Aching in joints. Sore all the time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aching in joints. Sore all the time.

My doc told me that MS doesn't cause joint pain. I'm only 42 and I feel like I'm 80. It takes me a while to stand up. I always have to stretch, or I can't walk. It's not just my joints, it's just a general achiness.

My PC recently reduced my neurontin and tegretol doses. She says I'm on too much medication. I'm wondering if this has caused some of my pain to come back. I also have spacticity in my left leg. My pain and weakness has come back there, too.

Anyone else have just general pain all the time? Sore, tight muscles? Aching joints? Nausea? Fatigue?

Could any this be related to Avonex?

On bad days, my legs do ache all the time... Turns out its muscle tightness (not spasticity according to the "medical" definition according to my PCP). Baclofen is a huge help with that one. Sounds like the medication reduction may have hurt you

Comment

I am on Avonex and I am also in pain all over my whole body. I couldnt specify one place cause its everywhere. Its my joints and my muscles. My neuro keeps saying "MS doesnt cause pain" then he wants me to see my PCP to see if its something else. Well my PCP says to see the neuro. So I have been researching myself and wondering if I may have Fibromyalgia. I made an appt on my own for a Rheumatologist. I had the body aches before the avonex and the MS dx, but I do feel the Avonex may have intensified it. IDK I am at a loss and I have not been given anything for pain

Comment

I have pain everywhere also. Sometimes, it feels like joint pain. I have Tramadol for when for when it gets bad. It was one of my first symptoms. I get a lot more pain if i don't get enough sleep. I'm on Copaxone.

Comment

Avonex?

I've had this joint and muscle pain before Avonex as well. It seems like it's much worse since I started my shots. I've been on Avonex for 3 years. I've had no new lesions, so it seems to be doing it's job. But, I can't help but think that the Avonex is the cause of a lot of my aches and pains, not to mention my increasing feelings of depression.

My PC took halfed my doses of Neurontin and Tramadol. She told me I was on too much medication (like it was my fault). I didn't prescribe these meds to myself. Now, I'm having foot drop and a really stiff left leg. My spacticity is worse. I don't see my MS doc until February.

Hard to know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Coachtina22 View Post
            I am on Avonex and I am also in pain all over my whole body. I couldnt specify one place cause its everywhere. Its my joints and my muscles. My neuro keeps saying "MS doesnt cause pain" then he wants me to see my PCP to see if its something else. Well my PCP says to see the neuro. So I have been researching myself and wondering if I may have Fibromyalgia. I made an appt on my own for a Rheumatologist. I had the body aches before the avonex and the MS dx, but I do feel the Avonex may have intensified it. IDK I am at a loss and I have not been given anything for pain
            I am sorry to hear everyone's story of pain. However, I am really angry at the Dr. who says "MS doesn't cause pain". This is an old idea and one that has been disproven. MS can cause very real very harsh pain. Please seek out a new Dr. who knows something about MS.

Comment

For what it's worth, I have far less muscle pain since my vitamin D levels are more normal. I take way less pain medication. Might be worth getting your levels checked if you haven't done so.

Comment

Originally posted by jkp79 View Post
                I am sorry to hear everyone's story of pain. However, I am really angry at the Dr. who says "MS doesn't cause pain". This is an old idea and one that has been disproven. MS can cause very real very harsh pain. Please seek out a new Dr. who knows something about MS.
                Just to be clear, my Doc didn't say MS didn't cause pain. He said it didn't cause joint pain.

I am having labs drawn next week to check my Vit D levels. I've never had an issue so far with it being low.

Comment

I had joint pain when I started neurontin. My MS doc

reduced the dose and I still had it but not as bad. He said

just stay with the reduced dose for a week and see what happens.

Sure enough the joint pain went away. The pain the

neurontin was supposed to help however, is still

there. But now that my body is used to this dosage I

believe he will bump it back up. I wonder if you are

having a reaction from the change to a lower dose that will

level off?

Comment

The doc lowered my dose back in July. I think whatever's going to happen has already happened.

Comment

I have been going through an extreme bout of this for the last 6 months. even my teeth (and I mean all of them and no dental issues) have been hurting everyday thru this. I too was expecting it to be blamed on fibro. I had a dr appt mon and I was told it was my nerve endings. he gave me lyrica and a bout of steroids. We'll see how it helps. my teeth, wrists and whole hands just hurt. I find myself running hot water on them alot!!!
                      Kathy

Comment

Joint pain

Have you been on steroids? I actually was being treated with steroids and my knees felt like someone hit me in them with a baseball bat. I was told to go to er. The steroids actually caused this thong called ANL it's where the blood isn't being passed through the bone and it breaks down the bone. It's rare but does happen. Maybe you may want to ask if that's a possibility.
                        Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
                        My doc told me that MS doesn't cause joint pain. I'm only 42 and I feel like I'm 80. It takes me a while to stand up. I always have to stretch, or I can't walk. It's not just my joints, it's just a general achiness.

My PC recently reduced my neurontin and tegretol doses. She says I'm on too much medication. I'm wondering if this has caused some of my pain to come back. I also have spacticity in my left leg. My pain and weakness has come back there, too.

Anyone else have just general pain all the time? Sore, tight muscles? Aching joints? Nausea? Fatigue?

Comment

No steriods.

I haven't had steriods since 2008 to clear up optic neuritis. PC says it's not arthritis. The pain is excruciating at times. I'm tired of going to doctors and getting no answers. I'm starting to feel like they think I'm trying to get pain meds. I suffered for a year with severe spacticity in my leg. I was offered everything from Valium to Oxycontin. I turned them all down. Is it something besides the MS? I'm so confused.

Comment

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post

Kitty,
                            While it COULD be from the Avonex, I would believe it would be more isolated to specific times. ALSO (and THIS is the important thing) DO NOT blame M.S. for everything. I say this because I DO think you should see your PCP for your symptoms.

Too often we MS'ers blame MS for things that may need to be further investigated. I, for one, put off seeing my PCP about specific pain in my back, that traveled up to my neck. When it reached my neck (months and months later) it was so extreem, I ended up in ER. After that incident, I had to follow up with my PCP who ordered an MRI of my neck. THAT MRI (along with my symptoms) caused my PCP to conclude that I have Ankylosing Spondylitis. I do not know if there is a connection with MS... but regardless...this is an example of why you should NOT "blow it off" to MS.

Hope you get to your PCP soon.
                            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I have had joint pain so bad all over I have nearly been bed ridden with it. It happened during a flare that lasted for over a year. It now just comes and goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X