Senses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Senses

I have asked this before but buried in other threads.

Does anyone else feel like their senses have been hijacked?

I have read lots of posts about other people hearing music. I can't tell how big my sigh of relief was. I have been hearing classical music that I can't identify, off and on, for 8 years.

My sense of smell has become greatly heightened. Both good and bad smells can be intolerable. It is bizarre because I have always liked smelling like a girl and I enjoy nice lotion and perfume.

Food tastes different and when it comes to protein it tastes plain yucky. People around me have noticed that I am eating different food.

This is all so weird!
    M.
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

Lost my sense of direction

And my sense of smell somewhat. The smelling has never come back completely. I still have to memorize what direction things are. Doesn't help that streets are frequently on an angle
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

I hear music too

Sometimes it's my furnace (my husband tells me) but I do hear music from the forties ... tinkling of cups and saucers, voices murmuring ... Sometimes it's the birds outside in the early morning (he tells me) but I know it is my ears. I went to an ENT and he wanted to prescribe a "special" herbal remedy ... no thanks. I like the music.

My sense of smell is greatly diminished. We had a skunk that must have been hit in the road and made it to crawl under our barn to die ... Drove my husband crazy as his woodworking shop is out there ... I couldn't smell it after the first day, and he smelled it for weeks.

and i won't even talk about vision, or numb fingertips that make my typing risky.

Taste is related to smell ... Some things taste like plastic to me.

I guess that covers it!
      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

My ears are the worst, I think.

Either I have absolutely no depth perception (i.e. I'll have my head facing down, like when sitting at a desk, and I'll think someone is talking to me from behind me when they're actually in front of me) OR my ears are so sensitive I could scream (i.e. the sound of dishes hitting other dishes - even lightly - is like daggers in my ears!).

[insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

Yea usually everything taste bland or dull. I can't even explain it correctly. Although I can smell things that aren't there. I call them phantom smells to go with my phantom sounds. lol. I hear music alot and people talking. My favorite was the other night it sounded like water dripping, in my ear. Pretty interesting stuff.

Comment

You are not alone.

I have a very heightened sense of smell. I am often running down the source of something smelling hot or burning. My house is going to be on fire some day and I will not make the call because I will think I am imagining it!

My startle reflex is hyperactive.

My husband insists that my sense of taste is going because my cooking is getting spicier.

Lights- especially flourescent- drive me crazy. I feel all dreamy and out of it in stores.

No suggestions on what to do- sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by nappy View Post
              You are not alone.

I have a very heightened sense of smell. I am often running down the source of something smelling hot or burning. My house is going to be on fire some day and I will not make the call because I will think I am imagining it!

My startle reflex is hyperactive.

My husband insists that my sense of taste is going because my cooking is getting spicier.

Lights- especially flourescent- drive me crazy. I feel all dreamy and out of it in stores.

No suggestions on what to do- sorry.
              Can you give me an example of the hyperactive startle reflex? Just curious.

We have the spicy food thing in common. I had to laugh as it seems, as time goes by, I can handle more and more hot sauce and other spicy things. I just tell people I must have burned my taste buds right off. :P

I know how you feel with the lights, as well.

However, either every light I encounter is broken... or I'm just "imagining" all of them flickering. Anyone else get that?
              [insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

Startle Reflex

My startle reflex has always been a result of hypervigilance which is a result of PTSD. Examples are if I am touched unexpectedly I jump, a doorbell or phone ringing can make me jump out of my skin. I don't think mine has anything to do with MS.
                M.
                A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                X