Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone else hear music?

hi

so i went to my neuro today, i brought a list of symptoms to tell him about. one of which was i hear music at night. not every night and not coming out of a radio. umm just in my head!

i knew i wasnt' losing it and it had to be an ms thing. some ngihts are worse than others..... it's big band music, other nights club music and i can actually hear ppl screaming while partying and dancing.

yes very bizarre. i thought ok well that's it i've finally bought the farm LOL. apparently not. he said short circuiting you have alot of it. i said if i hear music during the day can we find a med to stop that? he said idk let's hope you dont' get that.

yea let's hope so! anyone else have a band in their head??
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Yes

I hear cocktail party murmurings, music from the forties, clinking tea cups, laughter ... all the sounds that i imagine have been in this very old house where I live.

I went to an ENT, asked about it... he gave me an audiology test (buzzes and beeps) and said my hearing was in the normal range.

Asked me if I'd like to take an herbal treatment that I could only get through his office, four tablets a day, about a hundred days or so, with a price that stopped me cold.

Anyway, as usual i found an answer here on the web: it is called musical ear syndrome. It used to be called an auditory hallucination years ago, but that title was misleading. It happens most often to people with a hearing loss, and is reportedly our brain trying to fill the void.

Whatever it is, it stopped for me after about three months.

Would I call that a relapse, then? I have no idea.
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

I've not heard music, but I have smelled things that evidently weren't there - anything. Yes, my desk chair is next to a window, but there is no way I can smell mustard like there is a plate of it in front of me through the window. Our neighbors are close, but not THAT close.
      Diagnosis: May, 2008
      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I'd often smelled smoke when there was none, and couldn't smell a skunk when it was driving my husband crazy.

The lesions in my brain are "innumerable" and everywhere... no doubt they affect messages from our ears, our sense of scent, we know our eyesight ...

It's just MS, it's maddening, but not deadly. Unless there is smoke and I can't smell it...

I still think this is Parkinson's. Stubborn, I am.
        First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
        Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

hi so again i am not alone. love that, yet sorry that you guys also share the oddities of this often fun and interesting disease we share lol.

there was a real technical medical name for it my neuro gave me. i'll email and get it and post it. it def. wasn't that thing you mentioned.

how do you cope with it? lately iv'e been doing imagery around the noises i hear so i calm and don't panic. i try to look at it as a gift of sorts and it has actually helped me welcome it and it eases my body at night and helps me fall asleep.

so interesting and weird all this junk.
          Jen Dx'd 5/11
          "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

I hear music sometimes at night and have attributed it to the ceiling fan in my room and the furnace running up the duct work in my wall right by my bed. I figured it was my ears hearing white noise and making sense of it itself.
            I do smell things that aren't there quite often. Mostly smoke or something burning, as if someone cooked something and burned it.
            DX 10/26/11

Comment

I hear music and murmured voices at night too. I've never told anyone because I was afraid of being labeled as mentally ill. I guess MS can mascarade as anything.

Comment

tinnitus ??

I don't hear music but I do have tinnitus as a result of Menieres Disease. The sounds varies and also the volume.
                Usually it sounds like humming and is low in volume.
                Other times, it can sound much louder and sound like a roaring ocean.
                When the volume and sounds intensify I am usually experiencing other symptoms such as hearing loss, fullness in my ear and worse balance issues.
                What I do to cope with it is either listen to music or put the tv
                on and go to sleep. Hope it gets better for you. Maybe you should see a ENT.

Comment

I don't hear music, but I've smelled the smell of wood smoke before for weeks at a time, and "seen" colored pinwheels and scrolls with my eyes closed. I've also "seen" cats running around my house, when my two were sleeping on the end of my sofa.

I've woken up at night and though that my dresser and wall pictures had been replaced. Also, one night, I saw my brain MRI projected on the ceiling, every single time I woke up that night. And I once thought a possum was trying to crawl through one of the paintings on the wall and found myself wacking the picture with my pillow to scare the "possum" away.

My latest weirdness is that twice in the last few weeks, when I close my eyes to go to sleep, I "see" words like a dim page from a book or Bible. I can see the letters on the page, but I can't quite read what they say. This goes on for several minutes before they fade away.

(I'm actually afraid to tell my doctor about some of this stuff. I don't want to be dragged off by the men with white suits and butterfly nets! I just want the weird to stop!)
                  Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                  Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                  Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

YESS but only 1x did I hear music..guess when?
                    I flushed the toilet..but I have to hold the handle..and the whole time heard music!!!

But while I was having weird signs/hallucinations I was having an excerbation and popping up new lesions.
                    I never had any of these smells or signs since.

They are listed in simple partial seizures..but not necessarily epilepsy!!!

Funny thread.. Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!
                    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I have been hearing music when I'm in my room with the air conditioner and fan on. Kind of like the ice-cream man is driving around about 3 or 4 blocks away. Faint, but definitely there. It progressed to distinct melody lines and background rhythms that I can sing back to my family and fiancee. They repeat a few times and then morph into something else.

Like valeriem, I wonder if it's my brain filling in. I am a singer, after all, and went to college for Opera. So I'm used to hearing music.

I've also been hearing voices and noises, like an old 40's radio show when I lay down for bed or when I'm calm and resting, for YEARS. I always figured it was just an internal monologue and that I have a very active imagination. Most times I hear about things that I think I have no clue about, like statistics or engineering or something way in left field.

Glad to know I'm not alone!

Current Dx: Poss. MS pending MRI / LP
                      *Living In Limboland*

Comment

Originally posted by Dennah View Post
                        I have been hearing music when I'm in my room with the air conditioner and fan on.
                        Sometimes if there is background noise such as A/Cs or fans or rushing water, you'll get what is called audio matrixing. It's where your brain is trying to make sense of what you're hearing, so it "invents" something like music or voices that makes sense of the background noise. It's similar to visual matrixing where we see faces or pictures in smoke, clouds, etc. It's actually a normal phenomenon.
                        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I haven't heard music, but there were times I could hear faint voices. I thought my house was haunted! Sometimes it sounded like a radio was on and I would try to figure out what was being said!

Occasionally, at night, I get a "scrapping" noise. It hasn't disturbed me too much. I think I'm too tired. Basically, these noises come and go.

I haven't had any sense of smell phenomenon, except the overwhelming buttered toast I smelled years ago before I was diagnosed. There's probably a connection there, but I tend to laugh about that one.

Comment

omg i am not dx'ed yet still working on it but thought I was losing my mind cause I have the same problem. Everyone thought I was crazy when I said I hear music at night in my head when trying to go to bed. So glad I am not the only one

Comment

I always have tinnitus (normal hearing though) and sometimes I hear music or smell scents that aren't really there. The odors can occur anytime, but the music thing is more common at night - low background kind of music.

Sometimes I have dreams with really vivid music "soundtracks." After I saw the ENT and determined my hearing was normal and I did not have Meniere's I quit worrying about it. My neuros have never known what to make of this, had no advice.

I have a "white noise" machine that I use if the music really bothers me. It's battery-powered, about the size of a cellphone, and I can choose from about 6 different noises - waves breaking, wind blowing, birds chirping, babbling brook. Works pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                              X