I need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need advice

Hello, I haven't been here for awhile, but, I really could use advice and opinions about something.

I started having symptoms in 2006 and was diagnosed in 2007. I was on Rebif for four years and have been on Copaxone since April. While on Rebif I felt good most of the time, but, didn't sleep well and felt tired the day after my injections. Then last year I started having unexplained muscle tightness and pain. Once I was off Rebif, the pain went away. I haven't felt this good since before my diagnosis. Copaxone is really working for me!

Anyway, I am so ready to go back to work. But, I haven't been employed for 12 years! I quit to raise my kids and when they were old enough to go to school and I could work part-time, MS happened.

Now that I am feeling great and strong enough to hold a job, at least part-time, I am afraid that during an interview (and I know this will happen) they will ask why I haven't worked for so long. Should I be honest and explain as I did above about being on a medication that made me sick and tired most days or should I come up with something else?

I am currently taking a class through a company that hopefully will end with a job. I have to pass a test at the end of the course, but, they will be interviewing soon. So, I really need to have a plan soon.

I want to be honest, hoping that they will see that I am doing great and can handle working. Can anyone share their experiences with me? I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you! Thank you!

I would just say you took a break to raise your children. That is a very honest answer, and also very common. No one needs to know that you could have returned to work 5 years ago.

Mentioning medications and illness could send up red flags to an interviewer. That's just my very humble opinion.

I'm glad you feel so good and are ready to return to working. That's awesome!

Be well,

Comment

I agree with Karen. KISS Keep it simple, sweetie.
      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Hi Getoutside! Glad to have you here.

I agree with Karen about what to say if they ask why you haven't worked for a while. I stayed home and raised children, too. Great answer to me!!

As a former school administrator, I interviewed all kinds of people looking for a position in a public school. As the interviewer, there were a number of questions that I was not allowed to ask. I found that many times people revealed things during the chatty part of meeting before the interview began or when walking around and looking at the facility. Generally they were the things I couldn't ask by law but was informative.

I would suggest not volunteering any information. Don't tell them about your MS-they can't ask you. Shoot-you can't even ask if someone is pregnant (when they obviously are) or has children or tons of other things. I understand the reasons why. Folks many times would rather not hire someone based on the fact they were pregnant. I wasn't one of them.

So good luck with the job hunt. And I'm glad you are feeling so much better and ready to tackle the work force again.

lydialou

Comment

I completely agree with KarenR and Chalknpens!!!!!

The job market is tough enough, just say you wanted to be there for your kids - they can't fault you for being a wonderful mom!

I was terminated due to the effects of MS - yep, I filed a comlaint with the EEOC. After that experience I would not disclose my dx to another employer unless I absolutely had too. I would have gotten more info from the ADA. Unfortunately, I went through the dx process with the law firm that fired me so they knew I had it.

Good luck!!!
          This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Working...
          X