counterpoint- a doctor going the extra mile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

counterpoint- a doctor going the extra mile

Disclaimer here- I'm an RN, and my best friend is an MD. I expect a lot from my doctors, but have been pretty bothered by my last two neurology appointments (MS neuro went from saying I might have early MS at the first visit to acting like she'd never seen me at the second; epileptologist chalked up my seizure-like episodes as 'anxiety attacks').

My rheumatologist has expressed concern that doctors here in western NY may not be able to determine if my symptoms are from lupus, or from MS. She said, 'I really think you need to be evaluated somewhere like the Cleveland Clinic'. My kids' geneticist is at CC and is a phenomenal, very caring man.

I typed up a list of my symptoms, along with a history of the past year medically, and emailed him with a request for help, if he had the time. He called me the very next morning, and spent the better part of today speaking with colleagues in the MS center and rheumatology/autoimmune clinic. He's working on getting me appointments in both clinics!

I'm so, so thankful to him for doing this. The main reason I appreciate his help is that he *knows* me, and knows how I am under normal conditions. I don't stumble for words, lose my train of thought, or get lost in my own neighborhood. He knows I don't exaggerate symptoms, and that I know the difference between an anxiety attack and a seizure. He can vouch for me being a sane, intelligent, rational person at my baseline- and, as we all have probably learned, doctors are not immune from dismissing complaints in those with invisible disabilities (especially women, IME).

I know CC has one of the best MS centers in the country- if they say I don't (or do) definitively have MS, I will believe them, you know? I told Dr. N that I want to be able to function again- to take care of myself, my children, and hey, crazy thought- I'd really love to be functional enough to work again someday! My husband is going to have to spend the foreseeable future overseas (he's been in the Middle East for a year already) because he can't find a job in the US, and we have to keep our insurance. So...I really need to be functional.
    Rachel

39 with systemic lupus, celiac disease, and possible MS

Best of luck with your appointments, I'd love to hear how it all goes!

Comment

I was relieved to find the doctor's at CC.

My previous neuro had told me to me happy that I didn't have a brain tumor and to call him when things got worse.

When I encountered the doctor's at the Mellen Center they were more than gracious with their time from the start. I have never felt rushed or unheard when I had a visit.

They were also very accomodating with my "need" to be tested for everything that I could find so I could say that it wasn't MS.

I hope your experience will be as professional and reassuring as my relationship with them has been.

I am very happy with they way that they meet together to discuss aspects of their patients so they can brainstorm and give the most to their patients.

Even though I eventually had to face the reality of the dx, I am very confident in their research and their approach to patient care. I feel very involved with every decision that we make.

Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by rsb View Post
        My rheumatologist has expressed concern that doctors here in western NY may not be able to determine if my symptoms are from lupus, or from MS. She said, 'I really think you need to be evaluated somewhere like the Cleveland Clinic'. My kids' geneticist is at CC and is a phenomenal, very caring man.
        I'm not sure where in Western NY you are. But we have two of the best neurology centers in the Buffalo area.

Jacobs Neurology is a part of Buffalo General Hospital. They are deeply involved in MS research and the clinic is very highly regarded by the NMSS.

Dent Neurology is also very highly respected and the doctors there go the extra mile to help.

There is also an excellent MS center at University of Rochester medical center.

I wish you well at the Cleveland Clinic. How fortunate you are to have a good contact there.

Be well,

Comment

Originally posted by KarenR View Post
          I'm not sure where in Western NY you are. But we have two of the best neurology centers in the Buffalo area.

Jacobs Neurology is a part of Buffalo General Hospital. They are deeply involved in MS research and the clinic is very highly regarded by the NMSS.

Dent Neurology is also very highly respected and the doctors there go the extra mile to help.

There is also an excellent MS center at University of Rochester medical center.

I wish you well at the Cleveland Clinic. How fortunate you are to have a good contact there.

Be well,
          I have a friend who goes to Jacobs and really loves her neurologist. She had a very bad experience with Dent; my children see one of their neurologists, and I love him. I have seen a neurologist there twice. The first time, she was fantastic, the second time, she was very dismissive, contradicted everything she'd said in the earlier appointment, and led me to believe she thought I was someone else. I'm still waiting to find out what happened that day!
          Rachel

39 with systemic lupus, celiac disease, and possible MS

Comment

Working...
          X