Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else heard of this, or have any opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else heard of this, or have any opinions?

I heard about this on the news a few weeks ago and finally got around to Google it. I simply searched for "gamers solve puzzle with AIDS". It's probably just me and my "black helicopters" form of thinking, but why isn't anyone or organization trying things like this for m.s.!? I'm VERY glad that they've possibly made a break through in the research, but what is the m.s. community doing?

Yes, AIDS is a terrible disease; as is m.s.. At 43 years of age, I've never met anyone with AIDS. However, 95% of the people I meet (and usually ask me why I have a cane), have a relative or friend who ALSO has m.s. Does anyone have any good hard numbers on the U.S. population with m.s.? How about by State?

I'll get off the soapbox now. I am, sincerely happy, that they've possibly found a chink in the armor of AIDS. Especially since they did so through "non-conventional" means!
    Dx'd 08/2010 RRMS
    Rebif, Copaxone, Gilenya, Tecfidera
    "Fall down 7 times, get up 8"

What did they discover about aids? And did you know so many people with MS before you had MS? One of the things that amazes me is how i found out everyone knows someone with MS AFTER i was diagnosed? but not before...did all 400,000 people in the US get diagnosed the same day i did????

MS has benefited a lot from what they discovered about aids when they apply that knowledge to MS...in a way we are kindred diseases somehow. The people using Tysabri are more conscious than most people with MS because we share the terrible side affect of PML with the folks who have aids.
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

AIDs might be easier to attack from that route because it's cause is known and easily tested for. It's caused by a virus. The problem with MS is, they don't know the cause. They know the immune system is reacting to something in the CNS, but they don't know what the trigger is. It's a very complex disease. AIDs, on the other hand, being caused by a known virus only has so many variables and angles of attack.

When your dealing with an unknown cause, until that cause is discovered, the variables are too numerous to manipulate. They can only manipulate certain aspects of the immune process that they've discovered and found treatments for.

It's like cancer that way. There is no cure for cancer except catching it early when it can be removed completely. Maybe someday, they'll be able to catch MS in the very beginning stages with a blood test and stave off most of the damage that occurs from a delay in dx.

I see the Mayo has discovered a couple more genes, and they're working on finding biological markers in the serum to detect it more easily and quickly. We can only wait.

If only this country would spend it's money on things that improve the lives of people - like medical research - instead of wars. But I suppose that keeps masses of people employed in a bad economy - unlike medical research. </sarcasm>
      I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

The article was from the website "theweek.com" and states, "In just three weeks, a group of gamers cracks a molecular code that has stumped HIV researchers for more than a decade" (theweek.com). You are very right about knowing others with m.s.! It was only after I was diagnosed that I found out that everyone else has it! Since being diagnosed, I now know why they call it "practicing medicine". They're always practicing because they really don't know anything.

Originally posted by 0485c10 View Post
        What did they discover about aids? And did you know so many people with MS before you had MS? One of the things that amazes me is how i found out everyone knows someone with MS AFTER i was diagnosed? but not before...did all 400,000 people in the US get diagnosed the same day i did????

MS has benefited a lot from what they discovered about aids when they apply that knowledge to MS...in a way we are kindred diseases somehow. The people using Tysabri are more conscious than most people with MS because we share the terrible side affect of PML with the folks who have aids.
        Dx'd 08/2010 RRMS
        Rebif, Copaxone, Gilenya, Tecfidera
        "Fall down 7 times, get up 8"

Comment

Working...
        X