Chiropractor? For back pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chiropractor? For back pain?

Has anyone seen a chiropractor for back pain?

I used to see one when I was younger and always thought it was nice and made me feel a little better. In my search for a way to relieve some of my back pain, which is acredited to a wrongly healed lesion, I scheduled an appointment with one. I rather enjoyed the session and thought this might be a way to experience some relief. However, about an hour after leaving the office the pain returned worse than it had been prior to going. I am not sure if I was just going to have a bad night or if I shouldn't be seeing a chiropractor.

Any thoughts?

Althought I can appreciate your concern, as my first experience was quite like yours, I was glad I hung in there with an expert who saved my life. Chiro's have MORE training and experience with spinal issues than MDs. They usually have a wholistic approach, looking at your lifestyle, not just your back pain.

But I would not go to one who "cracks your vertebrae" in MY opinion. Its less intrusive to see one that uses the B.E.S.T. ( Bio-Energetic-Synchronization technique) type of techniques, and its less instrusive.

When you are "out of alignment"=sublaxated, your muscles and tendons are too. So when you are starting to go back into alignment they HURT, spasm. That is why you need to follow your chiro's advice. For example, if you are out of alignment.

Many of us are out of alignment and then it just takes one little move and POW.. such pain.

Talk to your chiro about your concerns ok? Good luck

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I've seen a chiro off and on for decades for different reasons. I get a massage at the same office, sometimes get an adjustment, sometimes not. I also feel better, then worse, then better after an adjustment. The best adjustments I've had lately have been to hips and knees. I am amazed at how this has helped.

You have to decide for you if they help or cause more problems. I don't do the neck adjustments anymore, they seem to cause some dizziness, so I stopped them.

Just telling you my experience. I recall others don't get adjusted specifically where they know there are lesions lurking.

Comment

I have a nice bulging disc on my lower lumbar. I used to go to a chiro for about 1 1/2 years until the 5th time my back went out. I decided to try to physical therapy and have to say it works better for me than a chiro did. Plus, the physical therapy helps my MS, etc. as well.

My back hasn't gone out since I started physical therapy and I now have exercises I can do on my own if my back starts to act up. This helped me this summer when I had a MS attack that left me paralyzed on my right side for a couple weeks. I was able to turtle roll myself over and try to do some back exercises so my back would stop hurting from not moving at all. They worked

It is for sure a personal opinion...the never-ending argument chiro vs physical therapy.

Regular massage also helped a lot (plus, it feels nice).
        dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

Good points, poster Keepin on made. My chiro has both a trainer AND masseuse in his practice along with nutrition testing and supplements, kinda the WHOLE pkg.

Before he recommended certain exercises/PT he had to make sure the spine is stable enough.. then he adds these other therapies. Finally you go in for regular adjustments to PREVENT further spinal issues.

But WE also must do our part in maintaining good spinal health, including diet, exercise, posture and watching what we sit/recline on. For example, if you have an adjustment, but then eat junk, slouch around on a sofe couch or recliner your treatment now is just cancelled out. Did the chiro do this to your back? No we did.

Find one who is wholistic, with many other therapies offered or at least referred to in the chiro's practice.

Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Yes!

I do not necessarily recommend 'any' type of chiro, but I do see one who is part of the Upper Cervical group. They can help you and I find this a gentle type of manipulation. They even have a 'spa-like' room with soft lights and music to rest in after treatment.

I 'really' like them and I think Upper Cervical is nation wide.

Diane
            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I've been seeing a chiropractor since my diagnosis. You have to find a good one that you click with and trust. There are good ones and bad ones, just like any other Dr.

My chiro now has massage and PT in his office. They call it the trifecta, get a massage, do PT and then see the chiro. He charges me $40.

I feel so much better when I'm seeing them. I haven't been in a few months and I can feel my body tightening and stiffing up.
              Thanks for posting this thread, I'm going to call and make any appt. tomorrow.
              Opiegirl, Dx 1991
              Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
              Estriol 9/12-present
              Still Hopeful.

Comment

Yes!

My chiro is my PCP. She's the doc who started me on the path to dx.

Keep in mind that with chiros, just like every other profession, there are some quacks out there. Do your research on the doc like you would any other doc and if they ever do anything you aren't comfortable with, fire them. This doesn't apply to just touching but also everything manipulations methods to topics of conversation. (I fired one for TMI-I really don't need to know bout the BMs of he & his wife<eewww!>)

My doc has massage therapy in the office (use it as often as the budget allows!) and probably has PT too, but I haven't needed it (yet).
                DX 10/2008
                Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I would only do massage.... leave the chiro alone... I have a massage every other week to keep me nice a relaxed. It really helps with the stress level.

Comment

Working...
                  X