Therapy Sessions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Therapy Sessions??

When I 1st got diagnosed last year, I kinda knew I had MS, I have a family history of it, so it wasn't a surprise to me when they confirmed it with a spinal tap. So I just took the news and moved on. Never really had a break down about it, or was upset, just dealt with the injections and symptoms. Now 1 year later, my neurologist thinks its a good idea I see a therapist about having MS and talking about feelings and what I go through with MS and just my life in general. I am not one to open up to just anyone in 20 minutes. I need to learn I can trust you then I will open up.

I saw a therapist once he recommended, and 2 minutes after we met she dove right into how did you feel when you got diagnosed, I just broke down immediately. I didn't trust her, didn't know her and felt like she didn't know me at all. But more so, that session showed me I had a lot of feelings I never dealt with, if I was crying when she asked me about it. I do think it will be good for me to talk to someone about the whole MS thing.

Do you see a therapist for MS? Is it helpful? How often do you go?

Thanks for your help!!

depression and MS are very common partners. much more than any of us want to admit.

i'd been told before by neuros that i oughta try therapy.
    i did once long time ago - the guy was a quack! so i threw out the whole idea of ever going!

not a good idea. MS makes everyday living so much harder and with special stressers that reg. psychiatrists/ therapist/ etc aren't always able to handle.
    presently, i am seeing a therapist about MS & depression related to it. it has helped me tremendously!
    she's real easy to talk to like a friend. they're not all size fits one.
    i talked to her several times on phone before deciding to go. it took a lot of effort mentally to go and 1st few sessions left me moody as i processed stuff.
    so don't expect to go in depressed and come out little miss sunshine, i doubt it works that way with many people.

i pray that you find the help you need. it's hard to admit that you're seeing a psych. (at least for me, my dad doesn't know & he lives with us!)
    may you find the strength to get help, for me it was really worth it!
    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I have seen a therpist on and off for several years but not since being dx. I have often thought about it and I have about decided that would be the best thing for me. There are so many things I would like to talk about and family, though they try, just cannot understand. It seems as though there is something everyday I would like to share but I don't. Then when I do all I hear is " You think about it too much, don't dwell on it." Well that is easier said than done. I did tell my DW one day I have thought about going back to my therapist and she asked what for? Why do you do to see him?

I know I have always felt better after leaving his office. That being said I will make an appointment today. Good Luck to you on your decision.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

I don't see a therapist and have never been on anything for depression. The first summer I had with walking and balance issues I kinda thought I should get on a pill to make me feel happy again, but I didn't. Talked to my hubby about my feelings (he's my therapist- free of charge, he-he)! Just me- but I worked through it on my own. Well, not really- cause I had the wonderful folks here that offered comfort and support!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ttmont416 View Post
          When I 1st got diagnosed last year, I kinda knew I had MS, I have a family history of it, so it wasn't a surprise to me when they confirmed it with a spinal tap. So I just took the news and moved on. Never really had a break down about it, or was upset, just dealt with the injections and symptoms. Now 1 year later, my neurologist thinks its a good idea I see a therapist about having MS and talking about feelings and what I go through with MS and just my life in general. I am not one to open up to just anyone in 20 minutes. I need to learn I can trust you then I will open up.

I saw a therapist once he recommended, and 2 minutes after we met she dove right into how did you feel when you got diagnosed, I just broke down immediately. I didn't trust her, didn't know her and felt like she didn't know me at all. But more so, that session showed me I had a lot of feelings I never dealt with, if I was crying when she asked me about it. I do think it will be good for me to talk to someone about the whole MS thing.

Do you see a therapist for MS? Is it helpful? How often do you go?

Thanks for your help!!
          Welcome to the club that nobody wants to join, TTMont. You are very new to this diagnosis, so try to relax and absorb it in small chunks. This was not an easy time for any of us here. It gets better.

I just wanted to let you know that if you click back a little bit in this forum, there is a HUGE post about this very subject. The opinions were as varied as stars in the sky. The topic was explored from soup to nuts. It might be worth a read-through, but in the end, it's only your opinion that matters. Good luck friend, we feel your pain!
          Tawanda

Comment

Here's a link to the thread Tawanda mentioned.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114983

Comment

Working...
            X