Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surgery

I need couple of surgeries. They are small but you have to be put out. Last time they put me out they couldn't do the surgery. Because I have MS the anesthesiologist did want to put me under all the way, cause he thought I might have trouble breathing. They couldn't do the surgery because I was moving around to much. If you leave my legs to their own devices who knows what they will do. I was really pissed, my breathing is not effected by my MS. I had gall bladder surgery while back no problems. I was put out for the bowel and stomach exam no problems I don't want the same thing to happen again. Any ideas.

I didn't have any trouble with my colonoscopy.In fact I was quite talkative on the way home!

techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
      I didn't have any trouble with my colonoscopy.In fact I was quite talkative on the way home!

techie
      Colonoscopy, that was the word I was trying to think of. Thanks

Comment

I've back surgery and a hip replacement. Granted they were both done before I knew I had MS.

The back surgery was 18 months before my second relapse and the hip surgery was 8 months before the second relapse.

For the back surgery I was under general anesthesia and for the hip surgery it was a spinal + happy juice. I had no problems at all.

'm thinking it's time to find a new anesthesiologist.
        At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

I would check it with your neuro and have him/her get in touch with that anesthesiologist. There are ways to do surgery on people with Parkinsons and asthma, COPD, I don't understand why you are getting that response.

Talk to the neuro! good luck - even though surgeries suck, they are a necessary evil that really can't be avoided at times.
          This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Since I've been diagnosed I've had 5 surgeries and was put under general anesthesia with each of them. The longest was about 5 hours, shortest about an hour.

I had discussions with the anesthesiologist before each surgery, and the only warning I ever got was to not be alarmed if I woke up with a vent. He said that occasionally, with an MS patient, they may need to put them on a vent for a day post surgery.

That never happened, I've never had breathing issues during or after the surgeries.

Comment

Surgery and MS

I was diagnosed with RRMS about 6 years ago and have been on Rebif since then. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer and have had 5 different surgeries and/or procedures that included general anesthesia. I have never had any trouble with anesthesia at all. I have spoken to the anesthesiologist the night before each surgery and just prior to being wheeled into the operating room. As others have mentioned, people with MS may have issues maintaining their airway so it is very important that the anesthesiologist be aware of your condition. It was never once suggested to me that a procedure be skipped due to my MS status. I suggest that if you need something done under general anesthesia you make a point of discussing the matter with the assigned anesthesiologist beforehand.

Good luck.

Comment

Thank you all, Good suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X