Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Essential tremor isn't a demyelinating disease of itself??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essential tremor isn't a demyelinating disease of itself??

My gram and my mom and I all have a head tremor.
    Mine came on way earlier then thiers (mine in my 30's when my brain lesions appeared, them no brain lesions tremor in thier 70's).

My moms pharmacist told her et is a demylinating disorder.

I said mom I dont think it is unless you have ms.

But whatever.

Ive googled and havent found that unless one has ms.

It sort bugs me she (mom) is so bothered and embarrassed by her tremor when Ive had it for many years younger then her and mine is worse.

She will ask me how I go out in public without being embarrassed sorta makes me feel like a freak when she says that.

I tell her I just dont concentrate on it cause things could be a lot worse. As long as no one points it out I dont notice it or try not too.

Thanks for input

True Essential Tremor is classified as a movement disorder. It is not a demyelinating disease. A good place to look for information is at the Mayo Clinic website. Also, if you Google Essential Tremor you will find several organizations and foundations that exclusively address it.

Grace

Comment

There is familial tremors which can have no known cause and runs in families.

http://healthguide.howstuffworks.com...dictionary.htm
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I've had head tremor on and off over the years..

You're not a freak.

We're just part of a really cool club not many people know about.

I hope your mom comes around and is more accepting of the situation, soon. It sounds like that would make it easier for the both of you.

*hugs and sunshine*
        [insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

Hi sloth:
          Wow! It's hard to put the lid back on misinformation once it starts to spread. The cause of essential tremor isn't known, but neither is it identified with demyelinating diseases. So no, essential tremor is not a demyelenating disease and isn't known to be a result a demyelinating disease. It got its name because it isn't associated with a disease. It's associated with age (>65), which further dissociates it from any identification with disease. The pharmacist appears to be incorrect. Tremor in a person with a demyelinating disease may not be essential tremor.

Half of cases of essential tremor are genetic. If your grandmother, mother and you all have essential tremor, it's certainly possible (even likely) that you have familial essential tremor. Yours might have shown up earlier in life because MS further screwed up the nerve transmissions and, thus, disabled the compensating mechanism.

Comment

Wanted to thank all of you for your replies much apprecitaed.
            Redwings..."hard to put the lid back on misinfo" LOL so true especially w/ moms!

Shakespearemamma: ((hugs)) thanks so much !!

Snoopy and grace I do appreciate the info, thank you

sloth

Comment

Tremors explained at reputable site, NIH.gov

Here is the National Institute of Health's page defining the different types of tremor: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/t...ail_tremor.htm

If I'm not able to post this link, search tremors, NIH.gov in your browser search, and you will find it.

A head tremor may be a postural tremor, not related to age.
              First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
              Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Working...
              X