If you've had optic neuritis read here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've had optic neuritis read here!

Wow, I saw this headline today in neurology news and eye health news.

If you've had permanent vision loss from optic neuritis like I have, this article is a must-read. Such an exciting development, I am blown away. Up until now everything I've heard is that optic nerve damage can not be treated so this truly is amazing. Even if this treatment only helped somewhat, for me that would be so wonderful. Looking forward to hearing more about this development. I hope it helps some of you also.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/236858.php

Interesting article. I've had 4 episodes of ON (2 in each eye), one that actually caused almost total blindness in the eye (central scotoma).

Luckily, I did recover my vision each time, and the only problems I have now are age-related.

Do you know, is anyone using this procedure on patients yet?
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I don't know, Jazzgirl, I was wondering myself. I hope that they will put it into practice, I would love to try it out. I also have a central scotoma, unfortunately mine never healed and my right eye is blind from it. My fondest wish is that one day no one will have to suffer long-term visual loss from this condition as I have. Maybe this is the answer to my prayers, fingers crossed!

Comment

I'd never heard of it (which means absolutely nothing ). I'd ask the neuro at your next appointment.

I'm so very sorry that you never really recovered from your episode of ON. It's both annoying AND painful when it's active.

I raged against it, but I don't think that made things any better. I was fortunate. It eventually resolved itself, although the scotoma took forever! THAT was a true PITA!

Stay strong! Jan
        “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Thanks Jazzgirl, I am going to ask my neuro-ophthalmologist next time I go. Yes, I would agree that my lost vision is a major PITA. I can smile about it now but it's been a long, very hard road and it is hard every day. I hope this breakthrough can truly help people!

Comment

Working...
          X