Wondering outloud :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering outloud :)

As I wait for either a new lesion or second flair. I find myself wondering about my Dad's health history. When he was 38 he was hit head on by a Drunk Driver and suffered terrible brain damage the rest of his life.

That being said there are things that I wonder about. He had shingles and went temporarily blind for a few days. He was admitted. I remember being told it was neurological but my mom believes it was the shingles. (this was before the accident)

Then just before he died I had him here with me. He had some pretty serious complications and they did a MRI because they wanted to check the shunt.

The neurologist wanted to talk about all the holes in his brain as well as the big portion missing at the point of impact. I was overwhelmed and asked him couldn't the seizures have caused the holes but I get the feeling he was uncertain but didn't push it as my Dad was dying.

Now looking back I am wondering about those holes?! This was 2 years ago. Should I try to locate that MRI? What would I do with it?

My Dad lived 23 years after the accident could mulitple seizures caused him to have many holes.

What to do... what to do . I hate unanswered questions but I am guessing most of us do.

Thanks for listening if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Blessings,
    Lori
    Limbolander.... Lori
    This is the day the Lord has made I will rejoice in it!

Hi Lori Lee,

I'm sorry to hear of 23 years of suffering endured by your dad before passing.

And I guess you could locate the MRI from a few years ago to have a professional review.

Question is; How does this help you (knowing dad may have sx of MS)?

If you're only curious, fine, but if it is going to add stress there isn't a point. Others may respond differently maybe with a medical reason but I don't see it.

Don't hate unanswered questions. Life gives us a huge amount of unanswered questions of far more consequence.

Jer

Comment

So sorry for your pain and loss. If your dad had MS, an MRI alone would not tell you that. Age also takes it's toll on the brain. It seems that such a tragic accident would as well. There are other diseases as well that take their toll on the brain. Would it really answer questions for you or raise more questions? Seems that if you have MS that's enough for one to worry about. I've heard that only 20% of what we worry about is actually worth worrying about. Does that seem about right to you? Take care friend. Take care of whatever health you have left by not worrying about things you can't change.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, shingles is actually an infection of nerves so that would qualify them as a neurological problem and if it was around the eye/optic nerve, then it could cause blindness.

Comment

I appreciate all of the replies. I have just been thinking about my Dad a lot lately. The neuro I originally saw asked me over and over about family history and I was limited as to what I could share about my Dad.

I had shingles in 2008 but Thank the Lord I immediately went to the Dr and was treated so I only had one place at my temple at that was it.

It's not really stressing me but wondered if it would benefit me to have better knowledge. Truthfully, I feel pretty peaceful about my limbo status compared to this time last year.

For some reason I like things neat and tidy (no unanswered questions) but I do realize that is not realistic. I was always a planner but thankfully my husband is a roll with it kind of guy . We balance each other. I have learned to let go of things and he has learned to plan a little. LOL.

For what is worth I did call today and asked about getting a copy but because I do not have a poa then I most likely cannot get a copy but they were willing to dig a little to make sure. Either way I feel I tried and am not stressed if don't get them.

Warmly,
          Lori
          Limbolander.... Lori

Comment

When I was originally going through the dx process, the neuros kept asking about family history also. My mom and grandmother, along with a cousin all had MS.

My mom had an MRI long after dx but well into her progression.

My neuro wanted a copy, because I initially presented with atypical symptoms and test results.

My neuro wanted to compare the MRI films.

We needed a copy of the death certificate to get the films.

Eventually found out that they were probably distroyed because it had been years.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am definately the kind with the mantra: " a place for everything and everything in its place."

If there is a question- I want it answered. This personality trait can be very frustrating to myself and others!

I keep telling myself to let go- easier said than done.

Good Luck

Comment

Hi Nappy, I am so thankful you get where I am coming from. That in itself is strangely comforting . Thank You!

Blessings, Lori
              Limbolander.... Lori

Comment

You are very welcome!

Take care,

Comment

Hi Lori Lee -

Your dad had the MRI after the accident and the shingles were prior to the accident?

I'm not sure that MRI would give you a correct answer with all that happened to your dad after the accident.

What does your neuro say?

I don't know much about my maternal family - they kept LOTS of secrets about health. I tried to track down a bunch of stuff after my mom died because I was dx after and didn't get any answers out of my aunt. My grandparents had both died prior to dx too. I'm still curious and it drives me crazy sometimes not knowing - I couldn't prevent the MS but what if there is something else?

I understand that worry in the back of your head. It's hard to let it go. Since you had shingles once I would ask the neuro if there is a chance of it coming back - one of the triggers is stress so please don't get stressed. It's hard enough losing a parent and going through the uncertainty of a diagnosis.

Hugs
                  This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Working...
                  X