausea, palpitations, panic, and disorientation. One month in it started to work and in the last 4 months since I started it I have done things I have been procrastinating about for years. My creativity, friendliness, ability to cope and sleep properly has come back again. It hasn't changed the original me, just brought me back from the dark place I'd ended up - I was burnt out from anxiety. The 'side-effects' of Cymbalta have improved my bladder function, helped my OCD, and are working for nerve-pain too. For me, truly, this has been a major life and marriage-saver.

MS is hard enough to live with without anxiety thrown in.
                              Wishing you all the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X