Double vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double vision

I thought that there was no way that I could get worse than I am, but boy was I mistaken! For some reason, just out of the blue, my eyes have started to see double vision. Apparently the muscles that control my eyes are not working anymore. Not knowing whether to go to my regular doctor or an eye doctor I chose the latter. He has worked with someone who has multiple sclerosis and has had trouble with double vision for a long time. I have never heard of this being a symptom of MS. Is anybody else out there plagued with this problem also? How did Marty Feldman do it? The other day I was looking in the mirror and one eye went off into lala land. Luckily the eye doctor is able to correct my vision with glasses. Right now I am waiting for a new pair of glasses. About five years ago I had LASIK surgery so that I wouldn't have to wear glasses and now I have to again. At least this can be corrected!

double vision...

I have had trouble in the past with double vision, it was part of an exacerbation I had some years ago. I went on an IV steroid series to get better quicker. It was over the holidays and when I look back at pictures I looked like I was drunk or on something. I could drive until it got better. Now if I have a flare it sometimes bothers my vision. Good Luck!

Comment

Prisms should help. It's pretty common. Of course, I got the version that no one's heard of (and nothing works on)...

Comment

I've had double vision more than once, way back when. Usually a course of steroids cleared it up. If you know you have MS, I'd call your neuro about it.
        Proud Mom of three kids!
        dx'd 1996

Comment

I get it all the time too.

It just doesn't stay the same so prisms aren't an option. One time during my first attack it was so bad when I looked at my husband he said one eye was way off
          My sister in law had a stroke and hers is always the same so she can wear prism glasses.
          Lined bifocals have less distortion so you might prefer to go to them when you need them.
          Might try an ophthalmologist too.
          techie
          Another pirated saying:
          Half of life is if.
          When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
          Dogs Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
            It just doesn't stay the same so prisms aren't an option. One time during my first attack it was so bad when I looked at my husband he said one eye was way off
            My sister in law had a stroke and hers is always the same so she can wear prism glasses.
            Lined bifocals have less distortion so you might prefer to go to them when you need them.
            Might try an ophthalmologist too.
            techie
            Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know what your formal diagnosis is? Do you have any good methods for controlling it? I'm so sick of my eye patch.

Comment

Double vision

Thanks for the notes! I am going to call my neurologist right away. I have been wimpy this last week and wondered if I was having an exacerbation and it looks like maybe I was.

Comment

I have double vision, and I have prisms in my glasses. It's true that the prisms don't correct it all the time, but they correct it much of the time. Mine is due to a convergence issue. I think it's not uncommon in MS.

Comment

Double vision

I didn't know if you are asking me what my diagnosis was but it was secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I am in a wheelchair and have had MS for 30 years. Until I get my glasses all I have is the eye patch and I agree with you, it is not fun! I have reading glasses and have blacked out the right eye on one pair and blacked out the left eye on another pair for reading.

Comment

Sorry! My question was directed at techie... Mine is completely non-responsive to treatment, so I'm really wondering if someone else has better ideas about how to deal with it.

By the way, you only need to black out one eye. The other eye will compensate.

Comment

yup. it was my first symptom 8 years ago. i still have residual double vision, but it has greatly improved. except when i'm tired, i see like 1 and 1/8th ish. but it no longer bothers me.
                      Learn from yesterday
                      Live for today
                      Hope for tomorrow

Comment

I've had it too.
                        It's strange to say the least.
                        Please do call your neuro.

PS (I've got an MS friend who gets fuzzy vision when she gets fatigued, so it's her cue to immediately rest).

I hope you are back to boring old 3-D vision soon!

Comment

I have had diplopia (double vision) since 1964 at age 18. It was a new eye doc in 2009 who for the first time questioned WHY I got diplopia and opened the MS can-o-worms and led to formal Dx many decades later. The formal MS dx explained FIFTY years of unresolved problems.

I have worn prisms ever since 1964. I only need them changed ever few years or as long as 10-12 yrs between prism updates/changes

heliotrope..... its best to block only ONE eye at a time and alternate between them (to reduce odds the brain will ignore one) to maintain best vision possible.

Gomer

Comment

Didn't know that. Thanks Gomer.

Comment

My double vision is only when I look to the left. By the time I could get my neuro(I had at that time) to listen to me it became permenant. I have been told since then that had it been treated early on it probably wouldn't have been permenant. Thank you very much !!

I was tested several times for myasthenia gravis, They said my double vision symptoms and the fact that when I'm tired or waking up one eye doesn't open right away were classic symptoms for MG. The test were negative, which took us back to MS which I had already been diagnosed for and was on Copaxone.

They said I probably had a lesion in the optic nerve or something like that, but anyway the doctors said since it went untreated it was here to stay. If the double vision ever centered then I could use prism glasses. So far it hasn't changed. I've just learned to live with it and adjust my head so I can see.

I sure wish you the best and hope it goes away.

Hugs
                              Lynn
                              Lynn, Proud Gold Star Mom of
                              Cpl Christopher W. Belchik
                              KIA IRAQ August 22, 2004

Comment

Working...
                              X