Stubbing toe on ground when walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stubbing toe on ground when walking

Doesn't everyone do this? I always thought it was me being clumsy.
    I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Stubbing my toe

Yes, I stub my toes quiet often which tends to leads to a fall.

Comment

That is what is called foot drop, it can cause you to trip on a perfectly smooth floor. It was one of the 2 things that got me dx.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Who knew?

I've been blaming it on my clumsiness and shoes, it is always my right foot.
        M.
        A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
        Albert Einstein

Comment

I learned in physical therapy to be extra conscious of lifting my feet when I walk, especially my left side. It's better when I stay conscious of it. (And its awful when I'm unconscious...lol...just kidding).

Comment

Drop Foot

Does drop foot include the tripping up stairs that I am famous for?
            M.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes it sure is as the front of you foot drops down when you lift your leg where normally the top raises up when you take a step, If you observe both feet when walking you should be able to see a difference. I personally have a tendency to swing my bad leg out to the side when I walk. mine is caused more by weakness in my leg but others have it caused by weakness in the ankle. If I am sitting in a chair I can raise my right knee up and lift my foot off the floor, If I try that with my left leg it will not lift at all.

Google MS Foot drop and you will find many sites that describe it. A cane can help with it some and stop most of the falls.

Comment

I now use a walkaide and it has made a huge difference in my walking and the wear and tear on my shoes as you have brought up, I have five pairs of shoes that the right shoe is in good condition, and the left shoe has most of the sole worn down to nothing in the front.

I have also found that Ampyra has helped alot also.

For those that cannot afford a walkaide as insurance is still not covering them,(VA is now covering them) an AFO (ankle foot orthodic) may help and most insurance co will pay for them, just check out all of the types available as thier is a big difference between the different types out there. Try before you buy.

Comment

I looked at the soles of my shoes and the right one has almost no sole left and a brand new pair is all scuffed at the toe. I am forever tripping on stairs, my tile floors and sometimes on nothing. The best is falling up the stairs I always needed to becareful coming down because my legs give out but these days I need to be just as careful going up! I do have a cane but I hate to use it. I find the ankle brace more appealing since it is inconspicuous most of the time.

Comment

How we compensate

It amazes me how we adapt and compensate for "weaknesses" along the way. Whenever I am standing still, doing dishes or folding laundry, I bear all my weight on my left leg often moving or swing my right leg with toes just brushing the floor. My family calls it my dance.
                    M.
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

I wasn't crazy over using a cane at first, but fell once and partially tore my rotator cuff and decided it was time, choice was use the cane or eat concrete when I fell, easy choice for me.

Comment

Checked the shoes and every right shoe has more scuffs on the toe edge than the left. But by far, the most wear is on the outer heel portion. I'm a heavy heel walker. Boom. Boom. Boom. Some gals can walk gracefully and daintily in heels. I was never one of them, and today, avoid them like the plague.

Still skeptical about the foot drop thing though. I'm still of the mind that everyone does this from time to time. Maybe I'm just a little more clumsy than most that way. My right leg doesn't move the same as the left and has been off for years. The consensus on the reason has always been a leg length discrepancy and minor hip dysplasia. The flat feet don't help much either.

The front of my lower leg does tire fairly easily these days, and I will tend to trip on my toes more often when it does. So either I'm choosing denial or conservativism. But I haven't fallen yet, dare I tempt fate by mentioning this? So far, it's only been stumbles. But today, it happened while descending the staircase at school. The potential for a less than graceful landing was there. Maybe I just need to slow down a little, or do more strength training, or something.

Comment

I can't say I have a drop foot but since high school my right shoe always is scuffed up on the front. In the same shoe my heel always wears out first. I thought it was because I was compensating for the weakness on my left side. However now that I think about it, I'm always tripping over stuff and usually with the right foot. It's also my lead foot. Ugh... this is all so confusing. Just another question for my neuro tomorrow.

Comment

BTL, if you get an answer, I'd be interested in hearing what it is.

Guess I'll just keep this one on the back burner and see if any patterns emerge. To me, it was always one of those random, hormonal clumsiness or fatigue related issues. Another easy excuse is wearing a new pair of shoes. Certain shoes seem to be worse than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
                              That is what is called foot drop, it can cause you to trip on a perfectly smooth floor. It was one of the 2 things that got me dx.
                              Same story here.
                              I started to walk like a drunk. Would trip,stagger,sometimes fall down.
                              It is hard on the body (falling & breaking toes) but it is harder on the ego.
                              On more than one occasion I have over heard people saying;"Whats the matter with that guy?" or "Wow that guy is loaded in the middle of the day."

Makes me want to start drinking. Then I would have an excuse?

Comment

Working...
                              X