Fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatigue

I have pretty much been sleeping for the last 24hours and I am still SO tired! Anyone know much about fatigue? Anyway to help it? How do people take care of kids like this? Should I be worried this is a new "flare"? I have always had problems with it but this is insane!

I am going through that awful fatigue as well. I can't get enough sleep.
    There are medicines out there but I haven't found anything to work for me. I sure hope you do, for now sleep if you need it.
    Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
    Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

I try to manage this with kids...

I'm so tired all the time and it gets really tough. Luckily, my son is 12 and can contribute to helping his 5 year old sister.

If I get so tired I can't stand it, I'll take a nap in the living room with the kids. This way, they don't feel like I'm so far away and I always tell them to wake me up if they need anything.

Younger kids would be a lot tougher... I'd probably end up sleeping in front of the door and totally baby proofing the room for sleepy occasions. Not a recommendation... just a realistic thought for me...

I also try to get/prepare food that the kids can grab by themselves if I'm not fully functioning. The stove worries me too much so it's usually cold or microwavable stuff.

A couple years ago, not only was I falling asleep at any random time, but I was having seizures. I had my cousin move in with me until things got a little better. He really was just a safety supervisor but it put my mind more at ease. It really helps to have another person around, if even it's just a neighbor looking out.

I hope you guys feel better. I'm already ready for a nap and I just woke up about an hour ago. What a pain...

[insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

Thanks for replying. My kids are only 3 and 6 so sometimes it gets tough . My (almost) 6yr old is so great and helps me in the mornings so I can sleep till 7 or so. Just had a really bad couple of days. Today was ok (with the help of adrenaline and caffeine but I can already tell that I over did it with preparing for and having my now 3 yr olds birthday party. Bleehhhh. Just SO tired and can't sleep now because of the caffeine so apparently I am rambling again! Gotta love cog-fog! Anyways, thanks again!

Comment

To "fatigue, Sleepiness"

I have been in remission since May of this year. I have not had any kind of event. But am having increasing sleepiness and fatigue. I am unconscious more than conscious. My question is does this signal / sound like any kind re-start of my RRMS? This is my first remission and have only had one episode of active MS which was nothing like this.
          Dave

Comment

I hope others who deal with this write in too. Although I have fatigue issues, I'm not suffering as much as you all are.
            Something that I have found to help though is preparing meals in the morning since I'm always exhausted in the late afternoon and evenings. I also try to make extra to have some to freeze for another meal the next week so I don't have to worry about cooking so much.

Comment

J.man.........(remember)

Only your body/mind knows for sure!

If there is one thing that you can count on being consistent about MS is that MS is Inconsistent!

Gomer Caught ya playing hooky from RA51?

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
                I have been in remission since May of this year. I have not had any kind of event. But am having increasing sleepiness and fatigue. I am unconscious more than conscious. My question is does this signal / sound like any kind re-start of my RRMS? This is my first remission and have only had one episode of active MS which was nothing like this.
                Dave
                It sounds like Change of Season stuff to me.
                I go into Rip Van Winkle mode every time Fall rolls around.
                Have you dealt with fatigue before? For me, it kind of feels like fatigue only its not as bad as the "Get out of my way, I gotta lay down" type of fatigue.

Comment

Me too!

Originally posted by Shiela View Post
                  I hope others who deal with this write in too. Although I have fatigue issues, I'm not suffering as much as you all are.
                  Something that I have found to help though is preparing meals in the morning since I'm always exhausted in the late afternoon and evenings. I also try to make extra to have some to freeze for another meal the next week so I don't have to worry about cooking so much.

I was about to say the same thing, I don't have it as bad as others and I am sorry that it can be so bad... I also am making adjustments like cooking on Sunday and having things prepared for during the week, because weekdays I am too tired when I get home from work. Afternoons, every day, and get worse as the week progresses.

I have started taking a shot of 5-hour energy drink in the afternoon and it has helped tremendously! No crash, no jitters, I drink about 1/3 of the small bottle once a day. Lots of B-6 and B-12 in there...
                  Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                  Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                  Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I get really sleepy this time of year too. I think I'm trying to hybernate, but my schedule is making me exhausted.

You might try 200 to 400 mg of alpha lipoic acid and 1,000 to 2,000 of acetyl L-carnitine. These two anti-oxident supplements have been shown in university studies to help with MS fatigue (also with the fatigue from chronic fatigue syndrome, cancer, aging, etc.) And they're much better for you than the energy drinks or stimulant drugs. I've been taking them since September 2009 and have had great success with them, as have others here.

Be sure to check with your doctor first though, especially if you take any prescription medications for thyroid problems or diabetes, as they can increase the effectiveness of these medications, which might mean you need to adjust your dosages.

I hope you get some relief soon. I know how awful that fatigue can be.

Hugs!

Lisa
                    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I'm still in limbo, but I have this issue as well. My kids are 2 and 4, and my 4 year old is disabled. I live alone with them (my husband is overseas) and I'm lucky that the 4 year old likes to cuddle on the couch. I will gate the 2 year old in the room with us, get on the couch with the 4 year old, and rest (not actually sleeping) until I feel better. It's VERY hard.
                      Rachel

39 with systemic lupus, celiac disease, and possible MS

Comment

[QUOTE=Shashi;1326435] You might try 200 to 400 mg of alpha lipoic acid and 1,000 t

I do actually take that already, as well as amantadine. Thanks though!

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
                          Dave
                          journeyman- this is kinda the same question I was trying to ask really, I just worded differently. I have suffered from fatigue for quite a long time, it just seems to be getting much worse. Anyone know, other than listening to my body, on whether or not it means anything? I don't see my neuro again until Dec. so I was hoping for some more response on if it "signals" anything is up.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the ideas!

I will try to prepare all of the meals in the morning, as I am also the best in the morning. I've often said if I could feel like I do the first couple of hours of the day I'd be set!
                            Anyone have any luck with exercise? I know they say it is good, but I try and I get SO much worse! Any thoughts?

Comment

Good and bad

Originally posted by JDWink View Post
                              Anyone have any luck with exercise? I know they say it is good, but I try and I get SO much worse! Any thoughts?
                              For me it has been good and bad. Sometimes when I walk with my husband I feel great and sleep is wonderful. But the next day I am usually really tired.

On Monday, we went Trick or Treating and walked about 3 miles. I had to call into work yesterday because of severe fatigue and slept the day away But I know exercise is good so I will keep trying and pushing
                              Momma to 3 little ones

Comment

Working...
                              X