Son of an MS sufferer in need of advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son of an MS sufferer in need of advice

My mother has relapsing-remitting MS, diagnosed about 18 years ago. I'm her 24 year old son and recently, I've been wondering about my own health with respect to MS. I do not have any symptoms at all, but I'm concerned about the genetic aspect of the disease. I'm well aware that MS is not considered a hereditary condition, but that there are some known genetic factors that are linked to MS. I know the statistics, too, and I'm aware of the results gleaned from twin studies.

Basically, my question(s) are: am I being a hypochondriac being that I have no symptoms at all? Is there a way for a neurologist to "screen" me for MS, even with no symptoms? Does anyone else have any experience with being the child of an MS sufferer and wondering about their own underlying health? And if so, what did you do about it?

Any advice anyone can give me would be excellent and much appreciated.

I don't think you're being a hypochondriac... I think it is very reasonable to be concerned!

What I would do, if I were you, is mention your concerns to your Doctor. If anything odd crops up, they will at least be willing to acknowledge that you MIGHT have some weaknesses in that direction, and it might save you some headache later.

There is no harm in discussing it with your Dr. If nothing else, they will be able to lay rest to any fears you may have.

Comment

Hi sEsposito7:
      Being cognizant of a family medical history that you have a chance of inheriting isn't being a hypochondriac. Worrying about something that hasn't happened but might would be.

Currently, there's no "screening" test for MS since there's no sign, symptom or test result that's exclusive to MS. A diagnosis of MS is based on a combination of particular signs and symptoms, and the ruling out of other possible causes. Since you don't have any signs or symptoms yet, there's nothing to base a diagnosis on. In addition, medical insurance won't pay for the testing involved in an MS workup without medical justification for it. No signs, no symptoms = no justification.

It could be worthwhile for you to discuss your concerns with your primary care doctor and get a general physical checkup, if for no other reason than peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by sEsposito7 View Post
        My mother has relapsing-remitting MS, diagnosed about 18 years ago. I'm her 24 year old son and recently, I've been wondering about my own health with respect to MS. I do not have any symptoms at all, but I'm concerned about the genetic aspect of the disease. I'm well aware that MS is not considered a hereditary condition, but that there are some known genetic factors that are linked to MS. I know the statistics, too, and I'm aware of the results gleaned from twin studies.

Basically, my question(s) are: am I being a hypochondriac being that I have no symptoms at all? Is there a way for a neurologist to "screen" me for MS, even with no symptoms? Does anyone else have any experience with being the child of an MS sufferer and wondering about their own underlying health? And if so, what did you do about it?

Any advice anyone can give me would be excellent and much appreciated.
        You are not being a hypochondriac-you've done your research, and you know what you know. Your mother probably worries enough for the both of you if she is anything like me when it comes to my daughter. She probably knows what you do...have you ever had a heart to heart talk about your concerns?

The bottom line is DON'T BORROW TROUBLE. Even if there was a test for finding out you would have M.S. in the future, would you want to take it? There is no cure, nor is there any preventative measures you can take (that we know of). You are a young man, the world is your Oyster, so live your life. That is the same advice I will give my daughter when she "pops the question" one day.

Good luck to you and your Mom. If you've done all that research, you must realize that the odds are in your favor that you will NOT have M.S. I am betting that many of our children here have the same worries, but hopefully you guys will learn not to be consumed by something that will most likely never happen.
        Tawanda

Comment

Working...
        X