MS & a Tattoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS & a Tattoo

So I am sure people have brought this up before but was curious if there were any more insights into getting a tattoo after the MS DX.

I am getting one later this week (left a message for my neuro to let her know in case she has any issues but haven't heard back yet). I like to get tattoo's that represent change in my life (good or bad)...and, well, MS is a change.

So I am getting some words of pseudo enlightenment tattooed – “C'est La Vie”.

I thought about getting “**** happens”, but figured some people would find that offensive (though, it makes me laugh ). Thinking of myself at 80 y.o. with that tattooed on me makes me giggle...maybe I have finally lost my mind

Anyone have a tattoo done after DX? Bad MS responses? No MS responses? Just curious.

Thanks,
    Keepin On
    dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

I've done a search on here before just typing in 'tattoo' and people don't seem to have any issues, but of course wait and see what your neuro says about it.

I am getting one on my year anniversary in November of James 1:2-3 "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness."
    "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power
    is made perfect in weakness." -2 Cor. 12:9

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

Most reputable tattoo shops use good quality inks that won't cause any issues on an MRI. I've gotten two tattoos since my diagnosis and one is MS tattoo.

I have a snake (representing the MonSter and it's Hug) in greens and purples and it's being entangled by the Orange MS ribbon. The snake is losing the battle. It's on the side of my calf and it's a great conversation starter! Tats are not everyone's thing, but for some of us it's an expression of what we're facing in our lives at different times.

Go for it! And let us know how it turns out!
      Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

Comment

Thanks Kelsey and gypsy!

We should start a MS Tattoo photo album

Comment

I just got a new one in July.

1st one I've gotten since my diagnosis (2008). Everything was fine. The only time I think you would have to worry about a tattoo with an MRI is if you got metallic ink. I say, go for it. I'm already ready for another.

Comment

MS & a Tattoo

We should start a MS Tattoo photo album [/QUOTE]

you should...i've been wanting to get a new tattoo since i was diagnosed, but not sure what to get. i'd love to see others to get ideas!
            Jennie

try to smile through the pain

Comment

kittysmith - I am super excited ... makes me feel like a teenager again since that was the last time I had one done

jennieb - I think after I get the ink done, I will take a pic and start an album

Comment

Tattoo

I am in mid diagnosis and definitely think a second tattoo is in my future. I got my first tattoo 2 years ago, I was 48 and had been going through a very difficult time and designed it myself. Small, simple, on the inside of my wrist. I have always known I would get another and had thought about having it put on the back of my neck. Given the whole MRI issue that MS brings up I think I'll go for the top of my foot. Like the inside of my wrist, the top of my foot can be a visible reminder that inspires me.
                M.
                A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                Albert Einstein

Comment

MRI and ink

I don't have one, but I was going to bring up the ink thing. I've heard that dark inks can sometimes contain metal, but you can check with your tatoo artist. If s/he doesn't know, you might want to go to a different one who does.

Comment

I had two tattoos done right after my diagnosis, and had one already done before. I didn't have any bad response whatsoever, and my doctor only said just make sure the shop was clean. My artist destroyed the needles right in front of me and was more than willing to let me check out his facilities before the first tattoo.

On a side note. If you wanted your tattoo to look all grammatically nice or whatever it is I might suggest lowercase like this: "C'est la vie." I'm taking french right now and that's one thing I've seen a lot of is people looking back at tattoos done in foreign languages and having had people comment on grammar/punctuation/etc. On the other hand though I do think the capitalization the way you put it is pretty.

I agree with a tattoo after MS. After my diagnosis the ones I got were:

The Libra Scales of Balance on the right side of my chest (an actual picture)
                    The phrase: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight." on the left side of my chest. I felt it was appropriate, and as I said, neither of them were ever a problem.

Good luck on your ink! As my tattoo artist always reminded me,"Your body is a temple. The walls of a temple are meant to tell a story, so what is the point of leaving them blank?"
                    Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
                    Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

What great feedback! It's nice to know that other people have had ink done since diagnosis...I was a little nervous

From what I have heard, no tattoo ink should have metals in them anymore (pre-1990 maybe do though). That would be my luck though! MRI's suck enough...sitting in there worrying if your skin/tattoo's were going to hurt would be horrible!

a.nukem - Funny you should say that. I have been trying to figure out if I like the look of the capitalization of each word or if I want to keep it grammatically correct. Haven't decided yet I love the saying you quoted as well, it would make me smile seeing that when I was down in the dumps, I hope that is what it does for you

Comment

I got a tattoo in my early 20s, and this past summer out of nowhere, I suddenly decided I needed a dragonfly. So at 43, I will be getting my second tatto shortly, as soon as I find an artist I like.

Comment

Alrighty, got my tattoo and it went perfectly!

Thought I would share something you all would appreciate. During the tattoo I was chatting with the artist, who asked me why I decided on the tattoo. Here is the convo:

Me: "Well I was diagnosed with MS and thought it would be time to get a tattoo to recognize the change in my life"
                          Artist: "MS...I knew someone with MS when I was a kid. That's what Jerry Lewis did the telethons for, right?"
                          Me: "Actually, that's Muscular Dystrophy, but people mix them up all the time"
                          Artist: "Oh, hhmmm. What's the difference"

It's nice when people do ask questions to understand it better, but it still makes me laugh. I appreciated his curiosity.

So I think the next tattoo I get should be "I have Multiple Sclerosis. No, not like Jerry's kids"

Comment

Why not!

Oh heck, if you are careful to go to a good tatoo practioner, why not. That won't do anything to worsen your MS. I would go ahead and do it. I think if it were me i'd have some sort of MS message, like MS with an X over it or something clever. You can google MS art and likely find something you would like.

I don't have any tatoos (I'm 66 and in my 'day' tatoos were not cool). Now they are 'in' so go ahead if that's your style.

Send us a picture :-)

Just be careful as I mentioned, to use a good tatoo artist who is using good methods.

Diane
                            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Originally posted by Keepin_on View Post
                              Alrighty, got my tattoo and it went perfectly!

Thought I would share something you all would appreciate. During the tattoo I was chatting with the artist, who asked me why I decided on the tattoo. Here is the convo:

Me: "Well I was diagnosed with MS and thought it would be time to get a tattoo to recognize the change in my life"
                              Artist: "MS...I knew someone with MS when I was a kid. That's what Jerry Lewis did the telethons for, right?"
                              Me: "Actually, that's Muscular Dystrophy, but people mix them up all the time"
                              Artist: "Oh, hhmmm. What's the difference"

It's nice when people do ask questions to understand it better, but it still makes me laugh. I appreciated his curiosity.

So I think the next tattoo I get should be "I have Multiple Sclerosis. No, not like Jerry's kids"
                              hahahahahahahahahahahaha Excellent story!!!
                              [insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

Working...
                              X