Cold feet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold feet?

And I mean this literally. I know that MS is supposed to make you sensitive to heat, which hasn't been my problem. My issue is that I've alwaus beeb very sensitive to the cold, even when I bundle up.

But my feet sometimes feel very chilled. This might not be an MS issue, and I keep forgrtting to ask my neuro,ogist. But I'm wondering if this isn't a nerve conduction issue. I'm going to do some google searches. But I also thought I'd ask whether anyone else has had to deal with this.

Thanks for replies.
    Liz

Liz - I do not always have "cold feet" but on most days at least one foot or one hand is extremely cold and very difficult to warm up - goes on all the time - very strange.

I also am not heat sensitive but I am usually very cold. I do occasionally use the heating pad to warm them up.

Comment

Hi Liz, yep- me too!! My weak foot is extremely cold, when it's not busy burning! When hubby gives me a foot rub (with socks on) he says the left one is alot colder that the right one.

Yes- I think it is ms related, also my left hand and afew inches above the wrist are usually a given also.

Just last week I sent for some socks/slippers from a catalog I received in the mail. They can be put in the freezer/refrigerator or the microwave. Which ever way you need them at the time. Haven't used them yet, but will later today. Have the burning issues now, so put them in the refrigerator for a few hours and will give them a try. Can't walk in them tho- not made for that. Just to sit and give your feet some relief!!

Comment

hi liz,
        my wife says "your feet couldn`t melt ice"! when i have the electric blanket on, it`s cold whever my feet are.
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Liz,
          Are your hands cold too? If so, you might have Reynaud's Syndrome. It's a "minor" autoimmune disease. Just causes your hands and feet to cool off too much.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for input. I'll try the microwavable socks. It's a great idea. I also have wonderful loose socks made of polartec that I sometimes sleep in.

By the way I do have Reynaud's, but it's kept under control with the ace inhibitor that I take for hypertension.

I'll ask my neurologist about cold sensations when I see her again, but she'll probably say screwy nerves.

liz

Comment

Have you had your thyroid checked? That is one of the symptoms of that. I was wearing socks to bed this summer for Pete's sake I'd still wake up with frozen toes. I would call your pcp if it hasn't been checked in the past few months.

Debbie

Comment

My feet feel cold, to me. If my husband feels my feet he tell me they are warm. I have cold sensations with my feet that are MS related.

I wear socks year round. In the summer my kitchen floor (hardwood) as well as capeted areas feels cold on my feet. That sensation climbs up into my legs...this is MS related.

If your feet feel cold to you but someone else feels your feet and they are warm, more than likely it is the MS. Many people without this disease deal with cold feet. When uncertain if something is normal or not, MS related or not check with your PCP to rule out other causes.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Snoopy-
                  You described me exactly. My feet will feel like they are freezing. I will put on socks. Put the heating pad under the covers, the electric blanket... you name it.

Finally, I will cram my feet under my husbands legs trying to warm them up. He always responds with," it is all in your head, just tell yourself they feel warm. " But he lets me keep them their if it helps me get to sleep.

I notice it more when I am trying to relax or sleep. I take 1200 neurontin at bedtime, so when it finally kicks in, I can sleep for a while.

Comment

When you feel the cold sensation in your fingers and toes, do they turn almost white? I've been experiencing tingling, pins and needles when the tempature drops (lately, even if it's below 65!) in a few fingers and toes (not all), but the tips of my fingers turn white!

Is this similar to what you all are experiencing? I'm fairly new to MS (I've had symptoms for several years, just diagnosised in September), and have NO idea what's MS, what's another possible diagnosis, or what's all in my head,

Comment

Working...
                    X