No announcement yet.

Please help, very worried about symptoms I'm having. Very long but please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help, very worried about symptoms I'm having. Very long but please help

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum. This is very long but I'm really worried and need input. I am a 29 yr old woman. I haven't been diagnosed but have been having symptoms that are worrying me and makes me wonder. I am going to see a neurologist but not for a couple of weeks. I was just wondering what you guys think about my symptoms b/c I'm really worried about it being this or something else.

I've been having a mild balance problem for a long time. I can't remember exactly when it started but it's definately been at least the last several months. Sometimes when I lean to the side to pick up something I start to fall over and have to catch myself. I started noticing it more several weeks ago and it worried me a little but I just figured it was a side affect of Lamictal. ( I take it for bipolar disorder) Well, about 3 weeks ago I was in the shower washing my hair and I noticed that I felt kind of unsteady and kind of like my head was spinning. It's hard to explain. So I stopped and stood still and closed my eyes to see what would happen. I immediately started tilting backward.

There have been times that while driving I felt buzzed from alcohol. It was really hard to focus on driving and watching the road. Just felt exactly the same as when I have drove buzzed before.( Only did it 3 times in my life and not proud of it ) On Oct.2nd we went to the zoo. We drove and hour to get there and I felt so dizzy the whole way up there and some of the time my head would tilt back as if we were going really fast and I would have to pull it back up and make and effort to keep it there.

I also had a sinus infection at the time so that didn't help. We got to the zoo and the second exhibit we went through was a cave/swamp and was very dark. I felt very unsteady the whole way through and had to hold onto my husband's arm. On Oct. 8th in the morning we went to look at a house. I felt a little dizzy and unsteady while we were there but not too bad. Afterwards we drove to a restaurant to have breakfast. It wasn't very far, we live in a small town. When the car came to a stop when we parked it felt like the car was still moving and/or like my head was spinning. After we ate we drove around town for a little while and I felt dizzy and nauseous.

The next evening I rode dirt bikes for about 10 mins. I rode fairly fast and did some jumps. After I quit and was in house, I started feeling dizzy and nauseous. I went and laid down but it didn't really help. The dizziness improved through the evening but the nausea didn't go away. Yesterday I drove ten minutes to my relative's house. Right after I got there I felt unsteady and dizzy and the most nauseous I have felt yet. The dizziness and nausea improved after about 45 minutes or so. A couple of days ago I drove to my daughter's school to pick her up and then drove to a store in town. Again, not very far b/c we live in a small town. While I was walking around the store I started to feel dizzy and nauseous.

Also, about a month ago I was riding on a merry go round with my son and it was going fairly fast. I got very dizzy and after I got off I had to hunch over for a minute b/c I was so dizzy. I was still unsteady and a little dizzy for about 10 minutes. I've never had motion sickness before. About three weeks ago I drove 35 minutes to my appointment with my psychotherapist. I felt buzzed driving there and I felt completely drained during my appointment. I was so tired and had a very hard time concentrating on our conversation. I lost track of what I was saying several times. On my drive home I felt buzzed again.

A couple of weeks ago within 30-60 minutes my legs felt hot and at the same time like cold raindrops were raining all over my legs. I specifically remember the second time was when I was putting my two year old into his carseat. I went to my family doctor a few days ago hoping that I had an inner ear infection but he said my ears look fine. He said my lamictal could be causing it but said it's worrisome b/c it's lingering and he wants me to see my neurologist.( I already have a neurologist I go to b/c I have Myasthenia Gravis, an auto-immune disorder) Also, I take seroquel for bipolar disorder also. It gives me similar side effects as the symptoms I've been having but only occur after I take it at night and sometimes a little first thing in the morning.

My doctor told me to take my lamictal in two doses during the day instead of the whole dose in the morning like I have been. I started yesterday so I don't know if there's a difference yet. Almost every time I stand still and upright now with my eyes open or closed, I start to tilt back after a few seconds and it feels like my head and body is being pulled backwards. My balance is off almost all the time now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

**post edited by Moderator to break into paragraphs for easier reading! many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print**

bless your !
    being so dizzy is not fun at all. i started spinning a little imagining some of the things you were doing, esp. the merry go round. those things are killers!

i have dx vertigo along with my MS dx. i understand somewhat how awful you must be feeling, but you have a lot of other things going on.
    the dizziness alone won't give you a MS dx, there's so many things that can cause that.
    it's great that you have a dr. on top of things and a trip to neuro sounds like a super idea.
    i'll pray that you find answers and relief soon!
    sounds like you've got your hands full, do you have other children besides the preschooler?
    chasing them is enough to make anyone dizzy!
    guess you already know to be mindful of what's behind you, since it sounds like you might fall over backward anytime. i personally never know if i'm going to land on my face or fanny!
    keep us posted on how you're doing! we're here for ya!
    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Dear B28, sorry to hear you've been having these problems and fears. Balance and dizziness and cog fog can be caused by a number of things, some not serious at all. It's a good to get it checked out but don't freak out because of all the possibilities. The internet can be a great place for information but it can also scare the ** out of you if you start jumping to conclusions.

As Poohb3ar said, "Dizziness along won't get you a MS diagnosis". MS is a disease of exclusion. There are quite a battery of tests to dismiss other all other causes before MS is considered.

Take it one day at a time and start going through the process of elimination with your doctors. I am in hopes that you will find a resolution soon. Take care.

