horrible tube ride..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

horrible tube ride..

I had my second MRI today. Last week I had the t-3 of the brain at a hospital. It was comfortable, I was toasty with nice warmed blankies, and I listened to the radio. It was a real nice MRI and hardly made any noise, so i am thinking it was rather new.-- or maybe it was the music..

Today was the total opposite. It was of my spine. I was freezing cold, no music,my ear plugs did not fit, and the "waves" were so strong my lips vibrated, it was painful at times, and I had a strong metallic taste in my mouth.

I am so sick of these tests. I certainly hope they find something... anything.

LBJ

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Some machines are definitely better than others and it can also depend on what location is being scanned.

Personally, I hate shooting the tube, and usually have to be bombed out of my gourd with Xanex to even be able to get in the thing. The thoracic MRI I had back during the summer was horrible because I'd worn a long sleeve blouse and felt like I'd been shoved onto a BBQ grill. I was burning up! My last one (and believe me, I fully intend for it to be my LAST one) was probably the best I've ever had. It was nice and cool, there was a mirror on the head cage so I could see out, and I had just the right amount of Xanex so I was "happy" without having to worry about sitting around babbling about bunnies smoking cigarettes like I've been known to do before. (I've had at least two to three MRIs a year for the past five and a half years, so I've gotten to be infamous at some of the radiology departments.)

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find some answers soon.

Hugs,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Lisa,

You crack me up. The image of you smoking cigarettes all jacked up on xanax just might get me through the test results tomorrow!!!

LBJ

Comment

That Sounds Awful

Comfortable Clients = Better MRI Results
        Win/Win for Everyone

I am lucky both radiology sites in my town have open MRIs, warm blankets, and great headphones.

There is no way I could have tolerated those conditions and stayed still enough to get good results. I am sorry you had to go through that.
        M.
        A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by asiel1 View Post
          Lisa,

You crack me up. The image of you smoking cigarettes all jacked up on xanax just might get me through the test results tomorrow!!!

LBJ
          LBJ, it was actually bunnies smoking cigarettes. I was also babbling (same appointment) about how if you have a kitten, you have to put it in a bigger skin or it doesn't grow properly. But you don't waste the old skin, you just use it for a smaller kitten. I think I'd had just a wee bit too much Xanex on that trip! At that particular radiology department, I'm now known as the bunny lady. Kind of embarrassing, actually. LOL!!
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by maitrimama View Post
            Comfortable Clients = Better MRI Results
            Win/Win for Everyone

I am lucky both radiology sites in my town have open MRIs, warm blankets, and great headphones.

There is no way I could have tolerated those conditions and stayed still enough to get good results. I am sorry you had to go through that.

It was tough. I am sure my results will be poor, luckily it was not the brain scan. I am not surprised. Nearly every MRI I've had here in Dallas-Fort Worth has been poor. The one in the fancy tube was the first nice one. I actually feel confident it will find something. I hope I am right.

LBJ

Comment

I've never been uncomfortable with my brain MRIs; the lady who runs the place always ensures I'm "settled" and ready.

However, I've never had a spinal MRI - am scheduled for that (cervical and thoracic) next Monday.

Anyone know how long that takes?

Thanks.
              "Tona Naze"
              Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

My spine MRI was forty five minutes of sheer torture. I hope yours is a breeze.

LBJ

Comment

Oso- I had all three sections of my spine done with and without contrast and it took about 1 and a half hours in the tube.

Asiel1- I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Hopefully next time will be better.

Shashi- OMG that is hilarious. At least you made the radiologist day I'm sure.

Comment

45 minutes

All without contrast -
                    Brain/Cervical = ~45 minutes
                    Spine Lumbar/Thoracic = ~45 minutes

The spine didn't come out great due to no fault of the technician. I have involuntary movement in my left leg, they even tried putting a large rubber bandy thing on my lower legs...oh well.
                    M.
                    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you all for the insight on "tube times"...
                      "Tona Naze"
                      Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X