MS and thyroid issues, any others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and thyroid issues, any others?

So I was dx with MS in March. NOW I have just finished an ultrasound of my thyroid which found mulitple nodules - I now have a referal to a endocrinologist. Are you serious? I am 32, just turned 32.. wth is up with that?

Anyway, who else out there has MS and thyroid issues? What kind of 'treatment' have you experienced? I am just starting Rebif, well not really started, my first dose brought forth a nasty cold and so I am waiting it out to do my second dose... so will that be an issue since I have read all the issues with these medications affecting our thyroid? What if the endo wants to remove my thyroid? Will I wait to continue rebif so the surgery wont be an issue?

I was on Copaxone before.. never had any thyroid issues until now.. I wonder if C had anything to do with my nodules?

I have read a lot of information on how one autoimmune disorder can be indicitive of others.. and how gluten can affect us all..(been GF since April) so it doesn't 'surprize' me I guess.. especially since my mother had thyroid issues- but I guess I just don't know what to expect with having both MS and thyroid issues.. how do they treat that?

I just have the nodules and an enlarged thyroid, all my blood work for thyroid function has been normal. So what should I expect?? any ideas... still waiting on my endo appointment to be scheduled..

Sorry you are having a bad time. It's difficult to have something else to deal with besides MS. I don't have any experience with this myself, but my best friend had some nodules removed from her thyroid. In her case, she had a malignant tumor which required radiation. She's fine now. Also, my Aunt has thyroid issues. They have great meds now that can help control your symptoms. Thinking about you.

Comment

I don't know if there is an MS and thyroid correlation, but my PCP runs thyroid level blood tests once a year. I thought that maybe she thought I was hypothyroid because I have trouble losing weight, but the thyroid levels never change from year to year. Maybe she checks because MS could impact thyroid function?

Comment

First of all, take a deep breath. I know it's easy to be scared when you've had something thrown at you. Thyroid issues, from what I've been told thus far, are among the most managable.

It's definitely not unheard of to have both MS and thyroid issues. I'm in your boat - and younger. From my experience, the only talk of removing the thyroid comes if there's fear of cancer. It sounds like you're fine on that. As long as your thyroid continues to function, they'll keep monitoring the nodules. Just be prepared for ultrasounds and blood tests a couple of times a year.

I can't speak to the MS meds/thyroid connection, but it might be worth a call to your neuro. It should help put your mind at ease.

Comment

I have parathyroid disease. I never heard of it before my PDr came up with it. I didn't even know what a parathyroid was. There are six of them and they control the calcium in your blood. I see an endo on the 20th. I guess I have to get one or two of the out. What did Roseannadana say "Its alway somethin."

Comment

I have had hypothroidism since I was in my early 20's- runs in my family. Now I when I start DMDs hopefully soon if the insurance gets all worked out- my PCP and neuro want me to monitor it every 3 months with a THS test (simple blood test). Having had thyroid issues for 15 years or so, it's easy to take care of with the proper medication. I have been told that DMDs can affect your thyroid. Also my doctor always feels my thyroid for nodules I guess when I visit.
            ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
            Dx the first time: 10/25/11
            Avonex 1/12-10/12
            Revaluation of Dx 10/12
            Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

I don't know if there's a connection between MS and Thyroid issues--that may be something to 'google' and research further, or ask your Doctor.

BUT I was distracted from researching 'why' my legs and feet felt numb and tingly back in 2005--my Doctor had done some blood work, but then we noticed that my thyroid was enlarged with some nodules. Had a few tests and it was decided to remove it to be sure there wasn't cancer inside--there wasn't, so I was OK but now have to take a daily Thyroid pill.

I also developed Type 2 Diabetes around that time, so I have been focusing on treating that. SO when I started having eye problems at the beginning of this year--then I had an MRI and Spinal Tap and the MS was discovered.

Are the two connected? That is an interesting question.

Comment

Oh yes... I have Graves Disease. Started with a hyperactive thyroid, then they dx Graves. It is absolutely NO FUN! This has been the hardest thing I have ever dealt with. My MS is a walk in the park in comparison.

I don't know if there really is a connection. Other than the fact they are both autoimmune diseases.

There are only 2 meds (that I know of) for hyperthyroidism. Both of them caused me other problems. So, last January we "killed" my thyroid. I'm not sure if it was a good decision, but I have to live with it now.
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

My blood work that was done on me in March came back fine but then my new Dr did more in October and I had hypothyroidism. I had very rapidly put on about 15lbs a couple of months before that blood test.
                  I do not know what caused it to go out of whack so suddenly, and during the time I was trying to get a diagnosis for what was wrong with me.
                  DX 10/26/11

Comment

I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune disease of the thyroid. I was dx in April of this year. I did not have to get my thyroid removed, I just take 50 mcg of Levothyroxine per day.

I do not know the interactions with Rebif as I am newly diagnosed and haven't had the chance to speak with my Neuro about meds. My follow up is the 16th.

Autoimmune diseases can double up, from what I have read, and MS and Hashimotos is common.

To test for this all you need is a simple blood test.

Good luck at your Endo

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! I obviously wont know what the issue is until I see the endo, but atleast hearing from some of yall who have experienced different issues over the years, and who are dealing with MS at the same time, is going to make it a little easier for me.

Thanks again for the replies, I do love this message board!

Comment

Gomer here, the only lottery I ever won is the autoimmune lottery. MS and psoriasis; my diabetes and hypoTHYROID may also be AI related............

.Gomer

Comment

I am not technically diagnosed yet, but Doc 'highly suspects' MS...I have signs, lesions...and we're waiting for results of the spinal tap for it to be official.

That said, I was reading over the MRI report and I saw something my Neuro didn't mention to me. It says:

"Incidentally noted 7-mm T2 hyperintense nodule in the right lobe of the thyroid gland."

I'll ask Doc at next visit. My thyroid blood work was normal.

Please keep us posted. I'll be interested to know how it turns out for you.
                          "Man's importunity is God's opportunity. He uses our problems as building material for his miracles." ~Corrie Ten Boom

Comment

Originally posted by Canary54 View Post
                            I don't know if there is an MS and thyroid correlation, but my PCP runs thyroid level blood tests once a year. I thought that maybe she thought I was hypothyroid because I have trouble losing weight, but the thyroid levels never change from year to year. Maybe she checks because MS could impact thyroid function?

there was an article written by a Rocky Mountain MS neuro who said in 1 paragraph of about a 5 page article that the most common 2nd autoimmune diseae with MS is thyroid & MS.

I should find that article so you can see exactly how he worded his statement. i was just suprised at all the other possible 2nd autoimmune conditions thyroid was most common, one i hadn't thought of.
                            xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by Canary54 View Post
                              To continue my past post i found the article where a doc at the Rocky Mountain MS Center writes having ms increases the risk of a thyroid autoimmune disorder.

its on page 9 in bottom of 2nd column continuing on to 3rd column in the article " Diagnosing MS by Dr. John Corboy and Patricia Daily,LCSW

where he responds to the question..how often do you see people who have 2 autoimmune conditions?

He replies--it's not very common in MS people. The literature suggest there is nothing consistently associated with ms. BUT woman with MS have an increased risk of thyroid disease. About 3% of all woman have an autoimmune thyroid disorder but 13-14% of woman with MS do...

Link to the article in my home page if you want to read it.
                              xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Working...
                              X