Comment

hi b28

I had that dizziness too that made you fall to one side, almost like something was pulling me down..Mine wasn't my MS but a nasty allergy reaction to something. I now take allergy meds (claretin) daily and it's cleared up.

I hope yours clears up that easily too, dizziness can be hard to 'pin down'...Have a better week!
        Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Hi, B28.

I was also on lamictal when I was having a lot of sxs. The docs tried to put the blame on it so I weened myself off (not recommended) and the sxs persisted. So...for me, it was NOT the lamictal.

I also tried seroquel for ONE DAY and decided I was all set with how dizzy I felt.

So, I must ask... If it's not too personal, how bad is your bipolar? Would you feel safe being taken off your meds, if only to rule out your dizziness/leg issues?

It was worth it for me to rule it out but, I have to tell you, my bipolar got reeeeally severe for a while (I have rapid cycling bipolar) so I probably should have gone right back on it but... well, I didn't. Luckily, things have eased up, now. To be honest, I think all of these physical sxs are related to my mental sxs... But it's just a thought.

I also have no dx and have been under investigation on and off for 5 years.

Prepare for the worst but hope the best, as they say. Brace yourself for those who will try to point the finger at your mental state. Brace yourself to be tossed from one doctor to another. Brace yourself for nobody to believe you. Brace yourself for no solid answers for a while...

BUT again... HOPE FOR THE BEST! You may get lucky and this doc you're going to see may fix you right up. I truly hope so.

However, never forget that you know your body best. Don't give up the fight just because others tell you you're wrong.

I send you a bucket of hugs and sunshine. You came to a good place for support. I, honestly, don't know how I would have stayed so sane without these wonderful people.

Please, be careful when you drive. Use good judgement. Don't be afraid to pull over if you get dizzy. Being delayed is much better than being seriously injured...or worse.

Hang in there and keep us posted. We're always here for you! And welcome!
          [insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

Now I'm not a doctor, but that sounds a lot like labyrinthitis to me, a middle ear thing.
            The Internet can frighten the life out of you, so I'd go to the neurologist and see what he/she thinks.
            Try not to worry too much.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for the support and input.

Poohb3ar- I have four children, 2 yr old, 5 yr old, and two stepchildren ages 14 and 16.

ShakespeareMama-I'm bipolar II. My therapist said I'm mild and more on the depressive side of it. However, I would never want to go off my meds. I've felt so much better ever since I was diagnosed and put on meds.(About 2 1/2 yrs ago)

To everyone- I have another question. I was reading more about MS and saw that there is a symptom that feels like and electrical shock when you move your head a certain way. I've had that off and on since I was in junior high. If I turn my head a certain way I get painful strong shock feeling in my neck that lasts a second. Anyone else experience this and is it something to be worried about?

Comment

I can not wash my hair standing up anymore at all & even sitting down have to fight the fear of falling cause I get so dizzy & unbalanced. If I do stand up I fall to the side.
                I cut my hair because it was so bad, I wanted to get my hair washed so fast, hated to do it.

I also get the feeling of having had too much go drink when driving and I hadn't even touched anything but water... It is very hard when that happens. I do not drive very much anymore now because I can't judge sometimes.

Praying you get answers.
                Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
                Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

Document your symptoms

With time of duration. Take that list with you to the neuro. It will help to determine if there is a pattern. Dx is a process of elimination of anything and every thing else.
                  So don't get too frustrated.
                  techie
                  Another pirated saying:
                  Half of life is if.
                  When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                  Dogs Rule!

Comment

A Rose By Any Other Name

b28 & ShakespeareMama - I too am bipolar, specifically bipolar I with mixed states and rapid cycling. The curious going on now is that my Psychiatrist (who knows me well) says that my Sx's more on the neurological side while my Neorologist feels they are anxiety driven. The bottom line is that any Dx is subjective. I couldn't care less what they call it, I just want to feel better!
                    M.
                    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by b28 View Post
                      I was reading more about MS and saw that there is a symptom that feels like and electrical shock when you move your head a certain way. I've had that off and on since I was in junior high. If I turn my head a certain way I get painful strong shock feeling in my neck that lasts a second. Anyone else experience this and is it something to be worried about?
                      Hello b28,

I would suggest mentioning the above issue to your doctor.

What I believe you are referring to is LHermittes: Bending head forward, chin to chest, will cause abnormal sensations (electrical shocks, vibrations/buzzing) from the spine down. These sensations will only last seconds but can be repeated each time you bend your head downward.

LHermittes is not exclusive to MS, there are other causes, but when related to MS LHermittes is caused by lesions on the cervical spinal cord.
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Snoopy- Yes, I will be mentioning it to my neurologist. It's so weird. I never would have thought of it. It only happens once in a great while and I always thought it was just a weird quirk that I have(as it could still be since I haven't been to my neurologist yet and diagnosed). You said it occurs when you bend head forward. Is there any other head movement that causes it that's MS related? Mine occurs when I turn my head to the side.

Techie-I completely agree with you about keeping a journal. I have been doing that b/c I know I won't be able to remember it all when I talk to doc and to see for myself how often and what exactly is happening to see if it seems to be anything worth worrying about.

angelpach-Wow, you seem to know exactly how I feel which is comforting. Obviously I hope I don't have MS but it's good to know that somebody understands.

To everyone- Again thank you so much for your support, input, and advice. Also, I just thought of something. I do have dizziness but in my original post when I talked about dizziness I should have said vertigo. That is what my family doctor told me it was based on what I described to him when I went to him last week. I don't why I didn't think of that when I posted.

Comment

Working...
                        X