Dad went to nursing home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad went to nursing home

You might want to read some of my old post to remember all that was going on. Dad (71) has lived with me for 6 yrs. In March he had pneumonia which really kicked his MS into high gear. He had to go to a rehab for a while, but came back home after 5 weeks. Things just didnt go well after that. Dad was losing more and more bladder control, yet refused to wear depends. He also refused to wear a catheter. This was beyond frustrating. His room smelled like an outhouse and it was right off from my living room.

Then he started smoking again. I had demanded that he quit and just chew tobacco. I sympathize with that fact that he is addicted to smoking, I really do. But he was falling asleep asleep with cigs & had holes all over his room. On the carpet, bedding, mattress, his clothes. I couldnt just sit back & let him burn my house down! Dad was important but my kids are more important! So I smelled smoke and went in his room. Yes he was smoking & I was just going to have to deal with it! Ummm, no I dont. What nursing home do you want to go to? So he has been there for 3 months & up til the past 2 weeks it has went well.

I had to have knee replacement 5 weeks ago. Actually I have needed this for a long time but put it off because of living with Dad. As soon as I got him into the home I scheduled my surgery. I explained to him & the staff that I was having this done. They said no worries he would be fine. I made sure he had 8 weeks worth of cigs, tobacco, cokes, & snacks. Last week I got a call from his nurse. They are having terrible behavior problems out of him. HE is very combative & downright nasty. Has even sat in the hallway & called the young female aids *****/***** as they walk by him. The final nail in the coffin was he hit another resident. They were in the smoking room & he just went off on this man. Several witnesses said it was Dad who started it. I guess he was swinging, kicking, and even tried to stand. Dad hasnt been able to walk for 20 years.

They called me for permission to take him to the hospital. They were going to have him admitted to the geriatric psyche ward. I told them to do whatever they needed to do. There was no beds available so they had to wait. In the mean time Dads left knee started to swell and hurt badly. They took him to an Ortho & he has a fracture. The Otho put him in a knee immobilizer & he has to go back in a few days for a cat scan. They said that he is in terrible pain. I told the nurse well that that is what you get when you act like a fool! She said they asked him if it was worth the fit he had and he said NO! I asked if there was a bed available at the hosp yet. She said they canceled that because he was being so good now. This annoys me because I think his behaviors need looking into. I told her that was ok because it would happen again. They will end up taking him there I guarantee it. Anyway, I just wanted to update...

I haven't gone back and read, but do remember your posts about your dad. I think you did the right thing, and the nursing staff is probably familiar with this sort of behavior. I worked in long term care, and I feel for you because being a caretaker is very hard. I agree with you that dad needs more evaluation to see what might be up with these changes. Let us know how this all goes.

Comment

Originally posted by 2badhips View Post
      The final nail in the coffin was he hit another resident. They were in the smoking room & he just went off on this man. Several witnesses said it was Dad who started it. I guess he was swinging, kicking, and even tried to stand. Dad hasnt been able to walk for 20 years.

They called me for permission to take him to the hospital. They were going to have him admitted to the geriatric psyche ward. She said they canceled that because he was being so good now. This annoys me because I think his behaviors need looking into. I told her that was ok because it would happen again. They will end up taking him there I guarantee it.
      An acute gero psych admission is only going to help him if he needs medication management. My guess would be they can tweak his meds at the nursing home and his behavior will improve. This isn't unusual behavior in nursing homes, residents can become agitated.

Please consider that it is very likely that he can't control his behavior and since he isn't in your home any longer hopefully you can continue to be supportive of him by visiting and bringing snacks while letting the professionals do their thing 24/7.

To tell the truth when I read this in a way I was giving your Dad the thumbs up at the thought of him still having the gumption to attempt to get up out of his wheelchair to kick someone's ***. Maybe that other guy deserved it.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Working...
      X