Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you too sick to realize you're "sick"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you too sick to realize you're "sick"?

M.S. leaves me so beat-down, it's like having the blahs that a cold or flu gives you, only on a daily basis! This past week, I felt even worse, and simply attributed it was my new M.S. Normal. Than an odd thing happened. My daughter came down with a cold, and it dawned on me that I was the one who gave it to her, and that what I thought was my M.S./allergy stuff was really a cold.

I am feeling a lot better so whatever it was is leaving my body. My mother had M.S. and I can remember on at least 2 when she went to her doctor appointment and was sporting pneumonia without even realizing it (she was extremely "phlegmy" at all times). I remember thinking how bad her disease must be if she can't even tell if she's "sick" in the traditional sense. Now it's happening to me. I don't know if I am being slammed by M.S. or a flu virus until after it's gone. Even then I don't know for sure. When I was "well", there was never any doubt when I had a cold. I took a day or two off of work and starting coming around again. M.S. is not so generous.
    Tawanda

Wow, Tawanda, I hear you on that one.

I've been admitted to the hospital with various things (pneumonia, infection, etc), and in those cases, I put off going to the ER because I just chalked the symptoms up to MS.

Face it, the way we feel on some days (well a lot of days) if we were a "normal, healthy" person, we'd be in the ER figuring we'd had a stroke or having a heart attack (when the hug hits.)

But I get so used to feeling blah, I can't even recognize what's MS and what's true sickness. That's why it never hurts to go ahead and make the visit to the doc, when in doubt.

Comment

I'm fairly sure I might meet my fate by ignoring a heart attack or stroke and thinking it is just more MS stuff.

Then again it is doubtful I'll be so lucky as to go so quickly.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

"General Malaise"

I don't know about anyone else, but I guess the symptom I am trying to express is "general malaise". What I wouldn't give to feel normal the way I used to remember the term! I hate my "new normal"!
        Tawanda

Comment

I know this is not a funny topic, and difficult to deal with daily. But I had to chuckle a little remembering the time my husband was walking around with pneumonia and didn't know it. I said to him, "How can you have pneumonia and not know it?" He got the last laugh when I discovered I'd been running fevers up to 102F off and on for several years, and didn't know it.
          I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Symptoms

You are so right. Many of the symptoms for MS are the same as for hearty problems. I asked the my cardiologist how I could tell the difference. He told me I couldn't.

I figured out that was probably the answer I would get. We are so lucky we are as smart as our doctors sometimes.

Lois

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
              I don't know about anyone else, but I guess the symptom I am trying to express is "general malaise". What I wouldn't give to feel normal the way I used to remember the term! I hate my "new normal"!
              Amen !!!! You just put into words the way I feel today.....and most days......"new normal" has me forgetting what it feels like to feel normal ?

Comment

I had to think back on this, but you know, you're right. The last flu bug I had, the only way I knew was my lungs filled up with crap causing that pain in the back, chest and throat areas. If that hadn't happened, I may not have known. Is this why I can't tell a cold from a possible allergy? For several years now, I'd get the sniffles without feeling much different than my usual. I'd just assume it was an allergy of some type - but I don't get them every year - and I've never been an allergy-prone person.
                I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Working...
                X