Lhermitte's question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lhermitte's question

From what I've read Lhermitte's sign happens when you bend your head down and then the shock goes down your spine. Once in a great while when I turn my head to the side I get a really strong sharp pain that feels like I got shocked but it's in my neck and head. Could it be Lhermitte's or is it strictly chin down with pain down spine? I haven't been diagnosed and I have a appt coming up with my neuro to discuss this and other symptoms.

My L'Hermittes goes down my arms sometimes, down my legs, but always down. Its also not really painful, although some people have painful symptoms. It is, however, very electrical feeling, and sort of buzzy and shocky. Just tell your doc about it.

Comment

I find it varies

I sometimes get a shock down my back, sometimes it's a feeling of tightness and other times I feel it in my hands and legs as well. I've never thought to ask my neuro if it's all one and the same, I just assumed it was because it all stems from the same action.
      Teresa
      Diagnosis February 2011 Avonex: February 2011 - September 2011, Copaxone: September 2011 - current

Comment

b28,

What you are describing does not sound like LHermittes...to me. LHermittes was termed "the barber chair syndrome" due to the head being down when abnormal sensations occur.

You can intentionally make L'Hermittes happen each time you bend your head down. LHermittes goes down and sometimes up (reverse LHermittes) the spine.

You really should discuss this problem with your doctor.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks B28 for starting this thread.......

Snoopy..I am glad you mentioned "reverse LHermittes"!

I have had reverse LHermittes since I was 13/14 years old or for over 50 years. As a teen I got used to them, they did not case any lingering problems, just a ZAP! For me they happen in streaks, I could go months or years between spells of being subjected to the shocks. There would be times it was consistent, ie every time I bent my neck down and times when I was free from the ZAPs.

I had heard of reverse LHermittes in recent years but dismissed MY zaps because it did not go downward.

A few years ago I had one that was nastier, stronger and lasted longer (seconds seemed like eternity) than any in my life! About 15 minutes later, give or take, I could hardly walk at all.

Gomer Still learning.........

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
            Snoopy..I am glad you mentioned "reverse LHermittes"!
            Hi Gomer,

I had never heard of reverse LHermittes until a few years ago when I started doing more reseach. I have never experienced LHermittes in reverse (going up the spine) but I have had LHermittes since my first exacerbation, which got me diagnosed, 26 years ago.

The URL below explains LHermittes. The only thing I didn't like about this article is it says LHermittes is a classic sign of MS. LHermittes is not exclusive to MS and can be caused by any damage to the cervical spine as well as other causes.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...ticlekey=16049

Gomer Still learning

Aren't we all
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Sorry 4 da TYPO.. the word reverse does not belong in the quoted sentence below;

"I had heard of reverse LHermittes in recent years but dismissed MY zaps because it did not go downward.

I had forever just thought it was because I tilted my head a wrong way or something. Mine have always been on the right side, starting in the neck and traveling up the right side of my head on the back right side.

I have learned so much since the new eye doc opened the MS can-o-worms back in 09, which led to eventual Dx of long standing MS, and still learning more and more all the time.

Gomer (a title earned the hard way)

Comment

Working...
              X