ECTRIMS ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECTRIMS ...

I just watched a brief conversation between Dr. Zwibel and Dr. Lublin about the ECTRIMS conference in Amsterdam. They were to discuss the highlights. It took almost as long to read their names and positions as it did to talk about the "highlights."

They sounded calmly as confused as ever about MS and the treatments and the blood barrier and the MRIs ...discouraging to listen to them. Were there any patients there? Patient Advocates? I know MS World had one blogger and NMSS had one as well, both with MS. But were "plain old ordinary trying to cope" people with MS there?

I'd been following it day by day ... lots of pretty posters.
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Lately, I've been thinking about why it is that brilliant researchers are loaded down with responsibilities that hinder their ability to express their biggest talents. There is only so much that is humanly possible, and I find it sad that MD/PhDs have to manage staff, teach students, see patients and on-the-side conduct their research. I'm not sure why this is, but it seems like a waste of talent and time. There are so few of them to begin with, and what there is out there seems to be weighted down by too many responsibilities.

There might come a day when that changes, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.
    I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I think the answer is money.

Teaching faculty at medical schools (where most research is done) have to compete for grants, and if they are clinicians (MD's or PhD's in clinical fields), they can generate money by seeing patients. At medical schools, they need to teach students and residents and encourage them to consider academic research careers.

The lengthy description of titles, training and achievements is necessary to persuade others that their opinions deserve credence.

Many meetings are open to the public should you choose to find them and register, but there are generally substantial fees to pay. It costs money to put on a meeting - plan the meeting, rent the conference facilities, fly in and house the speakers, accommodate the needs of the attendees. Since the meeting is geared for researchers, much of the content would not be easily understood by non-medical people who do not have the relevant technical background.

Comment

Working...
      X